Scenes that share members/devices weirdness

johnjces

I am confused, which is not unusual. I have Googled and STFed and found some stuff on sceme member inclusion for scene calculaiton but I don't think that is what I need...

I just purchased Agave and it works well. However I have scenes that share devices and one is All Lights and the Other is All Outside Lights.

The scene 'All Outside Lights' has three Swithclincs for the outdoor porch lights. The scene 'All Lights' has multiple Switchlincs and a few plugin devices and of course includes the three porch light switchlincs.

When I use Agave to turn on the scene 'All Outside Lights', Agave shows it and the 'All Lights' scene as on. That really confused me as the first time I used it I was not at home and when both Agave indicators showed On, I was sort of worried the whole house was lit up. It was not and only the outdoor lights were on as they should be.

Also, if I switch on the 'All Lights' scene, the 'All Outside Lights' scene shows on in Agave. That 'sort of' makes some sense since the outdoor lights are on, but is still confusing.

What did I do wrong? How can this be corrected so that when in Agave when I switch on the 'All Outside Lights' scene, the 'All Lights' scene does not show as on, and vice versa? Or any scenes that share member devices.

Thanks!

John

I am confused, which is not unusual. I have Googled and STFed and found some stuff on sceme member inclusion for scene calculaiton but I don't think that is what I need...

I just purchased Agave and it works well. However I have scenes that share devices and one is All Lights and the Other is All Outside Lights.

The scene 'All Outside Lights' has three Swithclincs for the outdoor porch lights. The scene 'All Lights' has multiple Switchlincs and a few plugin devices and of course includes the three porch light switchlincs.

When I use Agave to turn on the scene 'All Outside Lights', Agave shows it and the 'All Lights' scene as on. That really confused me as the first time I used it I was not at home and when both Agave indicators showed On, I was sort of worried the whole house was lit up. It was not and only the outdoor lights were on as they should be.

Also, if I switch on the 'All Lights' scene, the 'All Outside Lights' scene shows on in Agave. That 'sort of' makes some sense since the outdoor lights are on, but is still confusing.

What did I do wrong? How can this be corrected so that when in Agave when I switch on the 'All Outside Lights' scene, the 'All Lights' scene does not show as on, and vice versa? Or any scenes that share member devices.

Thanks!

John

Interesting problem. If you view the scene in the details screen does it show "on" or does it show a percentage level? Can you send a screenshot?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thank-you James for the quick reply.

It shows as a percentage, 33%.

Some screen shots are attached...Hmmm... don't know how to attach files/images so here are links to each. So links are below... I will delete them after a period of time, FYI.

http://www.jcitssystems.com/Screenshot_1.png

http://www.jcitssystems.com/Screenshot_2.png

http://www.jcitssystems.com/Screenshot_3.png

John

It appears as if it's working correctly. The scene toggles only show on/off, since there is no way to show a percentage via a toggle switch. I guess I could put a percentage value on the favorite widget. Would that help?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thanks again James!

I have no idea if adding a percentage figure under favorites would help. It just seems that if one clicks a scene, in my example 'All Outdoor Lights' that that should be the only scene that shows the 'switch' "on". I guess I am misunderstanding the percentage number... does that mean that 33% of the members are on from another scene?

If it is working as it should, I guess I need to conform and look and see if a percentage is shown in another scene when it turns on and know that there are shared members.

John

Thank-you James for the quick reply.

It shows as a percentage, 33%.

Some screen shots are attached...Hmmm... don't know how to attach files/images so here are links to each. So links are below... I will delete them after a period of time, FYI.

http://www.jcitssystems.com/Screenshot_1.png

http://www.jcitssystems.com/Screenshot_2.png

http://www.jcitssystems.com/Screenshot_3.png

John

John,

In your second screenshot, you can see that some responder are on and some are off. Agave calculates the percentage based on that.

On that Scene do how do you determine if it is On or Off?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

On that Scene do how do you determine if it is On or Off?

Well, Agave shows a "switch" graphic that tells me a scene or even a device is on. All I would want to know is which scene I turned on, not what scenes have members that are turned on also. Those Agave switches show as 'On' until you go to the properties or details screen and will show you what percentage of members are on.

Just seems 'odd' to me but I understand it. I do agree and understand that individual items shown in Agave should show as On or Off. But still wrapping my head around multiple scenes showing as On when some members of that scene are turned on by another scene.

Might be a good setting to add to the Agave software... Show other scenes as off or a percentage of members on or similar.

Thanks guys!

John

Well, Agave shows a "switch" graphic that tells me a scene or even a device is on. All I would want to know is which scene I turned on, not what scenes have members that are turned on also. Those Agave switches show as 'On' until you go to the properties or details screen and will show you what percentage of members are on.

Just seems 'odd' to me but I understand it. I do agree and understand that individual items shown in Agave should show as On or Off. But still wrapping my head around multiple scenes showing as On when some members of that scene are turned on by another scene.

Might be a good setting to add to the Agave software... Show other scenes as off or a percentage of members on or similar.

Thanks guys!

John

the ISY does not have a method to determine if a Scene is On or Off.

In Agave you can select which devices you want to control the Scene On and Off property.

@Jimbo and Gary Funk

We were talking in this thread about the Android App called Agave. No where did I or James P mention the ISY..... just sayin'! I think that James is the Agave developer by the way.

Agave reads the data from the ISY does Agave only knows what the ISY tells it. It's all related.

Now, if you don't want my help and advise, just say so. I've been using Agave since the very first day and I've worked closely with James on its development.

Agave reads the data from the ISY does Agave only knows what the ISY tells it. It's all related.

Now, if you don't want my help and advise, just say so. I've been using Agave since the very first day and I've worked closely with James on its development.

Since Gary repeated me I'll repeat him

The ISY is the controller that Agave is managing, so it only knows what the ISY tells it. We have worked closely with James during the development of Agave so we are trying to help explain the issue.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Both Gary and Jim are correct.  Agave can only display what it knows about.  As for scenes, its not really given any information about them so I devised a way to determine what was happening.  I like to compare it to a keypadlinc button.  You can turn it on/off or press and hold to dim the device to a specific level.  But on the keypadlinc, it does not matter whether it is 10% or 100% the button is still lit as if it were on.  This is a notification that some part of or a percentage of the device is "on".  This is the same premise as the Scene "on" indicator for Agave.  If it is reading on, you know that one or more of the devices in the scene is registering as on.  The only way for you to know for sure what devices are on is to view the scene in detailed mode and inspect the devices.  

Now I have added the ability to exclude devices from this calculation in order to better allow the user to calculate or use the correct devices to determine the scene status.  If you have insite to a better way to accomplish this, I am always open to new ideas.  

Sorry guys! ISY just sort of came out of the blue and I realize, having been a SQL, C and Delphi programmer for many years, that a remote piece of software can only report or manipulate what data it receives. I have to assume that my experience is not known. And of course I am new to home automation and all this stuff. I also am on many boards and forums and I have a quirk when people just appear to skim a post and really don't read it, reply off the wall. What really worries me is that I am not clear in what I am requesting when I think I am. So.. I thought we were primarily talking about how Agave works and manipulates its data received. I am sorry. To sum up...

I was so confused when I first turned on an outdoor scene when other scenes showed On. I thought everything in my house was on!

It was/is my belief that Agave could/should be programmed to show any other partial scenes which show "on" and then a percentage to show as off. If one is curious about any other scene, they can just go into details and see a percentage of devices on.

BUT, I can easily live with now knowing how it works and after figuring and understanding more about Agave, (which works really well and I am glad I purchased it), showing a percentage instead of "ON" would be beneficial.

So.. please accept my apologies if I offended anyone as I do like the help! And I am a pretty nice guy in real life.

John

I fully understand what you wrote and what you want. I also fully understand the ISY and Agave.

I can also take the next 5000 words to expand on my credentials, from the IBM 360 and Super Cray to the IBM Power 7.  From Fortran to C, from SQL to DB2, but that would just waste time. 

Please explain what unique device you want to use to show each scene is on and I'll help you have Agave act as you wish.

I understand you have three Scenes and you can use each Scene to turn on and off a group of devices. 

Gary

While you're thinking about this, I'd like to have Global variables for "Exclude Redponders" and "Require All On" with the ability to override the Global in the Local settings.

I know that's more work but it gives the greatest flexibility.

I want the Global "Exclude Responders" because I to go into every Fan Scene when I reset and reload everything. It's a pain to do this on four phones and 12 tablets.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Archived