Any "Gotchas" to Look Out For...

johnjces

Because I have been "cheap" I have kept my Insteon Hub connected to Amazon's Echo (Alexa), but the forum posts have been correct. It has been a PITA to keep things synchronized and working properly having both the ISY and the Hub and the ISY works so much better, is easier and just a neat piece of electronic equipment! The hub might be causing some of my ghost problems as well.

So, before I order up the the Portal Integration Module, what are the things I should be cautious of or take care of? Any order in doing things?

I thought that I should... (in my perceived order)

1). delete all scenes from the Hub

2). delete all devices from the Hub

3). disable the Insteon/Echo integration.

4). purchase and install the ISY Portal Module

5). follow the instructions in the wiki for Alexa integration.

Any thoughts, comments, hints etc are welcome! Am I missing anything?

Thanks!!

John

Because I have been "cheap" I have kept my Insteon Hub connected to Amazon's Echo (Alexa), but the forum posts have been correct. It has been a PITA to keep things synchronized and working properly having both the ISY and the Hub and the ISY works so much better, is easier and just a neat piece of electronic equipment! The hub might be causing some of my ghost problems as well.

So, before I order up the the module, what are the things I should be cautious of or take care of? Any order in doing things?

I thought that I should... (in my perceived order)

1). delete all scenes from the Hub

2). delete all devices from the Hub

3). disable the Insteon/Echo integration.

4). purchase and install the ISY module

5). follow the instructions in the wiki for Alexa integration.

Any thoughts, comments, hints etc are welcome! Am I missing anything?

Thanks!!

John

Primarily you don't want to have a module or device installed in both the hub and the ISY at the same time. If you're not planning on using the HUB then you should remove any devices from the HUB that you'll be using in the ISY as a device can only be linked to one controller at a time. 

It's best to do a factory reset on any device before you add it to the ISY. That way you're sure to get a clean install.

Just to clear up on terminology: The ISY is not a module, it's an Insteon manager, just as the Hub is, but the ISY is considerably more powerful. There are add-on modules for the ISY, such as a Z-Wave module and others. Not all modules are physical, the IR module is, the network module is not.

If you want to continue using the ISY with Alexa, the you should  get the ISY portal ($49/2 yrs). That will also allow off-site access. If you want/need full smart phone control, then you'll need a 3rd party app.

@Stu

The network module and the ISY portal are in fact modules, software modules and one must purchase them and it must be installed and/or activated on the ISY. The portal is the module that needs to be purchased and installed for Alexa integration and therefore the reason why I was being cheap... And...

The ISY is not a module.....

I am not certain how I misguided anyone in my writing to say or infer that the ISY is a module so that it needed clarification! I have read and reread my post and I don't understand where or how you got that out of my text.

I am not trying to be a jerk. I am honestly trying to post clear, concise and proper questions. Please advise. Maybe I should have stated, "before I order up the Portal module..." instead of "order up the module". Dunno.

John

I never said the the network and portal are not modules. I only indicated that some modules are physical entities, others are not. You did mention the, "ISY module," you did not mention the portal at all (see post #1). Just trying to clear up a very possible misinterpretation based on what you actually wrote, not what you were thinking B)

To the OP one thing I would humbly suggest is you purchase the network module separately. The ISY Portal includes the network module but is tied to the subscription.

Going my way should you ever decide to not renew your subscription you would still have the power of the native network module in the controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Techman

When doing a factory reset on my Insteon devices, should the device be deleted from the ISY first?

OR, is it okay to factory reset the device without deleting it from the ISY and then just add the device again in the ISY?

Other forum posts i read just mention the factory reset then re-add; nothing about deleting the device from the ISY.

John

It really doesn't matter which you do first, delete the device or reset the device. But, you'll need to delete the device from the ISY before adding it. Otherwise, the ISY will indicate that the device already exists.

@Techman

When doing a factory reset on my Insteon devices, should the device be deleted from the ISY first?

OR, is it okay to factory reset the device without deleting it from the ISY and then just add the device again in the ISY?

Other forum posts i read just mention the factory reset then re-add; nothing about deleting the device from the ISY.

John

In addition to Stuviews's reply, if you have any devices that are installed in the ISY then deleted, and that were related to an ISY program or scene,  then the scene and/or program will show a null for that device. You'll need to add the device back to the program/scene.

Alternatively, you could simply factory reset the device and then use Restore Device. All links and program statements will be back to where they were before you factory reset the device. This is actually the best choice to opt for first.

Archived