No devices discovered using v3

JBHorne

kingwr, your description was spot on. In my case, I was trying to complicate the process. My first group, following your directions worked just fine. My second and third groups OTH not so much because I deviated from your instructions. Once I got back on task it worked just fine. Thank you!!

Thanks. I think Benoit's summary is right on point.

Because you don't have the proper app (we figured that out) not sure why.. Hence my suggestion to try the APKPure route. On 1 device I had the app trough APKPure for more than a year, on another device, installed 10 days ago (from Can store and still says latest) it's like yours, and in a third one, installed 5 days ago from Can store is the same as the in US store.. So go figure.. Eitherway you must have the proper app for that work. I also sent several screen grabs for you to compare with the app you have..

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Tried deleting the app completely, rebooting the android mobile device and reinstalling.

Tried deleting, installing the sideload APKPure app and loading their version.

Changed my amazon account back to a default NY address.

Got the same app version number every time with no device operating screens, no gui screens, snd no amazon devices in any lists except for the settings lists.

Not happening here for now.

Thanks all.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

Success at last. Thanks to kingwr (post #10) for indicating that multiple accounts aren't really needed for what I wanted to accomplish. And special thanks to all those who added the most important piece of information (mentioned by kingwr, but not until post #51)--that a smartphone Alexa app group is required.

I have notified amazon of my problems, beinh most of the newer features including join-in are not available.

I suspect amazon keeps a detail list of IP addresses that are not not allowed certain features and mine got missed when Canada was recently permitted to use these new features, being I am with a small ISP.

We'll see what amazon has to say.

Tried deleting the app completely, rebooting the android mobile device and reinstalling.

Tried deleting, installing the sideload APKPure app and loading their version.

Changed my amazon account back to a default NY address.

Got the same app version number every time with no device operating screens, no gui screens, snd no amazon devices in any lists except for the settings lists.

Not happening here for now.

Thanks all.

Have you (with the APK loaded):

1. Forgot all devices,

2. Disabled Skill V2,

3. Enabled ISY skill V3,

4. Discovered all devices.

The App it self has no IP restrictions what so ever. The Geo location restrictions are in the Google Play store, and on the alexa.amazon.com (vs. ca) I've tested that from dozens of IP addresses in Canada, US and Europe (during my last travels). If there were any IP restrictions in the app it self I wouldn't able to use it from Italy or Greece or Israel..

Have you (with the APK loaded):

1. Forgot all devices,

2. Disabled Skill V2,

3. Enabled ISY skill V3,

4. Discovered all devices.

The App it self has no IP restrictions what so ever. The Geo location restrictions are in the Google Play store, and on the alexa.amazon.com (vs. ca) I've tested that from dozens of IP addresses in Canada, US and Europe (during my last travels). If there were any IP restrictions in the app it self I wouldn't able to use it from Italy or Greece or Israel..

Good point about the IP address however, I know from the original install that the app can snoop into my google accounts and locks me out of things when I have any google account information on any machine so far.

The sideload from APKPure only lasts a few hours or less until it  gets updated to the newer version automatically. I guess I could turn that off somewhere. Android is constantly making those options harder to find now. :(

Amazon got back to me with a canned  piece of info text to reset this and that and delete your amazon app cache etc. Go to the app store etc...All the things already done.  Next step is to call them according to instructions. I am hearing they are becoming the best support in the world so I guess I am going to find out tomorrow. LOL

I am hearing they are becoming the best support in the world so I guess I am going to find out tomorrow.

My experience with Amazon support is among the best, second only to UDI support B)

I tried to read through all of the posts in this thread... but I'm sure I am missing something! I am having issues but I am trying to determine if this is what I should expect...

Here is what I did:

On my PC, I went on to the Alexa.Amazon.com  and logged into my account; I disabled the ISY v2 skill ; I then went into Smart Home/Devices and clicked on "Forget All". Then when I checked all Devices/Programs/Scenes were no longer showing.

Interestingly, when I clicked on Discover, even though the ISY skill was disabled, it reloaded all of my Devices/Programs/Scenes! Is this because my Portal Profile has the Amazon account linked? Should I change the Profile to 'Unlink Amazon account' and let the linkage only happen when I enable the ISY v3 skill?

Next, I enabled the ISY V3 skill which opened up the screen to authorize the linkage to my Portal account; after 'Submit" and closing the browser page, I was asked to 'Discover Devices'. Then all of my Devices/Programs/Scenes were found and all show up as Devices, but only the Programs/Scenes show up as scenes.

However, I also see that each of the Devices discovered show 2 entries on the Amazon site on my PC! Example... Office Light is a dimmer light switch with one Spoken "office light"; when I look at the list of Devices I am seeing 2 entries -  first, Office Light, ISY Dimmable device address 1A 58 5F 1, and a second one, office light, Office Light. This is repeated for each device I have set up in the Portal. It does not happen for scenes, programs or my thermostat.

Is this what is expected? One of my points of confusion relates to everything being in the 'Devices'! I think Benoit in one post said that they would all be there... Not sure I understand the logic in this!

My next issue is the Amazon app (iPhone)... in the Portal I clicked on the "Live Update" button. and then logged into the app on my iPhone.

When I open up the Smarthome section in the app, I see all of the same things in the Devices section as on my PC. However, my Office Light (from example above) is showing one instance as a device (with the light bulb) and the other with the icon of a little house with the wifi symbol inside (is this the icon for a scene?). The 2 instances only show in the Devices section of the app!

When I click on the Office Light device (the one with the light bulb icon) it opens up and has a message "There was a problem" and shows the light as off,  whereas it is on! When I click on the icon in the middle of that screen it first shows "Waiting for UDI" and then shows "Device was unresponsive". If I click on it a few times it finally recognizes and shows that the light is ON but shows the percentage as 0% whereas it's at 100%! If I move the slider at the bottom it does brighten or dim the light and then shows the correct level of brightness. Despite this the screen still shows "There was a problem".

Is this the same experience others are having? I'm not sure that I am seeing a lot of value in using this app on my phone... Mobilinc does a better job of showing me the status of my lights!

I tried to read through all of the posts in this thread... but I'm sure I am missing something! I am having issues but I am trying to determine if this is what I should expect...

Here is what I did:

On my PC, I went on to the Alexa.Amazon.com  and logged into my account; I disabled the ISY v2 skill ; I then went into Smart Home/Devices and clicked on "Forget All". Then when I checked all Devices/Programs/Scenes were no longer showing.

Interestingly, when I clicked on Discover, even though the ISY skill was disabled, it reloaded all of my Devices/Programs/Scenes! Is this because my Portal Profile has the Amazon account linked? Should I change the Profile to 'Unlink Amazon account' and let the linkage only happen when I enable the ISY v3 skill?

Next, I enabled the ISY V3 skill which opened up the screen to authorize the linkage to my Portal account; after 'Submit" and closing the browser page, I was asked to 'Discover Devices'. Then all of my Devices/Programs/Scenes were found and all show up as Devices, but only the Programs/Scenes show up as scenes.

However, I also see that each of the Devices discovered show 2 entries on the Amazon site on my PC! Example... Office Light is a dimmer light switch with one Spoken "office light"; when I look at the list of Devices I am seeing 2 entries -  first, Office Light, ISY Dimmable device address 1A 58 5F 1, and a second one, office light, Office Light. This is repeated for each device I have set up in the Portal. It does not happen for scenes, programs or my thermostat.

Is this what is expected? One of my points of confusion relates to everything being in the 'Devices'! I think Benoit in one post said that they would all be there... Not sure I understand the logic in this!

My next issue is the Amazon app (iPhone)... in the Portal I clicked on the "Live Update" button. and then logged into the app on my iPhone.

When I open up the Smarthome section in the app, I see all of the same things in the Devices section as on my PC. However, my Office Light (from example above) is showing one instance as a device (with the light bulb) and the other with the icon of a little house with the wifi symbol inside (is this the icon for a scene?). The 2 instances only show in the Devices section of the app!

When I click on the Office Light device (the one with the light bulb icon) it opens up and has a message "There was a problem" and shows the light as off,  whereas it is on! When I click on the icon in the middle of that screen it first shows "Waiting for UDI" and then shows "Device was unresponsive". If I click on it a few times it finally recognizes and shows that the light is ON but shows the percentage as 0% whereas it's at 100%! If I move the slider at the bottom it does brighten or dim the light and then shows the correct level of brightness. Despite this the screen still shows "There was a problem".

Is this the same experience others are having? I'm not sure that I am seeing a lot of value in using this app on my phone... Mobilinc does a better job of showing me the status of my lights!

That's a little confusing. Having problems with these new features MIA I notice this.

If you disabled V2 there are no devices to "forget all". The smart home devices list is shown in the ISY skill and the skill should not have existed after you disabled it. Also there should have been no place to click on "Discover".

I have to suspect somehow your V2 disable got ignored. You ISY portal connection is made by the ISY skill and not by the amazon app.

I suspect the V3 skill somehow absorbed your V2 skill that wasn't actually removed.

Amazon never forgets. The sequence in which you do things matters. Even if you disable a skill, the devices may remain in place.

First, disable the v2 skill, second, forget all devices. Third, enable the v3 skill. Finally, discover devices.

Amazon never forgets. The sequence in which you do things matters. Even if you disable a skill, the devices may remain in place.

First, disable the v2 skill, second, forget all devices. Third, enable the v3 skill. Finally, discover devices.

You are correct. My apologies for that confusion. That has changed. The devices were previously all in the skill and when I disabled v2 the devices had no place to hide. They were all gone!

Now alexa remembers all  your devices as well as your passwords.

Here is what I did:

On my PC, I went on to the Alexa.Amazon.com and logged into my account; I disabled the ISY v2 skill ; I then went into Smart Home/Devices and clicked on "Forget All". Then when I checked all Devices/Programs/Scenes were no longer showing.

Next, I enabled the ISY V3 skill which opened up the screen to authorize the linkage to my Portal account; after 'Submit" and closing the browser page, I was asked to 'Discover Devices'. Then all of my Devices/Programs/Scenes were found and all show up as Devices, but only the Programs/Scenes show up as scenes.

However, I also see that each of the Devices discovered show 2 entries on the Amazon site on my PC! Example... Office Light is a dimmer light switch with one Spoken "office light"; when I look at the list of Devices I am seeing 2 entries - first, Office Light, ISY Dimmable device address 1A 58 5F 1, and a second one, office light, Office Light. This is repeated for each device I have set up in the Portal. It does not happen for scenes, programs or my thermostat.

When I click on the Office Light device (the one with the light bulb icon) it opens up and has a message "There was a problem" and shows the light as off, whereas it is on! When I click on the icon in the middle of that screen it first shows "Waiting for UDI" and then shows "Device was unresponsive". If I click on it a few times it finally recognizes and shows that the light is ON but shows the percentage as 0% whereas it's at 100%! If I move the slider at the bottom it does brighten or dim the light and then shows the correct level of brightness. Despite this the screen still shows "There was a problem".

You first forget all the devices until you see nothing showing, then disable the V2, then enable V3 and rediscover. OR disable V2, enable V3, then forget all devices until see nothing left and then do rediscover.

Have duplicate devices clearly shows old devices were not all forgotten..

Ok I read and tried what you guys wrote and each time I had the same results as before! It didn't matter in which order (I tried them all!)!

So I did another "Forget All" and deleted V2 and V3. Then I went into the Portal and first, turned off Live Update, then secondly I went into the Portal "My Profile" and selected  'Unlink Amazon accountand 'Save'. Then I returned to the alexa.amazon.com app (on my PC) and enabled the v3 skill and went through the authorization to link the account with the Portal. Finally, I did "Rediscover" and I now seem to have the right things in the right order with no duplicates.

On my phone, everything looks right... the Device tab only shows actual devices each with light bulb icons and the scenes and programs are showing in the Scenes tab. Not sure about the usefulness of this app  though because the Office Light still shows as Off when it really is On and the screen still has the warning "There was a problem"... and as I stated, in my earlier post, Mobilinc is a better tool to see the status of my lights. If the key purpose is to modify the set up for Alexa (new skills...etc) then I will stick to the browser on my PC! Am I missing something about this app?

Ok I read and tried what you guys wrote and each time I had the same results as before! It didn't matter in which order (I tried them all!)!

So I did another "Forget All" and deleted V2 and V3. Then I went into the Portal and first, turned off Live Update, then secondly I went into the Portal "My Profile" and selected  'Unlink Amazon accountand 'Save'. Then I returned to the alexa.amazon.com app (on my PC) and enabled the v3 skill and went through the authorization to link the account with the Portal. Finally, I did "Rediscover" and I now seem to have the right things in the right order with no duplicates.

On my phone, everything looks right... the Device tab only shows actual devices each with light bulb icons and the scenes and programs are showing in the Scenes tab. Not sure about the usefulness of this app  though because the Office Light still shows as Off when it really is On and the screen still has the warning "There was a problem"... and as I stated, in my earlier post, Mobilinc is a better tool to see the status of my lights. If the key purpose is to modify the set up for Alexa (new skills...etc) then I will stick to the browser on my PC! Am I missing something about this app?

I can't see any statuses at all and there is no control either in my app. Every week or so I find another feature working that others have been using for months. Very weird.

• I use the alexa app mostly for a grocery shopping list. Best feature alexa has other than HA.  User named lists just started functioning this week for me also.
  • Alexa....add chocolate!
  • .....Chocolate is added to your shopping list.
  •  
  • Alexa....add chocolate to my Costco list!
  • ....chocolate is added to your Costco list.

only trouble is  loading the app takes about 45-60 seconds in the store. Too slow!

The Alexa mobile app is needed to create Smart Home Groups that contain an Alexa device (Echo, Dot, etc.) to enable the “implicit targeting” feature.

Alexa devices are not avialabe in my mobile apps on three different mobile devices. This is somehow account related using the latest version.

And yes, the whole system has been disabled, forgotten, removed, deleted, reloaded, sideloaded, many times.

Google support has only responded with the canned "reset it"  help, so far. 

Ecobee immediately  admitted they have many complaints from that end and are working on their connections. I have seen one improvement there, so far, with the response arbitration working now.

The Alexa mobile app is needed to create Smart Home Groups that contain an Alexa device (Echo, Dot, etc.) to enable the “implicit targeting” feature.

I have not looked into 'Groups' so far and cannot claim to have any deep understanding of what they do... having said that, what is the difference between creating a Smart Home group on the mobile app or creating a Smart Home group on my PC on the amazon app?

I have not looked into 'Groups' so far and cannot claim to have any deep understanding of what they do... having said that, what is the difference between creating a Smart Home group on the mobile app or creating a Smart Home group on my PC on the amazon app?

Many claim they can add an amazon device into a group. That way they can use commands like.

• Alexa... Turn on the light.

and alexa will know what room you are in, and operate the correct room's light using the same generic device command in any room.

I think you need to read a page or two back in this thread. It's all there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alexa devices are not avialabe in my mobile apps on three different mobile devices. This is somehow account related using the latest version.

And yes, the whole system has been disabled, forgotten, removed, deleted, reloaded, sideloaded, many times.

Google support has only responded with the canned "reset it"  help, so far. 

I cannot for the life of me understand why there would be a system in place to disable specific functionality in an app like this based on region or account. I can see such a system for limiting streaming content or live events, but why in the hell would Amazon care if Canadians had the implicit targeting feature for their Alexa devices?!? That makes no sense whatsoever!

I cannot for the life of me understand why there would be a system in place to disable specific functionality in an app like this based on region or account. I can see such a system for limiting streaming content or live events, but why in the hell would Amazon care if Canadians had the implicit targeting feature for their Alexa devices?!? That makes no sense whatsoever!

It doesn't.. I have 3 android devices and even tho on one I had sideloaded US apk (it was geo-restricted in Google Play Store before) on the other 2 (phone and tablet) loaded from the app store when became available a week or do ago.. They all have all the functionality right now.. They do however base some things on country settings in one's amazon account (like country based skills and language)..

There are certain things not allowed in Canada for various political  and economical reasons. Right now I am discovering huge differences between browser versions.

Google chrome on my Android 6.0  tablet is not allowed to access the app due to it being reported as "not compatible".

My Notebook with win 7 x 32 using IE 11 cannot access the web page version. The "Remember me",  "Show Password" and "Log in" buttons have been disabled so no access can be had there.

My desktop with win 10  using IE 11 can load the webpage but none of the new features work...yet.

My mobile Android 4.2.? loads and runs the app just fine but no new features are enabled...yet. This is changing weekly as features seem to get enabled.

My mobile Android 5.? device, after removing everything and reinstalling (it wouldn't update or recognised it needed to) seems to have all the features now! AFAICT That's one success so far.

Many claim they can add an amazon device into a group. That way they can use commands like.

• Alexa... Turn on the light.

and alexa will know what room you are in, and operate the correct room's light using the same generic device command in any room.

That is correct. In every room with an Alexa device, I can say, "Alexa, lights On/Off."

The lights I have associated with the device will respond.

There are certain things not allowed in Canada for various political and economical reasons. Right now I am discovering huge differences between browser versions.

Google chrome on my Android 6.0 tablet is not allowed to access the app due to it being reported as "not compatible".

My Notebook with win 7 x 32 using IE 11 cannot access the web page version. The "Remember me", "Show Password" and "Log in" buttons have been disabled so no access can be had there.

My desktop with win 10 using IE 11 can load the webpage but none of the new features work...yet.

My mobile Android 4.2.? loads and runs the app just fine but no new features are enabled...yet. This is changing weekly as features seem to get enabled.

My mobile Android 5.? device, after removing everything and reinstalling (it wouldn't update or recognised it needed to) seems to have all the features now! AFAICT That's one success so far.

There are certain things not allowed in Canada for various political and economical reasons. Right now I am discovering huge differences between browser versions.

Google chrome on my Android 6.0 tablet is not allowed to access the app due to it being reported as "not compatible".

My Notebook with win 7 x 32 using IE 11 cannot access the web page version. The "Remember me", "Show Password" and "Log in" buttons have been disabled so no access can be had there.

My desktop with win 10 using IE 11 can load the webpage but none of the new features work...yet.

If you read the description of the Alexa App in the store, it says : "The new capabilities are available to customers with phones on Android 5.0 or later." Also, it was said here many times that the new features are not available in a browser (any browser) but only in the phone app.

The smartphone app allows you to select which Echo device will respond to the command. The computer app does not offer that choice, every Echo device on the same account will respond.

The smartphone app allow placing device that have a light bulb icon into a group (as well as which Echo device). You can place any device, scene or program into the computer group.

Finally, the portal allows you to select which device have a light bulb or other icon for the smartphone app. That has no effect on the computer group.

Archived