Finding under slab piping leaks, continued

LFMc

You can have all that. There is no way I would live there

Yeah if living in a more temperate environment is something you know. Coming to different parts of Canada can be a real eye opener to many during the winter months. A very long time ago I was part of a North Pole support team that was helping deploy their network and communication array. There was about 55 of us from different parts of North America.

The bulk were from Canada, USA, and Mexico.

Our team lead at the time had us going threw Arctic survival training and what to do etc. I was the only guy sitting in the room drinking a Slurpee like beverage while the movie was playing. After the movie he turns on the lights and says *You know that guy with the bad hair cut and drinking that Slurpee*. That guy is your new Arctic lead for what to do and not to do.  :mrgreen:

I burst out laughing because what he was trying to say to the other guys who came from warmer climates is where I came from being prepared and safe in extreme weather is just a way of life. Well, besides we're a little crazy and cold doesn't bother us when the mercury dips into -55'C and working in the dark is just second nature.

I think my sweater with the patch is still in the closet maybe should snap a photo!

Teken,

You think that is bad? My wife goes shopping at Wholefoods a while back. She comes home and tells me that they sell so much Extra Virgin Olive Oil there they have two drive up pumps you can pull up to in the parking lot and fill up your olive oil jug. 

I asked her, how do you know this?

She said there were two signs with a hose hanging on each one in the parking lot. The sign said "EVO" on it. 

She was a bit miffed when I asked her if it if it might stand for "Electric Vehicle Outlet". 

LMAO. We still laugh about that one. She's a good sport. 

LMAO ~ Leon you truly rock!

This patch was from the first arctic deployment.

b43f5d5d9cee9c18d9bc4e396da6f804.jpg

This was from my second deployment which lasted 32 months. It is was one of the toughest jobs I've ever done but most rewarding at the same time. The northern lights are simply awe inspiring and humbles you.

58c16fc3165fd7164e5994c5b2d2101e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To answer your question, no, there was no obvious water pressure drop as it literally was a tiny pin hole.

There are services which will clean the inside of underslab coppy then apply an epoxy lining, sealing existing pinholes and preventing new ones.   You do need to choose an experienced installer and find out what resin they use -- some epoxies are safer than others.

I had a 30' stretch of copper pipe in an enclosed space (not cast in place inside a slab, but inaccessible behind structure), when it started developing pinholes, we used an expansion plug to secure a rope to one end, and pulled a new piece of PEX through the enclosed space by using the old copper as a pull line.   Problem solved.

This patch was from the first arctic deployment.

b43f5d5d9cee9c18d9bc4e396da6f804.jpg

This was from my second deployment which lasted 32 months. It is was one of the toughest jobs I've ever done but most rewarding at the same time. The northern lights are simply awe inspiring and humbles you.

58c16fc3165fd7164e5994c5b2d2101e.jpg

Thanks for showing. It would be an honor to get those patches but one I would gladly say I dont own. lol. I will keep my mild winters. 

The sad part is, when I moved back here from Cali I cried the first winter.  :lol:  :lol:

Thanks for showing. It would be an honor to get those patches but one I would gladly say I dont own. lol. I will keep my mild winters.

The sad part is, when I moved back here from Cali I cried the first winter. :lol::lol:

I can relate having been in many of the warmer southern states and in the Bible Belt way back in the day. Going to a sub zero environment and what many call the dark days it's hard at times.

I don't recall what that condition is where a person doesn't get enough sun light is. But you find out pretty quickly who has that issue because there's a few crazies running around like the walking dead.

I spent a little more than a year in Sweden, the land of the midnight sun (and afternoon darkness), one-third in the arctic circle. I loved it, I loved the weather. I love returning to somewhere less cold, considerably less cold B)

I can relate having been in many of the warmer southern states and in the Bible Belt way back in the day. Going to a sub zero environment and what many call the dark days it's hard at times.

I don't recall what that condition is where a person doesn't get enough sun light is. But you find out pretty quickly who has that issue because there's a few crazies running around like the walking dead.

SADS,

Seasonal Affective Disorder Syndrome.

SADS,

Seasonal Affective Disorder Syndrome.

Larry's, got it but one has to do with not enough UV vs the other has to do with it just being gloomy. I have a girl friend that has to use one of those white light things. Looks just like a mini T12 tube light but much smaller where she has to sit around it for XX minutes a day. I'm not sure what people do with the gloomy thing besides what drugs?

Rickets, not be confused with crickets. Crickets require warmer weather, which is why crickets don't get rickets B)

LOL . . . Isn't that from not eating or ingesting enough food with the proper amount of vitamins? 

I spent a little more than a year in Sweden, the land of the midnight sun (and afternoon darkness), one-third in the arctic circle. I loved it, I loved the weather. I love returning to somewhere less cold, considerably less cold B)

Never been to Sweden but would love to for sure. I was in Tanana Alaska for a short stink helping a company finalize some geo stuff. The winter I was there it was -62'C before the windchill.

We had to stay there for an extra week because the jumbo ice on the river was too dangerous to land on and nothing would start to allow the villagers to plow a landing strip. This is where I had my first taste of seal which I didn't really care for but we needed the fat to stay warm. The people there offered the best hospitality I've ever experienced for sure.

All I can say is using the out house when its -62'C is something you learn to do might quick!  :mrgreen:

Larry's, got it but one has to do with not enough UV vs the other has to do with it just being gloomy. I have a girl friend that has to use one of those white light things. Looks just like a mini T12 tube light but much smaller where she has to sit around it for XX minutes a day. I'm not sure what people do with the gloomy thing besides what drugs?

LOL . . . Isn't that from not eating or ingesting enough food with the proper amount of vitamins? 

Not sure how much proven factual data is behind this but it is the content of blue spectrum light on the retina in the early mornings that is stated to be the cure. This  forces our circadian rhythms by telling our brains it is daytime and causing our brains to stop production of  a hormone called melatonin.  In response to this, our brains rebound with more production of melatonin later in the day, when our retinas detect orange and red spectrum light (sunset colours).  

If you want an example, go buy some sublingual melatonin and dissolve one under your  tongue at bedtime or watch a white LED tablet or TV backlight just before bedtime. The blue LED is too intense with it's narrow spectrum and can cause the opposite effect. When some first take melatonin, many people never experience  the tablet to completely dissolve.

Some people living in extremely sunny climates are reported to complain about  reverse SADs.

As long as it's the dry heat! You don't know what hot is until you've been to Mississippi, Alabama, and Texas!! Worst summers I ever had to endure besides Florida.

Try, no don't try NYC in August. I loved it there, too. But, I'm happiest where we mostly don't have weather.

Rickets, not be confused with crickets. Crickets require warmer weather, which is why crickets don't get rickets B)

Actually it's caused by lack of Vitamin D which is produced naturally in the body by even a small amount of daily sunlight, but some foods (e.g., limes) contain a high amount of the vitamin, and well, you know the rest of the story B)

The older I get the less tolerance I have for the cold. If Cali wasn't so damn expensive, I would've happily stayed there.

Luckily I can go back whenever I want. No place else here beats their weather

You like Columbia? It's so nasty humid.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Try, no don't try NYC in August. I loved it there, too. But, I'm happiest where we mostly don't have weather.

Actually it's caused by lack of Vitamin D which is produced naturally in the body by even a small amount of daily sunlight, but some foods (e.g., limes) contain a high amount of the vitamin, and well, you know the rest of the story B)

Agreed, spent almost five plus years in NYC. The bulk of family lived in Queens. Lots lived in Brookland / Bronx.

A few crazies lived in Washington Heights.

Oh. You're aware Cali is a city in Columbia made famous for the Cristo Rey.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I'm aware. Growing up on the East coast many people would say Cali for short. Just like saying USC in S. Carolina will have someone think of University of South Carolina. Words and names are based off where you live and those you surround yourself with.

Archived