Access Point

ABLE1

Hello all,

The filters and replacement PLM were received on Wednesday and I was on site 

Thursday, yesterday.  The first thing that was done was to install the filters at 

possible problem points.  Then after finding major issues getting customers laptop

connected to his network and the internet *^%$&(@&^%  I logged on to the software.

I had to do a re-link of devices about 2 or 3 times but finally everything came back up.

Test operation of devices and all was good.  Especially those that had been a problem

for some time.  So all is good and the new PLM was placed on the shelf for future.

It seems that some devices were sucking up the signals or placing too much garbage

on the line.  At this point I do not care what or which devices since, trying to figure

that out will just take far too much time. 

Oh, as Murphy always has involvement it everything I do, always!!!  I had purchased 

five(5) noise filters, one(1) was to be a spare.  One(1) unit was DOA.  When plugged 

into an outlet then any device plugged into the filtered port would not operate.

Once I returned to my office I used my meter to test the unit.  When plugged in the

socket shows 122vac.  When a load is plugged into the socket the voltage drops to zero.  

The unit is being returned for credit, and return shipping label sent.  So no harm, no foul.  

Can't imagine what could be the problem but a 20% failure rate is not good.  

I am glad I got a spare.  Otherwise I could be further challenged.

I really appreciate the extra insight from those that responded to my initial query.

Thanks and have a good weekend.

Les

I can see a DOA FilterLinc.

There is a thread here with photos of bad FilterLinc Modules.

The heavy current coils in them sometimes do not get soldered well to the PCB and will not pass the load.

Your high impedance meter was probably a small enough load to not cause a bad solder joint to show up but a regular load current could not pass.

FYI. It has a soldered in wire leaded fuse. Over load it and blow the fuse. The filtered outlet goes dead. The unfiltered pass through on the front still will work.

<snipped>

Oh, as Murphy always has involvement it everything I do, always!!!  I had purchased 

five(5) noise filters, one(1) was to be a spare.  One(1) unit was DOA.  When plugged 

into an outlet then any device plugged into the filtered port would not operate.

Once I returned to my office I used my meter to test the unit.  When plugged in the

socket shows 122vac.  When a load is plugged into the socket the voltage drops to zero.  

The unit is being returned for credit, and return shipping label sent.  So no harm, no foul.  

Can't imagine what could be the problem but a 20% failure rate is not good.  

I am glad I got a spare.  Otherwise I could be further challenged.

I really appreciate the extra insight from those that responded to my initial query.

Thanks and have a good weekend.

Les

Where is this being returned to?

Almost every item I have purchased from SH, so far, never worked as in DOA. They always tell me (in Canada), that shipping is my problem making the items garbage. The shipping costs me more than the units cost.  I don't buy from SH anymore regardless of supposed sales prices and they waited almost a month to ship my last defective items. I should have returned the items anyway and made them pay the brokerage fees and taxes going across the border. :)

aartech.ca has always been the complete opposite with SH products.

Brian,

I didn't bother with the FilterLinc.  Really not worth my time.

But getting a bad one is a bit of PITA since it does burn up

more time just dealing with it.

I know it is not a perfect world.  I really do!!   But I do wish it could be

improved.  Sadly I think it is going the other way.  In the past number

years I find it amazing that for one individual person(company)

could have received so many defective products that were DOA astounds me.

I had two separate fire alarm jobs over a two year period.  Used the

exact same model fire panel(upper end addressable)  Received a total

of three(3) defective panels out of the box.  Turns out (long story short)

that a single screw was not being installed on the assembly line by just one(1)

production worker.  Out of thousands of these panels being produced and

sold, how one individual/company could receive three bad panels over a 

two year time frame??  I don't think the odds can be calculated.

On the good side the manufacture stood up and did the right thing.

They blessed me with a $1000.00 panel as an apology to make it right

with me.  I am and always will be a solid customer.

All is good!!

Les

Almost every item I have purchased from SH, so far, never worked as in DOA. They always tell me (in Canada), that shipping is my problem making the items garbage. The shipping costs me more than the units cost.  I don't buy from SH anymore regardless of supposed sales prices and they waited almost a month to ship my last defective items. I should have returned the items anyway and made them pay the brokerage fees and taxes going across the border. :)

Purchase from SH.  I called and reported the issue to customer service.

I said right away that I wanted credit back to my card and was not interested

in paying for return shipping on a bad part.  

I expected a "sorry we don't do that".  But was presently surprised.

It is in the mail box as we speak. 

Les

Purchase from SH.  I called and reported the issue to customer service.

I said right away that I wanted credit back to my card and was not interested

in paying for return shipping on a bad part.  

I expected a "sorry we don't do that".  But was presently surprised.

It is in the mail box as we speak. 

Les

Wow! I got the run around! I was threatened that if the device was tested good I would have to pay for shipping both ways. SH saw me coming. I am sitting on two defective devices from that order now. One more to go. :(

Sorry to hear about your troubles.  Hard to explain even with a lot of "maybe this or maybe that"

Regardless your experience does not shed a good light on customer service after the sale.  

As I have  heard, when an individual has a problem with a business transaction

they will tell at least 4 other people.  Those people will tell another 20.

And those will tell another 60 and so on.  It is bad for business all the way

around.  That being said, how many have read your posting on the topic??

On the other hand some businesses do the right thing every time and then 

there are others that just don't get it............. ever.   :roll:

If the returns are a small percentage, the cost to make right can be easily absorbed.

If the returns are large then something needs to be fixed at the mfg. end but

still take care of the customer first.

I could go on but it boils down to common sense and business 101.

bla bla bla bla bla   :shock:

nuff said................................................

Have a good weekend.

Les

Archived