Polyglot Autelis Pool Control Node Server

Goose66

• 3 weeks later...

Does the Zodiac one also support iAqualink?

No. Both of these are written for the Autelis Pool Control device (http://www.autelis.com/pool-control-for-jandy-zodiac.html) which interfaces directly with your pool controller utilizing the four-wire control panel protocol. The Autelis device is a cheaper alternative to iAquaLink and works with older firmware on the Jandy/Zodiac controllers.

Unfortunately, as we have found, the same basic Autelis Pool Control device does not offer a consistent interface between Jandy/Zodiac and Pentair controllers due to the differences in these platforms, thus the need for two different and separately maintained Polyglot Node Servers.

BTW, the Autelis Pool Control device is basically a microcontroller or RPi type computer with an TCP/IP/HTTP stack already implemented. This would be just the right type of device to host it's own Node Server for the ISY once the 5.0.X branch is in production, eliminating the middle layer of Polyglot.

EDIT: I am not sure if the iAquaLink has a public API.

• 2 months later...

i have created a Polyglot v2 version of the Autelis (Jandy) nodeserver:

https://github.com/Goose66/autelis-jandy-polyglotv2

bgrubb1 and/or Toddimus, let me know if you are using the Pentair version and want to help upgrade it to Polyglot v2. No rush! :)

Thanks kingwr!

I haven’t hooked mine up yet but I probably will in the next couple of months. Still building the pool equipment room that it will live in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...

No, but I was thinking I may just go to a generic "degrees" unit-of-measure, and display the current setting of the Autelis device under the controller node and/or the temperature_control nodes. Let me look into it. What kind of Jandy Aqualink controller do you have?

1 minute ago, Goose66 said:

No, but I was thinking I may just go to a generic "degrees" unit-of-measure, and display the current setting of the Autelis device under the controller node and/or the temperature_control nodes. Let me look into it. What kind of Jandy Aqualink controller do you have?

JANDY AquaLinkRS

I've been working on a new version that would make the temperature controls for the Pool and Spa look like thermostats to Alexa and Google Home so you could say things like "Alexa, increase the spa temperature by 2 degrees" or "Alexa, what is the pool temperature." But this may have to wait on UDI to implement a change in the firmware, which could delay it for a while. Let me see how this issue unfolds over the next couple of weeks and I will roll out what I have with a Celcius solution as well.

• 2 weeks later...

@kar1024I haven't forgotten you. I am waiting on some changes in Polyglot 2.1.2 that will allow me to change the mode of the temp control nodes and the controller node from F to C and back to F based on the setting on your Autelis device. I am out all next week, however, so it may be another week or two.

• 3 weeks later...

I have updated the Polyglot v2 version of the Autelis (Jandy) nodeserver to 1.2.0. It is available for update in the Nodeserver Store. This version should be used with Polyglot 2.1.2 and the polyinterface 2.0.26

This version adds Celcius support. It will use whichever temperature units that your Aqualink RS is set to. If you have been using the nodeserver up to now with your Aqualink set to C, you may find the temperature values are a little wonky after you update. Just do a Query and/or give it a little time to settle in.

Let me know if you have any issues.

A screen print (notice the "Current Temperature" wonkyness - this is an issue with the Autelis device):

image.thumb.png.578eaf319b0003c49fc6f45e5bd0428e.png

• 3 weeks later...

I have created a Polyglot v2 version of the Autelis Pool Control nodeserver for Pentair controllers in github. See the first post in this topic for details. I don't think we will add it to the Polyglot Nodeserver Store if currently only one person is using it since it won't really get a good test until it has been installed in multiple environments.

If no one objects, I am going to remove the Polyglot v1 repositories for the Autelis Pool Control nodeservers from GitHub to avoid confusion. Let me know if anyone is still using these. 

• 9 months later...
On 4/9/2018 at 6:43 AM, Goose66 said:

I have created a Polyglot v2 version of the Autelis Pool Control nodeserver for Pentair controllers in github. See the first post in this topic for details. I don't think we will add it to the Polyglot Nodeserver Store if currently only one person is using it since it won't really get a good test until it has been installed in multiple environments.

If no one objects, I am going to remove the Polyglot v1 repositories for the Autelis Pool Control nodeservers from GitHub to avoid confusion. Let me know if anyone is still using these. 

@Goose66

Resurrecting this older thread...

I finally got around to installing (at least partially) my Pentair Intellitouch and Autelis controller.  It's not actually hooked up to any real pool equipment yet.  I want to get the bugs worked out before going live.

I have been trying to get it to work with the PolyglotV2 nodeserver you put on Github.  I did successfully get it installed on Polyglot but it seems there's an error when it's parsing the output from the Autelis.  I've attached the log file from a clean install of the nodeserver.  Seems like it's getting some of the information but not all of it.

If you have time, I'd be curious if you have any input on this.  THANKS!!!!!

Autelis_Polyglot_Pentair_Log.txt

EDIT:  FWIW, I installed this version of the firmware.  I think this is the right one:

http://www.autelis.com/downloads/pc100pi/FirmwareUpdater-PC100PI-TCPSerial-1.6.7.jar

2 hours ago, carealtor said:

I believe you will need this firmware to communicate with ISY:

http://www.autelis.com/downloads/pc100pi/FirmwareUpdater-PC100PI-ISY-1.6.7.jar

Thanks.  I hadn't loaded that one yet because it looked like it was the "manual" way of integrating between ISY <-> Autelis.  You need to add a bunch of variables and handle things through network resources.  I'll give it a try though.

EDIT:  Yeah, that one wasn't it.  I would need to create a bunch of variables to get it working.  I was thinking that the whole point of the nodeserver implementation was to avoid having to create the variables and use network resources.

11 hours ago, xKing said:

Did you look at this one?

Thanks, Yeah, I did.  I actually have a USB <-> RS-485 dongle that should be out for delivery just about now, which will let me try that one.  :)

I figured I'd try to use the Autelis box I bought a long time ago.  Seems like I have a lot of options actually.

8 hours ago, Jimbo said:

It looks like it's having issues parsing solar info, there is an option to ignore solar https://github.com/Goose66/autelis-jandy-polyglotv2

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

@Jimbo

Once again, you nailed it.  :)  I'm somewhat embarrassed that I didn't look further into the error.  Those traceback lines never really made sense to me.  Now, looking at the actual error, I see that the last line called out was really the one that caused the error.  The other lines above are higher level functions that also got errors due to the last one.  At least that's how I'm reading it now.  I always had thought that there were a bunch of things that had errors when there are a bunch listed in the traceback, when in fact, it is probably (usually) just one root cause.  Never really thought about what the term "traceback" meant either.  It's a bit more obvious now. ?‍♂️

In any event, I added the custom configuration parameter "ignoresolar" with a value of "True" and that didn't seem to fix it.  I then tried checking the box for "solar present" in the Pentair Screenlogic configuration interface to say that I do have solar (which I don't yet).  I left the "ignoresolar" config parameter in place but it still seems to report the status anyways.  The sensor is showing an error and reporting 255degF, but I can ignore that with my eyes on the status screens.  Now everything seems to work!  

Thanks Jimbo!!

Hello All. 

I need advice to know what exactly do I need to get to have the smartest system from Pentair working with ISY. 

Mom finishing the pool and I need to see options of pumps and all other parts of control - New to pool so:

if I use ISY, do I still need the Pentair controller or I’m saving on that ?

What exactly do I need to get ? ( regarding the smart part, the contrator knows the pressure - etc of the pumps I need. )

Just now, Adolfo said:

Hello All. 

I need advice to know what exactly do I need to get to have the smartest system from Pentair working with ISY. 

Mom finishing the pool and I need to see options of pumps and all other parts of control - New to pool so:

if I use ISY, do I still need the Pentair controller or I’m saving on that ?

What exactly do I need to get ? ( regarding the smart part, the contrator knows the pressure - etc of the pumps I need. )

Also , I’ll have a gas heater, pump, lights, and any other thing to clean, filter, etc. 

4 hours ago, Adolfo said:

Also , I’ll have a gas heater, pump, lights, and any other thing to clean, filter, etc. 

Adolfo,

I would still get the Pentair controller if you are going with Pentair stuff.  Which one you get depends upon your setup.  If you have a single body pool (i.e. no spa sharing the water), then you might be able to get away with one of their EasyTouch systems.  I ended up with an Intellitouch i7+3 system because my pool was plumbed with the provision for a separate spa with spillover... or at least there's a corner of the shallow end with spa jets but it's open to the rest of the pool.  Kinda weird setup which drove me to getting the higher end system.

I would suggest that you list out all of the items you plan to control with the system, then you will be able to correctly choose the right system.

Pump(s), valve(s), lights, heater, solar?, landscape lights, Saltwater chlorine generator (highly recommended by the way!!), etc...

If you can, I would run cat5e or similar hard-wired ethernet cable to the location where the pool controller/load center will be.  I provisioned for that with conduit but first tried the wireless bridge for the Screenlogic2 900MHz setup.  That didn't work well at all.  I ended up making a temporary setup using an old router in "media bridge" mode that provides network connection to the house.  Ultimately, I'll just run some ethernet cable to the controller.  I'm going to geek out with other landscape lighting, pool pH measurement, and other automation so I wanted to have full-on network connection at the pool mechanical room.

I also bought the Autelis Pentair bridge a long time ago, which I probably don't need, given the connectivity provided by the Pentair native Screenlogic2 and the node server that this thread discusses.

I have to go now, but I'll check back in after you provide the list of items.  I'll try to guide you to the best solution.  I have done a LOT of research on this subject so hopefully I can be of some help.

Archived