All Off How to?

Wildstar

Is there a way to turn off ALL insteon switches without putting them into a Scene?

I noticed if I go to "Network" in the ISY Admin Control Panel I can do this at the bottom. I also can do this from the MobiLinc App, but I have not found the command within the programming section of the ISY (I can only select devices or scenes).

I also remember a plug in insteon control device that had an 'all off' command.

Thanks for any help here if there is a simple answer...

Unless you have hundreds of insteon devices and big scenes already and are out of links, insteon scenes are designed for this purpose and are the best way to accomplish group activities. Other things to know:

• All On / Off is not limited to light switches. Io_lincs, for example, will trigger from an All On / Off

• Due to "false" triggering, Smartlabs has been removing the All On/Off features from newer switches in the past few years, so newer devices will not respond.

Paul

Wildstar, the All On/Off that you heard about is a command response, not a controller/trigger. Due to an unintended "All On" that sometimes occurred for no apparent reason, that response has been deleted from Insteon devices.

There has never been All On/Off command that didn't require that the device(s) be linked one-at-a-time. That's a safety precaution. I also now use programs for turning off large numbers of devices, the only reason being to reduce the number of links.

That can be wearisome if you wan to include all responders, for example, secondary buttons and paddles. I did that over time, a room-at-a-time with the furthest room turning off first and continuing sequentially toward the All Off location which adds a pleasing aesthetic.

I do the same as Stusviews. For my large scenes I avoid direct links and use programs instead. I create a scene and put everything in as a responder. I then write a program that activates the scene once the button is pressed. While there are downsides to doing it this way, the pros outweigh the cons.

I do the same as Stusviews. For my large scenes I avoid direct links and use programs instead. I create a scene and put everything in as a responder. I then write a program that activates the scene once the button is pressed. While there are downsides to doing it this way, the pros outweigh the cons.

Hmm, using a program to control scenes with everything in the scene as a responder, does not reduce the count of links being used by the ISY. That's because just creating a scene uses two links for each controller and one for each responder. In fact, each device, button, scene and/or folder uses a node (I'm nor really clear on the difference between a link and a node in this context other than a link involve devices themselves, but not scenes nor folders).

Using a program to control individual devices instead of scenes does reduce the link (nor node?) count. The ISY has a limit for the number of nodes (links?) that's apart from the limit for the number of programs.

I get what lilyoyo means. I have some large, similarly functioning device groupings. Rather than dupe Everything, I have a large core scene, and then a smaller "accessory" scene with the additional items. A program sends the core scene at some points, and at other points, both scenes back to back. Not really noticeable when thought through and cuts down on link count and often reduces update time.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, using a program to control scenes with everything in the scene as a responder, does not reduce the count of links being used by the ISY. That's because just creating a scene uses two links for each controller and one for each responder. In fact, each device, button, scene and/or folder uses a node (I'm nor really clear on the difference between a link and a node in this context other than a link involve devices themselves, but not scenes nor folders).

Using a program to control individual devices instead of scenes does reduce the link (nor node?) count. The ISY has a limit for the number of nodes (links?) that's apart from the limit for the number of programs.

I said all were responders and there are no controllers as part of large scenes. Only the ISY.

I may not have been clear. Each ISY scene controller accounts for two links, each scene responder as one. Reusing scenes as part of a program does not increase the number of links. But, controlling  a device (or button) via a program as opposed to a scene does not use a link for each device or button at all.

You were clear. However you have to take into consideration each link that is not made due to having no controllers as part of a scene. With a large number of devices (including keypads) that can add up quickly. A small install would not matter but as you approach high numbers, it can matter greatly

• 2 weeks later...

I have an "all off" program that I simply add any new devices or scenes to and then simply call this program whenever I need (currently using Alexa to do it, mostly at bedtime).

If specific lights have a scene (which many of mine do) I simply add the scene instead of the device, makes it easier that way and all my keypad buttons stay in sync that way too.

So "Alexa, turn on bedtime" turns off every light in the place and then turns on my bedroom dim and the master bath too (after all, we all go there right before bed right?)

Archived