Amazon Key will let you grant delivery people access to your home from afar

G W

We have all heard about a delivered package getting stolen while sitting in front of a door, and Amazonwants to make that a thing of the past.

Announced today, Amazon Key is a new service that will allow delivery drivers to actually enter a recipient’s home and drop off a package on the other side of the door. The service is part of an in-home delivery option for Amazon Prime customers that also have Amazon Key.

To make it work, a lot of things have to come together. Amazon is including an Amazon Cloud Cam which will let owners quickly see who is delivering a package at their front door. The delivery driver will have to confirm their location as they request access to a home, and then Amazon will use an encrypted authentication process to make sure the driver is at the right location. Once that’s done, the Amazon Cloud Cam will begin recording once the door is unlocked, letting owners watch live as the driver drops off the package or watch a recording of the action at a later date.

Complete Article

https://androidandme.com/2017/10/news/amazon-key-grant-delivery-people-access-to-your-home-from-afar/

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If we lived in a different world where people ‘trusted’ each other a bit more, this might actually be something people would be interested in.

I order quite a bit from Amazon, and MOST of the items are delivered via USPS, not a dedicated Amazon driver. Not sure who will own liability... perhaps they have that sorted out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my case, small to medium packages are equally delivered by the USPO or an Amazon driver. Larger packages are handled by FedEx or UPS. More than 200 orders so far this year, most with multiple items B)

Nice idea!

Next thing we will be hearing is about amazon spying on us with their webcams. :)

All of my amazon orders have been shipped by Postal and Postal  will not deliver a package to my door, only a notification card for which I then have to drive into town to pick-up the package myself.

We tried a Prime mebership and ordered a few things, but it was the same con game with delivery  times here. Cancelled that one again.

Amazon Key? Never at my home. That means I would have to disarm the alarm to allow them to enter. Just wait for the first delivery person to get shot by a startled homeowner. What a galactically stupid idea.

I put a deck box on my porch and a label on the doorbell to place packages in the deck box. I have most of the delivery service personnel trained to place packages in the box. Out of sight, out of mind, and out of the elements. I order stuff all the time and never lost a package. I’ve had packages incorrectly delivered to my neighbors house, usually during a torrential rain storm when the drivers rush to stay dry. 24/7 surveillance with motion detection, motion sensor in the deck box, and an Elk-930 doorbell detector guarantees I will get a delivery notification and video evidence if I ever have a package stolen off my porch.

614b69178df0afaa2b55d567a4804acf.jpg

Exactly why I don't have an electronic lock on an exterior door, only non-electronic ANSI/BHMA Grade 1 locks.  Most consumer electronic locks are Grade 2 at best

As Teken would say, "The 4 D's."  

Deter - Lighting, signage, landscaping, etc.

Detect - Cameras, alarm, motion and glass break sensors, etc.

Delay - Higher grade locks, re-inforced jams, window security film, etc.

Defend - What ever "tools" you choose to have at your disposal. 

Or is it 5 D's?

Amazon Key? Never at my home. That means I would have to disarm the alarm to allow them to enter. Just wait for the first delivery person to get shot by a startled homeowner. What a galactically stupid idea.

I put a deck box on my porch and a label on the doorbell to place packages in the deck box. I have most of the delivery service personnel trained to place packages in the box. Out of sight, out of mind, and out of the elements. I order stuff all the time and never lost a package. I’ve had packages incorrectly delivered to my neighbors house, usually during a torrential rain storm when the drivers rush to stay dry. 24/7 surveillance with motion detection, motion sensor in the deck box, and an Elk-930 doorbell detector guarantees I will get a delivery notification and video evidence if I ever have a package stolen off my porch.

614b69178df0afaa2b55d567a4804acf.jpg

As Teken would say, "The 4 D's."  

Deter - Lighting, signage, landscaping, etc.

Detect - Cameras, alarm, motion and glass break sensors, etc.

Delay - Higher grade locks, re-inforced jams, window security film, etc.

Defend - What ever "tools" you choose to have at your disposal. 

Or is it 5 D's?

^ Give this man the common sense award of the year . . .

At a high level I can appreciate the novelty of getting your packages all tucked away safely in your home. But this whole love affair America has with being lazy is truly astounding to me. America has never been in record history so over weight, obese, and illiterate. People are willing to spend more money on a smart lock then on real physical security.

Besides awareness, running stealth, real force protection, time is the key component in a security breach.

People spend way too much money on the bells & whistles for electronic security measures yet spend either nothing or less than 5% on physical force protection. It really makes no sense to me and those of us in the security industry. To think people actually go out of their way to have fail over on communications, power, electronic security, blah, blah . . .

Yet, they will self monitor, let some random stranger who I guarantee you isn't fully vetted, bonded, screened, etc. literally come into their homes *Invited*

My stomach hurts just laughing out loud how incredibly foolish this is . . .

In one of the security forums I follow there was a super long aszz thread of some random guy who touted how he did all of these things to ensure his home was a fortress. Had all of these super expensive systems that I and many of us have used, installed, and endorsed. Having spent what could easily be tens of thousands of dollars for so called home security.

Guess what happen to this guy with all his weapons, fancy alarm system, remote controlled GDO & Door locks via Amazon Echo?? In no specific order of importance or relevance over the span of 18 months.

- Home broken into with no signs of forced entry.

- Home vandalized on the outside with spray paint and fence run over

- Home burned down to the ground due to a heat tape turned on during the summer!

Why??

- Too stupid to fight the urge to integrate his smart locks & GDO with voice control.

- Too stupid & cheap to have a CS to monitor his security alarm system.

- Too stupid to believe someone on the so called automated call list would pick up the phone in time to call 911.

- Too stupid to secure all his weapons and now its on the streets with criminals armed to the teeth.   

- Too stupid to realize he won't get any home owners insurance because his automated setup regarding the heat tape was self inflicted and never tested, validated, and checked for fail over. 

I guess this guys super smart phone didn't give him the message his home was burning down to the ground? Guess being 999999999999 miles away and not in cellular range could be an issue when his home was being broken into? Maybe he was asleep like 99.9% of the human beings on this planet do ~ Because humans need to sleep!

Yet self monitoring could be done better, cheaper, more reliable than any certified 5 star CS?!?!?

It's safe to say with a high level of confidence all of this could have been avoided if common sense was used.   

=======================================================

=======================================================

At what point will humans stop the insanity of lazy and pull up their socks, put one leg in their pants at a time, and use common sense?? Security at the highest level is a lifestyle which encompasses many facets and disciplines. Its about having proactive, reactive, elements that compliment one another and offers a measure of fail over and over lap.

Its identifying your real world threats, risks, and being aware of your surroundings at all times. Situational awareness starts with a persons noggin. Followed with identifying daily patterns that increase your risks and documenting them. Then, followed with a action plan that reflects the security audit for your home, family, lifestyle, ecosystem, etc.

Ultimately people are losing sight of the basic fundamentals ~ Don't talk to strangers. Which directly translates to why on Gods green Earth would you open your door willingly to a perfect stranger??? My daughter when she was 4 knew these two basic principles besides don't walk on the river during winter, and don't lick a metal pole either!!

4 years old, and she knew these basic fundamentals yet adults are ignoring these  . . .

Wow . . . 

This whole thing is right up there with automated vehicles. I'll give the first person $500.00 if and when they place their infant child in a fully automated plane, vehicle. That travels at least 1000 miles from start to finish unattended ~ because its so safe, right!! 

• 5 weeks later...

They had on the news last night that the AMAZON KEY was hacked already. Amazon is working on the fix. It showed how they accessed the camera, and put it in still frame mode, they then opened the door and closed it but the camera did not display the access as it was in still frame mode sitting idle, they also hacked the front door lock. If you have an alarm it turned that off also. They then reactivated the system after they closed the door.

Don

Archived