HELP - COMMUNICATION LOST TO EVERYTHING

38th week of 2014 

Since I think we're in the 46th week of 2017... > 3 years.   Congratulations... you win! :D

I don't have explicit proof, but signs point to a dying PLM

Paul

Negative, Ghostrider... I win!!!

post-5496-0-79988300-1510880335_thumb.jpg

2 years is un-officially thrown out as the operational life of these things. 

Its a vexing manufacturing problem, that some speculate as "built in obsolescence", making a valid point.

50 cents more on capacitors would make them last.. there is a horribly long thread around here about how to fix them if you are handy with electronics

Paul

LOL....so i take it these things dont often live past two years?

Paul

Actually just did my link count 5 times and now getting a consistent 32 or 32, think shes on the mend boys.....good for another few years yet....lol.

Seriously no, its about to go. FWIW. I waited and bought a second one a few years back when amazon had them for I think $28. I'm guessing mine is imminent, I have the replacement sitting right next to the ISY

Paul

Seriously no, its about to go. FWIW. I waited and bought a second one a few years back when amazon had them for I think $28. I'm guessing mine is imminent, I have the replacement sitting right next to the ISY

Paul

Ok....ill order one just to be safe. Damn, just looked at my 2014 invoice from aartech.ca, paid $79 back then, they are now $99.....these things sure took a jump.

Ok....ill order one just to be safe. Damn, just looked at my 2014 invoice from aartech.ca, paid $79 back then, they are now $99.....these things sure took a jump.

Where are you looking? SH has a $79.99 price, same as it's been for years. Oh, wait. That's not to Canada.

Edit: 80 USD = 102 Canadian, so the price is not out of line.

So before I end this thread, whats required to replacing the PLM, just swap it out and thats it or is there some setup required in the console.

The instructions Paul linked to is critical. There is no shortcut. Read, re-read and read again. It really matters.

The instructions Paul linked to is critical. There is no shortcut. Read, re-read and read again. It really matters.

Will do.....seems straight forward enough but im sure it has the potential to go south. So should I do a backup before proceeding with this. I actually havent done a backup in some time and likely I've added programs and devices since my last backup.

Will do.....seems straight forward enough but im sure it has the potential to go south. So should I do a backup before proceeding with this. I actually havent done a backup in some time and likely I've added programs and devices since my last backup.

That would be a really good first step . . .

Absolutely perform a back-up. If you're diligent and read again prior to each step, then everything should go well. Even if you hit a snag, redoing the procedure should set things straight. If you have the Pro edition, then turn off including battery powered devices.

In any case, battery powered device should be updated one-at-a-time after you complete restoring the modem (PLM). Be sure to take each battery powered device out of linking mode (or wait until it times out, about 4 minutes) before restoring another.

The entire procedure will take some time. Look for the busy message at the bottom left--and wait until activity stops before proceeding to the next step.

I would add budget lots of time and schedule this for a Sunday. Get into the most comfortable sweats and jersey you can find and have on tap your favorite beverage. Because this is going to take a long time so have a nice book ready, music, movie, what ever 

I would add budget lots of time and schedule this for a Sunday. Get into the most comfortable sweats and jersey you can find and have on tap your favorite beverage. Because this is going to take a long time so have a nice book ready, music, movie, what ever 

I really don't like to give up fun time. Find a late, long movie. Get it ready. Pause. Start the replace procedure. Pour a glass of wine, a bottle of beer or whatever pleases you when you watch a movie. Play. Do not fret over any problems or you'll be up all night primed to make inadvertent errors. Go to bed. Check the next day.

Start on a Friday night. That'll give you two full days, if needed. If you're lucky and most of us are with the ISY, there'll be, at the most, only a few minor problems. Or none at all B)

I really don't like to give up fun time. Find a late, long movie. Get it ready. Pause. Start the replace procedure. Pour a glass of wine, a bottle of beer or whatever pleases you when you watch a movie. Play. Do not fret over any problems or you'll be up all night primed to make inadvertent errors. Go to bed. Check the next day.

Start on a Friday night. That'll give you two full days, if needed. If you're lucky and most of us are with the ISY, there'll be, at the most, only a few minor problems. Or none at all B)

LOL . . .

I can only speak for myself but there would be very little *Buy In* from the GF unless this was very important to me. Thus, I would enjoy her company and give her those two days *Friday & Saturday* to do what ever with me. Sunday, would be left for me to do what ever I wanted with out being rushed.

Plus, I'll have someone to order around to press all the battery operated devices while I surf and watch the restore process!  :mrgreen:

Same procedure, played out a little differently. A few minor adjustments.

I really don't like to give up fun time. Find a late, long movie. Get it ready. Pause.  Start the replace procedure. Pour a glass of wine, a bottle of beer or whatever pleases you when you watch a movie the GF is at hand <--new instruction. Play <--this instruction remains. Do not fret over any problems or you'll be up all night primed to make inadvertent errors. Go to bed. Check the next day.

Start on a Friday night. That'll give you two full days to elicit help from the GF <--new instruction, if needed. If you're lucky and most of us are with the ISY, there'll be, at the most, only a few minor problems. Or none at all B)

OK well its crapped out again......uggghhhh. Still getting 32 links though.

Can I try a PLM Restore?

You can, but eventually the PLM will stop working all together. Things will be un-predictable until its replaced

Paul

Archived