Yale ~ Purchases August Smart Lock

Teken

I intended to post about this when the news came out last week but late than never: https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/19/august-home-yale-acquisition/ 

Part of me is a little surprised while the other half of me isn't.

It makes me wounder what value, IP, or features the August brand offers the Yale company. Given they are a old school multi billion dollar corporation the new blood will do them some good! I expect to see a few more smaller companies get gobbled up in 2018 as this seems to be the trend as it has been in the past.

- Can't compete buy them out

- Have no talent in house ~ Go buy it

- Want to add more value to the stack holders ~ Hostile takeover 

Lets see if the Yale company will really try to integrate some 2018 features, style, and integration. 

Personally I love the design and function of my Yale Real Living touchscreen locks, but I agree that consolidation makes sense here. August has some young buzz and probably better integration chops.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I currently use the Yale touchscreen locks (until kwikset releases the obsidian zwave version) and I like how it looks. With that said, the design is getting a little long in the tooth. I think (or should I say hope) that Yale uses its financial backing and August designers to push the envelope for design and integration. 

While I am not a fan of August locks, I do think they have some serious talent there in the design and integration space. With more money, hopefully they can have a product that pushes the look and capabilities for both companies.

I currently use the Yale touchscreen locks (until kwikset releases the obsidian zwave version) and I like how it looks. With that said, the design is getting a little long in the tooth. I think (or should I say hope) that Yale uses its financial backing and August designers to push the envelope for design and integration. 

While I am not a fan of August locks, I do think they have some serious talent there in the design and integration space. With more money, hopefully they can have a product that pushes the look and capabilities for both companies.

Agreed ~ What I'm interested in seeing is a down sizing / stream lining of the major assemblies. If anyone has ever seen first hand how huge the August dial is you can understand.

It looks to be a giant hockey puck strapped to the door . . .

Everyone knows I am not a fan of these so called smart locks on the exterior doors for many security reasons. But I still like to see the technology advance and perhaps one day its something I could revisit.

Not . . .  :mrgreen:  

Agreed ~ What I'm interested in seeing is a down sizing / stream lining of the major assemblies. If anyone has ever seen first hand how huge the August dial is you can understand.

It looks to be a giant hockey puck strapped to the door . . .

Everyone knows I am not a fan of these so called smart locks on the exterior doors for many security reasons. But I still like to see the technology advance and perhaps one day its something I could revisit.

Not . . . :mrgreen:

The size is exactly why I don't like August locks. I wish it were much smaller.

I agree with you about electronic locks on doors but for me its the convenience and capabilities that I like. While break-ins can happen anywhere, I'm in one of the safest areas of my city. That, the types of doors I have, and the amount of windows means that there are much easier ways to break in than through my doors.

I think everyone should look at the risk vs. reward. For me and my situation; the reward far outweighs the risks.

I like the Schlage with Touchpad.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Same. 5 years, no issues and only changed the batteries twice.

Changeable tummblers to use a single key is great too.

I believe they're still the only ANSI Grade 1 rated smart deadbolt.

• 1 month later...

Maybe Yale will follow August and make their BT lock actually convent to use but actually work(Ironically now that I'm currently shopping for a new lock my August has actually been working well).

I was thinking about get the Yale keyless BT with z wave(until read about how it works, the Kwikset Kevo operation is nice but I also want z wave ,keypad and leaning heavily toward keyless) , I think I'll just get the Keyless z wave one and do geofencing with ISY.

Archived