I/O Module and GTO 2000xl

shergenr

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on connecting my GTO 2000xl gate opener to the  i/o module.  My goal is when the gate is opened or closed after dusk/before sunrise, to turn on my carport and driveway lights that are controlled by micro on/off switches.  I really don't want to use a contact sensor as it is exposed to the elements and having read not such great things about motion sensors didn't want to use those either.  Again, the goal is to turn on the lights when the gate cycles.

I was mucking around my GTO control board and found the DC terminals to the opener motor.  The terminals puts out between 13.5 and 11 volts DC when activated.  The board also has output relays (n/o and n/c).  As you can tell, I'm not sure how the IO module knows when a condition should trigger an insteon event.  How to trip its "sense".  The other terminals put out between 3-6v dc, but the state doesn't seem to change when I cycle the opener.  

I was wondering if it is as simple as running low voltage cable from the logic board motor output (12v)  to the io module and hooking them to the common and n/o or n/c terminal?  Or would I use one/a pair of the output relays?

Thanks for your help.  

Do you know if the NO/NC/Common relay contacts can be used to trigger something and not have a voltage on them?

A auxiliary dry contact relay output. NO and its Common could be used to trigger the I/O Modules Sensor Input. Then the Sensor going On could be used by the ISY994i.

I suggest getting something like this:

Honeywell 5816OD Outdoor Wireless Magnetic Contact https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00683AMTW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jFD6zbHMFYG18

Further, connect the relay out of the I/O Linc to the gate control and set it up according to garage door opener settings to give your ISY full control. You can write programs on the ISY to control the lights based on gate status and another to close the gate at night if it gets left open. This allows you to consolidate your automation on one controller (one of my HA first principles)

There's a secondary set of control inputs on the controller and auxiliary outputs. Look at page 13, 15 and especially 20,21

21 shows auxiliary outputs that would connect to the iolincs inputs, that will tell you if its in motion... the iolinc could control a scene or program so you know if the gate has been activated... turn on floodlights, garage lights, etc. It looks like COM and Cycle (terminals 1 and 2) would activate the gate when the io linc outputs "click" across them temporarily ... its described on 20. It looks like the secondary operator contacts follow the primary contacts and is a second place where you could hook up the iolinc to terminals 1 and 2 to activate the gates

You'll have to experiment a little, but an iolinc should be able to trigger and sense this device. 

Paul

Connect the relay NO and common on the GTO board relay to an I/O Linc sense. The I/O Linc can then control any Insteon device. I use a Buzzlinc. Because the buzzer sounds and a notification is sent on both opening and closing (30 second interval), I disable the program for a short time after opening so I get only one notification.

GG0 Gate 1
If
        Control 'GG / Devices / GG Drive Gate-Sensor' is switched On <---this is the I/O Linc

Then
        Send Notification to 'automate'
        Run Program 'GG0 Gate 2' (Then Path)

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

GG0 Gate 2
If
   - No Conditions - (To add one, press 'Schedule' or 'Condition')

Then
        Disable Program 'GG0 Gate 1'
        Wait  1 minute
        Enable Program 'GG0 Gate 1'

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Connect the relay NO and common on the GTO board relay to an I/O Linc sense. The I/O Linc can then control any Insteon device. I use a Buzzlinc. Because the buzzer sounds and a notification is sent on both opening and closing (30 second interval), I disable the program for a short time after opening so I get only one notification.

So if I understand you correctly, I should connect with a wire:

ioLink N/O terminal to GTO Output Relay N/O

ioLink Com terminal to GTO Com

Then add the buzzlink by 

Jumping ioLink Ground to ioLink N/O

Piezzo to ioLink via 5v Term and Com terminal....

Nothing gets wired into the ioLink Sense terminal?

Again thanks for your help!  

Reread post #5. Connect the relay on the GTO control board to sense on the I/O Linc.

You can connect the relay NO and Com from the I/O Linc to the GTO board if you also want to control opening and closing the gate remotely. The are separate terminals on the GTO board for that.

• 4 weeks later...

Stu,

Again thanks for your help.  I finally got around to completing the installation of the "buzz" link. The sensor is sensing when the gate is being opened which is exactly what I wanted.  However, I'm a little perplexed:  my piezo isn't buzzing.  I interpreted post 5 as the following:

GTO N/O Relay post 1 to IO/Link Sense

GTO N/O Relay post 2 to IO/Link Ground

Jumpered IO/Link Ground to IO/Link N/O

Positive Piezo to 5v IO/Link

Neutral Piezo to Com IO/Link.

Every time the gate is opening or closing, the IO Link Sensor comes on, but no buzzing.  This is fine since I want to use the event to turn on some lights for a few minutes.   This is more a matter of curiosity than anything else:

1)  The GTO Open Relay -is a two post relay, when closed is it providing a "common" connection?

2)  Is the piezo buzzer integral to the sensor being able to "sense" ?  If it is why does it seem to work yet I get no noise?  

I would have tried different things with the wiring to test my assumptions, but those damn terminals are so small I don't want to move the wires around until I get some better pigtails made.    

1. Correct. The GTO relay is a dry contact switch that connects to the sense terminals of an I/O Linc. Each time the gate opens (or closes), the I/O Linc sends an On signal to any Insteon device linked as a responder.

2. The Buzzlinc is an entirely separate device. It can be used in any application where you'd like a sound when an Insteon device sends an On signal. Create a scene where the I/O Linc wired to the GTO board is a controller and one or more Buzzlincs are responders.

Archived