No devices discovered using v3

JBHorne

I have no Alexa devices that can be selected in the Amazon app or ISY Admin Console and I have no light bulb icons (no icons whatsoever anywhere) in the Alexa app either? My Echoes and Dots are not selectable smart home devices, according to the lists, to be selected for inclusion in a group.

Where are the Amazon devices being found?

The Smart Home Groups are created in the Amazon Alexa app. If it is not giving you the option to add an Alexa Device to a group and/or you don't see some devices (not scenes) with the light bulb icon, then I think you must be running an old version of the app. I set mine up using the latest Alexa app on an iPhone.

Also, if you have the latest Alexa app but all of your devices are showing as OTHER, you may have not performed the migration to ISY Smart Home Skill v3 correctly:

1. Forget all devices - can only be done on the web app (http://alexa.amazon.com), not a mobile device or tablet

2. Disable v2 skill

3. Enable v3 skill

4. Discover devices and scenes.

But you don't have to put all of them in the group. Just put the lights that you want to control by the shortcut (the "implicit targeting" functionality) in the group, and leave the rest to be controlled by their spoken name.

If this implicit targeting works for thermostats as well, you may want to throw your thermostat for the room in the group as well, but I haven't tested that (don't have Insteon thermostats in new house yet).

Ah, yes, interesting concept. But, I would like to be able to be in a room and say "lamps on" and have only the table lamps be controlled. Then "lights on" in the same room and a set of lights come on but not the lamps. In ahort, i should be able to set which lights answer to which spoken word in each room..

BTW:There is going to be much confusion in the future because any ISY element that is not a device is found under the "Scene" tab. I don't use many scenes but all my links to programs are labelled as scenes too. Now we have Zwave scenes, groups, Insteon scenes,  ISY scenes, and Alexa scenes and groups. :(

Agreed. I have no intention of ever using the Amazon Alexa app to control my devices, and don't care one iota about the distinctions of device types, scenes, groups, etc. in the Alexa app. I don't see myself using this functionality for anything other than the implicit targeting function. I would have preferred a solution that would have put the room functionality over on the skill side (UDI's code), maybe using the Room labels from the portal, but the Alexa Smart Home Skill API just doesn't support such.

Ah, yes, interesting concept. But, I would like to be able to be in a room and say "lamps on" and have only the table lamps be controlled. Then "lights on" in the same room and a set of lights come on but not the lamps. In ahort, i should be able to set which lights answer to which spoken word in each room..

Yes, and "Fan On," "Fireplace On," etc. It would have been much better I think if the implicit targeting looked at the name of the devices to infer which to turn on or off instead of the displayCategory attribute which is limited to those categories defined by the API. Maybe a future version of the Alexa service will enable this.

The Smart Home Groups are created in the Amazon Alexa app. If it is not giving you the option to add an Alexa Device to a group and/or you don't see some devices (not scenes) with the light bulb icon, then I think you must be running an old version of the app. I set mine up using the latest Alexa app on an iPhone..

I'm back, This is the first time you mentioned using the iPhone app. That's somewhat different than the computer app. I'll play with the smartphone app to see what can be accomplished.

The Smart Home Groups are created in the Amazon Alexa app. If it is not giving you the option to add an Alexa Device to a group and/or you don't see some devices (not scenes) with the light bulb icon, then I think you must be running an old version of the app. I set mine up using the latest Alexa app on an iPhone.

Also, if you have the latest Alexa app but all of your devices are showing as OTHER, you may have not performed the migration to ISY Smart Home Skill v3 correctly:

1. Forget all devices - can only be done on the web app (http://alexa.amazon.com), not a mobile device or tablet

2. Disable v2 skill

3. Enable v3 skill

4. Discover devices and scenes.

Definiitely running v3 and all that was followed.

I a running the Alexa webpage app on a linux Chromium, windows 7 IE , windows 10 IE, and also android app. No icons or Alexa appliances available for grouping. :(

It should be noted that on the bigger screen computers there is no app to be had and the webpages know I am in Canada.

As per Stu I will have to go back ad check my Android app again.

Thanks!

It definitely appears that the alexa.amazon.com website lacks this functionality for U.S. computers as well. I can see my groups, but it doesn't show any icons for the devices and it doesn't list the Alexa device as a member of the group. However, it does still have the "Forget" button which is now gone in at least the iOS app. So, Amazon may update the web app to add the new Smart Home Group functionality, but if that also takes away the "Forget" button for devices and scenes, it creates a whole new batch of problems.

Honestly I didn't even know the web app existed until I was trying to find the "Forget" functionality to make the transition from the v2 to v3 skill. I have always used the iOS app for Alexa, so it didn't occur to me to make a distinction.

OK for the Android Alexa App in Canada.. The one that is pushed to the Canadian App store is an old version. (go figure). To fix that you can download an app called APKPure (it is safe) . With this one you can download any regional restricted app package and it installs it for you. This is how I've been using the Alexa Android app for couple years now. The latest Android Alexa App is v. 1.24.3096.0

Everything discussed above is in it.

Get the app feom: m.apkpure.com

Sent from my S7 Edge using Tapatalk

OK for the Android Alexa App in Canada.. The one that is pushed to the Canadian App store is an old version. (go figure). To fix that you can download an app called APKPure (it is safe) . With this one you can download any regional restricted app package and it installs it for you. This is how I've been using the Alexa Android app for couple years now. The latest Android Alexa App is v. 1.24.3096.0

Everything discussed above is in it.

Get the app feom: m.apkpure.com

Sent from my S7 Edge using Tapatalk

I updated from the canadian google play store to 1.24.3096.0.

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk

Canadian Play store? I didn't know there was such a thing. Is this an auto-switch thing or do I have to change over to it?

You only can see the Canadian App store from Canada.. Nothing to switch.. But I just installed the app from there and it's not the same (yet)

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I hope so. Thanks for pointing out the potential discrepancy though.

Do you have such screens:80b0738ebdfae73c334301512c872ff2.jpge56f3c2c57a915fbbe19eac8f3e2d8c9.jpg92bc0c70e17218b9e8c7d9c1331b6890.jpg

You only can see the Canadian App store from Canada.. Nothing to switch.. But I just installed the app from there and it's not the same (yet)

Do you have such screens:80b0738ebdfae73c334301512c872ff2.jpge56f3c2c57a915fbbe19eac8f3e2d8c9.jpg92bc0c70e17218b9e8c7d9c1331b6890.jpg

Sure do. Maybe they're still messing with it. It was only a couple weeks ago before i could even find the app on the play store. It was a few days after the announcement that the hardware would be released dec. 5. Before that i had to download the apk. The latest apk i downloaded was older than this version that updated from the play store though.

Do you have such screens:

I have none of those screens found on an apple, but I am running v1.24.3096.0, wherever it came from. Matter of fact I cannot operate devices from the Android app at all. There is no page like that, just a list of devices with their Insteon addresses.

I have none of those screens found on an apple, but I am running v1.24.3096.0, wherever it came from. Matter of fact I cannot operate devices from the Android app at all. There is no page like that, just a list of devices with their Insteon addresses.

Yeah so even if the version number is the same - the App is different :( Go the APKPure route..

Hmm should be just fine.. Especially since you already had the app on it..

Yeah it should but this happens a lot being more of a purebred google device. That's not the first app that was refused entry and won't be the last on that one. It's half crippled.

That app was the original one I downloaded in NY with a clean tablet and no Google accounts known on it, yet. Once I installed my google email account I was locked out of the app again, even while in NY.

I switched over to another Android 4.4.2 device and the amazon alexa app just doesn't show any device control pages and only The device/group/scene lists. There are no Echoes/Dots in any of the lists. Only ISY known devices. The Alexa app is the latest version also. This isn't the first time this has happened where Amazon releases permissions to my area months after everybody else. Postal code permission and Canadian address permission only showed up a week ago.

Seems I will just have to wait for some time. I don't have that many rooms involved yet anyway so "Turn On Bedroom light" or "Turn on Red Bedroom Lights" is not bad for now.

I haven't yet tried having an Echo device in each of two rooms on the same sub-account and using the same, identical command to control each light separately in each of those rooms, for example, "Alexa, turn the light on," turns on only the light in the room where I issue the command. But I found this which indicates that it can't be done.

Location specific requests like asking an Echo "Alexa, turn lights on" works with Alexa groups. As you guessed it, you need to have a group that contains your echo device, and the related lights.

Now, all that allows you to do is to turn them all on or off. "Alexa, turn lights off" will turn off the light devices from that group only.

Currently, there is no way to have the same spoken recognized using different groups. Whenever you request to turn on/off a specific device, the scope is not limited to the group the Echo is in. As an example, if you ask "Alexa, turn off bedroom", it will turn off that device, regardless of the group the device is assigned to, and regardless of the group in which that echo is.

Benoit

I have been using separate sub-accounts to accomplish the task and it works flawlessly. A tremendous advantage of v3 is that you no longer need an Amazon account for each sub-account.

OTOH, I find working on a computer more convenient for most tasks compared with using a smartphone, but that's just me. And that requires a free Amazon account. I do not use Prime for my sub-accounts. That may be a disadvantage for many of you.

BTW, an Amazon account supplements the functionality of a portal sub-account, it in no way interferes with the smartphone app.

Benoit’s post just indicates that you can’t have two devices with the same spoken name, even if you put them

In different groups. To use implicit targeting, you don’t want to name anything (device, scene, etc. ) “lights” so that this command is reserved for the implicit targeting.

BTW, it does work for devices now and should for ISY scenes after this weekend. Don’t know why you’re fighting it.

"Evolved"? You mean "hijacked"? ;)

Since you're the original poster can you request for an admin to change the thread to something like "Alexa Smarthome Skill Version 3 Setup Tips"?

This seems to be a little complicated to get this set up and running, given the interaction of the app and website, as noted by @kingwr

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived