Weatherproof enclosure for Insteon 2450 I/O Linc

maidez

I'd like to permanently install an I/O Linc on the exterior of my home for the purpose of controlling an Insteon water shutoff valve. There is no convenient outlet, but fortunately there is an outlet on the interior nearby, and it won't be too much trouble for me to add this new exterior outlet. However, I haven't been able to an in-use outlet cover that will accommodate the extra length of the I/O Linc. It's extends enough below a standard duplex outlet when plugged in, that I just don't think I'm going to find a simple outlet cover that will work.

Instead, I've started looking for a weatherproof enclosure that I can mount the outlet to, which will provide enough space for the I/O Linc. I've looked around a bit, and just haven't found a model that jumps out at me as meeting my criteria. I've also looked at the Orbit sprinkler controller housing (in fact I have one for my Rachio controller); while it does have a built-in outlet, it's much bigger than I need to house the I/O Linc. I'm hoping that someone else here has mounted an I/O Linc in an outdoor application and has found a box that works well for this.

My criteria

- NEMA 3/4 rated weatherproof

- Big enough to fit the 2450 I/O Linc, but not take up a ton of extra space (like the irrigation controller housing)

- Straightforward way to mount a duplex outlet in a code compliant manner

- For bonus points, an easy way to bring in the electricity (either NM cable from the rear, or conduit from below) without drilling my own holes in it.

All suggestions appreciated.

NEMA rated outdoor enclosures come in different sizes. You could mount an outlet inside of one and use an approved connector to bring your plug in to the enclosure.

You could also mount the I/O Linc inside and extend the wires to the location you need using an appropriate raceway.

I used a much larger version of this box to mount an external EZIO8SA and several outlets. This smaller version would work well by putting your 2450 on the end of an extension cord inside this box and then plug the extension cord into your GFI outlet. Then put this box where you want. It is inexpensive and has a foam seal around the lid and cord entry to keep out water. Being it is plastic, it doesn't interfere with RF signals. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009RX5H6S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I've been away, and had less time to post follow ups than I was hoping, but thanks to everyone that has provided suggestions

•  I originally thought about plugging in the I/O Linc indoors and running the low voltage cabling through the wall, but there isn't really a good spot inside where the I/O Linc wouldn't be in the way or obviously visible, so I prefer to mount it outdoors near the cutoff valve.
  • I've looked at a number of NEMA 3 &4 related enclosures, and they do certainly do come in a variety of sizes (not to mention materials). What I'm not seeing is one that seems designed to have a duplex receptacle mounted inside of it. I was hoping that something like that existed and others here that have used the I/O Linc in an outdoor application have found one that works well for this purpose. I suppose I could mount something like this inside of a larger enclosure, but I was hoping to find something that required a little less 'creativity' on my part for mounting the outlet. The only other items I had found are these, but they are both more expensive and larger than I was hoping for.
  • The Sockit box is an interesting idea, but I'd prefer to have a permanently wired solution rather than using an extension cord for a long term application like this.
  • Stu - I haven't found an in-use outlet cover that fits over the I/O Linc. I'm attaching pictures of two types I have on-hand that don't have clearance at the bottom to fit the I/O Linc, and I literally went through every outdoor outlet cover they had in stock at the local Home Depot, and none of them had clearance.

While researching this further, I did find a 'backyard outlet' made by GE that looks like it might work. It seems to have enough vertical clearance for the cover to close completely, even over the bottom of an I/O Linc. It also has knock outs for feeding power from the rear, and it comes with a weather resistant GFI outlet all for $31. The only thing that keeps this from being perfect is what looks like a largish opening intended for extension cord exit that might allow the interior to become a fairly damp environment for the I/O Linc during the rainy season. That said, if nobody has found a more weatherproof box that would also easily accommodate a GFI and I/O Linc, I might just go with this.

post-7867-0-04021700-1507690429_thumb.jpg

post-7867-0-60202300-1507690452_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Not that it matters much but I don't believe that your exterior box has to house a GFI.  Assuming that you would feed the exterior box from an interior outlet you could always install a GFI in the interior box and run the fault protected 120VAC wiring to the outside.  The downside is that, if something trips the GFI on the outside it would also disable the interior outlet as well.  I would prefer to have the exterior box house a GFI as well but it doesn't have to be a limiting factor if you found the exterior box without a GFI.

Archived