No devices discovered using v3

JBHorne

If you read the description of the Alexa App in the store, it says : "The new capabilities are available to customers with phones on Android 5.0 or later." Also, it was said here many times that the new features are not available in a browser (any browser) but only in the phone app.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Good catch! That would explain a lot of the problems. Thanks FallenAngel!!! :)

I would be sure the Canadian location problems should have all gone away that I had before. This and previous major vs minor geo problems have confused the troubleshooting. 

Amazon is  definitely playing OS favourites here! Again some brands lose out :(

Now the decision to be made. A few Google Homes are a far cry cheaper than a a new android mobile phone. I only have five amazon devices so far.

Maybe a different browser on my android tablet may make it work but for now I don't see any more effort to make this work. it would be nice to make the intercom feature work but that shouldn't need a permanent usage of an android 5 or later.

Now I have to figure out why all my Dots and Echoes blurped as loud as they can go, and now have yellow throbbing on top for the last four hours, after reloading the android 5 app again.They all HA function still   :(

Good catch! That would explain a lot of the problems. Thanks FallenAngel!!! :)

I would be sure the Canadian location problems should have all gone away that I had before. This and previous major vs minor geo problems have confused the troubleshooting.

Amazon is definitely playing OS favourites here! Again some brands lose out :(

Now the decision to be made. A few Google Homes are a far cry cheaper than a a new android mobile phone. I only have five amazon devices so far.

Maybe a different browser on my android tablet may make it work but for now I don't see any more effort to make this work. it would be nice to make the intercom feature work but that shouldn't need a permanent usage of an android 5 or later.

Now I have to figure out why all my Dots and Echoes blurped as loud as they can go, and now have yellow throbbing on top for the last four hours, after reloading the android 5 app again.They all HA function still :(

That means you have messages just say Alexa, what did I miss..

Here to see all: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/help/id=201601790

Yeah, if only we had won the Battle of Quebec in 1775, you wouldn't have these problems. I will let you decide which problem is worse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouch! I think we did but were too darn nice. N'est-ce pas?

This brings up a good question. "Does Alexa understand French?"...or even Spanish?...from testing just now...nope.

My intercom worked fine without any iOS or Android apps needed, but is now broken since switching my account over to Amazon.ca

You first forget all the devices until you see nothing showing, then disable the V2, then enable V3 and rediscover. OR disable V2, enable V3, then forget all devices until see nothing left and then do rediscover.

Have duplicate devices clearly shows old devices were not all forgotten..

I am having the same trouble GMD99 did.  In switching to V3 I deleted the old skill and all devices at alexa.amazon.com as well as cleared devices in my portal account (new install).  I did a few discoveries to make sure it came up empty, then out of curiosity added one device and discovered devices before installing V3.  It discovered the one device I had reentered into the portal, and it worked.  upon enabling v3 and clearing/discovering, it is now discovering duplicates that are as GMD99 described.  What should I be seeing?    I have forgotten all, wiped the portal and tried again, still getting duplicates.

I have unlinked my amazon account both on portal and at amazon, deleted all spokens in portal, disabled the skill, forgetten all, multiple times...  I add a new device that has never been on the portal and it is found as two, one with the device name, one with the address.  WTF?

The reason for multiple devices is because somehow, Amazon is making a request for a previous skill version. They are doubled because the device unique IDs are generated differently.

I have seen cases where Amazon keeps remnants of former skills.

Here in the dev environment, whenever I do a discovery, I keep getting requests from Amazon that are from former test oAuth client IDs that belong to test skills that have long been disabled.

I had reported that to Amazon, but this seems to be a complex issue.

I would try this; Go to www.amazon.com, go to Your Account, and under Other accounts, click Login with Amazon. If using V3, you no longer need a consent for ISY Portal. 

Alternatively, you can go to ISY Portal, My Profile, and unlink from Amazon. If using V3, you no longer need that.

Either way, that will block access for the V1 and V2 skill.

FYI, V1 and V2 were using Amazon's oAuth "Login with Amazon". V3 is using our own oAuth server.

Benoit

The reason for multiple devices is because somehow, Amazon is making a request for a previous skill version. They are doubled because the device unique IDs are generated differently.

I have seen cases where Amazon keeps remnants of former skills.

Here in the dev environment, whenever I do a discovery, I keep getting requests from Amazon that are from former test oAuth client IDs that belong to test skills that have long been disabled.

I had reported that to Amazon, but this seems to be a complex issue.

I would try this; Go to www.amazon.com, go to Your Account, and under Other accounts, click Login with Amazon. If using V3, you no longer need a consent for ISY Portal. 

Alternatively, you can go to ISY Portal, My Profile, and unlink from Amazon. If using V3, you no longer need that.

Either way, that will block access for the V1 and V2 skill.

FYI, V1 and V2 were using Amazon's oAuth "Login with Amazon". V3 is using our own oAuth server.

Benoit

Thank you very much, Benoit, that worked.  Removing the link did solve the double entries!  I had been on v1 prior to this upgrade as my ISY had been in a box for over a year awaiting time to install in my new house.

Are others out there using v3 without removing that connection?  I had removed it from both ends and reconnected during troubleshooting.  I realize now I had not stated the reconnection I'd made, but you had me pegged!

Is it something I should have Amazon support address or should I just leave it?

• 3 weeks later...

This topic, "No devices discovered using v3," I thought might answer my question regarding inability of the Echo app to discover a new device added (installed) to my ISY.  Having read it all, I must say that I am thoroughly confused. 

What happened?  I added a 2457 LampLinc Dimmer to my collection of Insteon devices controlled by my ISY994 and made sure that it was working OK with the ISY.  I then went to add it to the Echo Dot that I installed back in July, and couldn't see the device in the Echo app in either my PC nor on my android smart phone.  I kept trying to "Discover Devices" over and over.  Finally, I stumbled onto some information that said I needed to update my Skill from V2 to V3.  Following the instructions I did so and now I have a royal mess.  I am down to only 18 devices discovered, others are missing including the new 2457 I installed last month.   I did a factory reset on the hub and have removed and reinstalled the app multiple times and no changes. 

Frustration level is close to the boiling point.  Now a days, I like to get things working and then not mess with it.  When an update comes along, I will usually install it.  But this update of V2 to V3 is more like going from one software application written by ABC company to a similar but different one written by the XYZ company with no warnings nor instructions. 

I used to be a pretty good programmer but now, in my 80's, my mind doesn't grasp this kind of stuff like it used to.  From what I have read, it appears that V3 still is not ready for Prime Time.  I have to say that I am more than a little disappointed.

Dave Baldwin

No device can be discovered unless it's first added to the portal and given a spoken and, after that, having the app (are you using the computer app or the smartphone app?) discover.

The procdure for upgrading to ISY v.3 skill from any other ISY skill is to first use the computer app to "Forget All" devices and only after that's complete to use either app to discover devices or scenes. Whichever you choose, device or scenes. both will be updated.

If it's a mess now, don't be concerned, just follow the procedure outlined above.

This topic, "No devices discovered using v3," I thought might answer my question regarding inability of the Echo app to discover a new device added (installed) to my ISY.  Having read it all, I must say that I am thoroughly confused. 

What happened?  I added a 2457 LampLinc Dimmer to my collection of Insteon devices controlled by my ISY994 and made sure that it was working OK with the ISY.  I then went to add it to the Echo Dot that I installed back in July, and couldn't see the device in the Echo app in either my PC nor on my android smart phone.  I kept trying to "Discover Devices" over and over.  Finally, I stumbled onto some information that said I needed to update my Skill from V2 to V3.  Following the instructions I did so and now I have a royal mess.  I am down to only 18 devices discovered, others are missing including the new 2457 I installed last month.   I did a factory reset on the hub and have removed and reinstalled the app multiple times and no changes. 

Frustration level is close to the boiling point.  Now a days, I like to get things working and then not mess with it.  When an update comes along, I will usually install it.  But this update of V2 to V3 is more like going from one software application written by ABC company to a similar but different one written by the XYZ company with no warnings nor instructions. 

I used to be a pretty good programmer but now, in my 80's, my mind doesn't grasp this kind of stuff like it used to.  From what I have read, it appears that V3 still is not ready for Prime Time.  I have to say that I am more than a little disappointed.

Dave Baldwin

Factory reset a hub?  An Insteon Hub by SmartLabs?  You should only be using the ISY as controller as the two cannot play well together without a very particular procedure to achieve negligible benefit.

As Stu stated, your initial issue was due to not adding the new device to the Amazon connection on the portal Connections tab from the pulldown menu.  You need to get everything back to baseline before proceeding or you will only be more disappointed.  Alexa can only see what you explicitly share on that Amazon tab, and having it in V3 now gives you more control on what Alexa sees. (e.g. call anything a "light" so you can use it in a routine.)

The procdure for upgrading to ISY v.3 skill from any other ISY skill is to first use the computer app to "Forget All" devices and only after that's complete to use either app to discover devices or scenes. Whichever you choose, device or scenes. both will be updated.

I admit I read this thread in pieces, but since we never got the thread title changed as I had suggested, and if UPGRADING is indeed as easy as you stated, maybe we should start a new thread?

I guess it would be a thread specifically for upgrading from an older ISY skill to V3. We could outline these steps.

I have been waiting to upgrade due to all the issues noted in his thread, and frankly I don’t need any more “techeadaches”, but again, I read the thread in pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived