Science ~ Saves Boy Who Needs Entire Body of Skin

Teken

That is pretty neat.

But the title of the article is missleading, the boy didn't get his skin replaced, he got just the outer layer of skin replaced, the epidermis.  So this treatment would be limited to diseases of the epidermis and would not apply to scars, burns, or similar conditions where destruction of the dermis is the problem.  But still cool.  Changed that poor boy's life.

That is pretty neat.

But the title of the article is missleading, the boy didn't get his skin replaced, he got just the outer layer of skin replaced, the epidermis.  So this treatment would be limited to diseases of the epidermis and would not apply to scars, burns, or similar conditions where destruction of the dermis is the problem.  But still cool.  Changed that poor boy's life.

So derm picky! :)

That is pretty neat.

You don't think this technology could help those who experienced light burns? I would agree if it was deeper into the different layers of the skin this would not help in that aspect.

Now, if they could only solve snoring & drooling . . . 

So derm picky! :)

Well, played . . .

You don't think this technology could help those who experienced light burns? I would agree if it was deeper into the different layers of the skin this would not help in that aspect.

Well, played . . .

Drooling? Didn't your mother ever tell you to keep your chin up? :)

Drooling? Didn't your mother ever tell you to keep your chin up? :)

I dated a girl way back in the day who was the embodiment of super hot in every way you could imagine. First time she slept over and blasted me out of my bed due to the insane snoring and only to find out the next day my pillow had what seemed to be 20 oz of drool in it.  :cry:

I sadly couldn't take that ~ Next!  :mrgreen:

I dated a girl way back in the day who was the embodiment of super hot in every way you could imagine. First time she slept over and blasted me out of my bed due to the insane snoring and only to find out the next day my pillow had what seemed to be 20 oz of drool in it.  :cry:

I sadly couldn't take that ~ Next!  :mrgreen:

Surgical masks are for that, not the other thing.... :oops:

In the 80's most folks just pushed their partners to the side in hopes of stopping or eliminating the snoring. For what ever reason she only eased up on the stuttering snoring. It was the freaking whistling sound that just drove me insane to be honest. Probably got four hours of sleep during that weekend and felt terrible. I know they have those chin strap things but don't think that would have helped because she had some kind of nasal issue.

Using those jaw / chin rigs probably would have made her suffocate . . .   

Well, played . . .

Well, maybe, but you would probably have already substantially healed from a 2nd degree burn prior to this lab grown epidermis being ready to go.  I am also not sure if the result would be any better than regular methods and the cost would certainly be waaaay higher.

They do have something similar for those sorts of burns that is derived from other sources and ready to use off the shelf.  But it is not a graft, it is what is called a "biological dressing".  Meaning it sloughs as your body heals under it.

And . . .how in the world did this devolve into drooling one night stands?

Well, maybe, but you would probably have already substantially healed from a 2nd degree burn prior to this lab grown epidermis being ready to go.  I am also not sure if the result would be any better than regular methods and the cost would certainly be waaaay higher.

They do have something similar for those sorts of burns that is derived from other sources and ready to use off the shelf.  But it is not a graft, it is what is called a "biological dressing".  Meaning it sloughs as your body heals under it.

And . . .how in the world did this devolve into drooling one night stands?

I dunno just popped into my head ~ such a pervert! 

This is the perfect example of how science & technology should be harnessed in mans pursuit to make the world better for all: https://www.wired.com/story/scientists-save-a-kid-by-growing-a-whole-new-skin-for-him/

Darkman would've benefited. But then he wouldn't be Darkman B)

Archived