How do I know if a PLM is good?

Guest Dr. Emilio Lizardo

Guest Dr. Emilio Lizardo

USA

22 Posts

icon_posticon.gifPosted - 11/14/2017 :  11:46:38 AM  icon_profile.gif  icon_email.gif  icon_edit_topic.gif  icon_reply_topic.gif  icon_delete_reply.gif

I have been bit by the 2413s PLM deficiency for several years now. I bought a brand new 2413s PLM within the last several weeks. It is version 2.4 which, as I understand, it has been fixed from the known bug. I replaced the 2413 by:

1. Unplug ISY

2. Unplug the old PLM

3. Unplug the cable from the old PLM

4. Plug the cable into the new PLM

5. Plug in the new PLM

6. Plug in ISY

7. Login to the ISY and do a "Restore Modem (PLM)"

Most of my programs still don't run. I can't add a device and then add it to a scene and have the device work properly (mini remote control 2342).

I sure miss my working system and would love to get it up and running. Suggestions, comments, snide remarks?

I know this is more of an Insteon problem and I have posted this on the Smarthome Forum, but I am so disheartened by the PLM problem that I am toying with the idea of dumping my ISY and replacing it with an INSTEON Hub. Comments or suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks,

Art Lazarow

How did the restore modem go, what kind of messages.

Sometimes the ISY "learns" the corrupted information from the PLM and means you could be putting back the bad info from the old PM into the new one.

Do you have a backup from before the latest PLM failure? 

• Restore an ISY backup from before the PLM failure
  • Then restore the ISY again
  • Remember wireless devices must be put manually in linking mode and restored one at at time

Do you have a backup from before the latest PLM failure? 

Guest Dr. Emilio Lizardo

Paul, thanks for the reply.  Any fan of Foghorn Leghorn is all right in my book.  I don't have a good back-up for the system because, I swear my PLM's have been bad out of the box.  I am currently rerunning the restore PLM IAW https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/420-how-to-replacerestoreremove-plm/.  I got no error messages or problems that I did not know about.  I could add the mini remote to the system and to the scene but it would not control the scene.  All my bathroom exhaust fans are controlled by a 30 minute turn off program.  None of these worked.  We'll see what happens after rerunning the Restore PLM.

Guest Dr. Emilio Lizardo

I've followed the procedure repeatedly with no success. After the procedure has run, there are devices that still need to be written to. When I write to these devices (D2472 lamplinc's) they are in incorrect states (ISY shows on when they are actually off).When I write to the devices nothing changes. They remain in their current state. Again, I ask how do I know the PLM is working out of the box?

I've followed the procedure repeatedly with no success. After the procedure has run, there are devices that still need to be written to. When I write to these devices (D2472 lamplinc's) they are in incorrect states (ISY shows on when they are actually off).When I write to the devices nothing changes. They remain in their current state. Again, I ask how do I know the PLM is working out of the box?

Did you get this resolved? If not, submit a ticket to UDI. They will call and help you resolve.

Provide a link back to this thread inj the ticket so you don't have to type it all in again :D

Paul

Doesn't have to be a major appliance -- even something as small as one of those cheap knock-off Chinese phone chargers is enough to wack out the Insteon power-line comms.  And since the Insteon RF can be adversely impacted by the power-line noise (odd, but true), that's enough to cause all sorts of problems for your devices.

Archived