The Alexa Notifications

TheFallenAngel

Just to clarify if we assume this feature ever gets off the ground and into production. Will Alexa speak out loud without human intervention?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technically, I think it can. But Alexa notifications are not meant to work this way.

Alexa notifications that are sent by a skill are sent to a queue, then a visual notification and/or an audio indication is sent to the device. 

At this point, a user can ask “Alexa, what did I miss?” or “Alexa, what are my notifications?

So, notifications are meant to be retrieved by a vocal request from the end user.

Now, I see a possible trick we could use to speak without a request from the user, and it would involve the use of the audio indicator. But that can be tricky, as this means we would need to create on-the-fly an audio file and use it as the audio indicator.

I'm not sure if Amazon would approve a skill which does that.

Benoit

Technically, I think it can. But Alexa notifications are not meant to work this way.

Alexa notifications that are sent by a skill are sent to a queue, then a visual notification and/or an audio indication is sent to the device.

At this point, a user can ask “Alexa, what did I miss?” or “Alexa, what are my notifications?

So, notifications are meant to be retrieved by a vocal request from the end user.

Now, I see a possible trick we could use to speak without a request from the user, and it would involve the use of the audio indicator. But that can be tricky, as this means we would need to create on-the-fly an audio file and use it as the audio indicator.

Benoit

Well first do regular ones :) After that can play with the 'hacked' option :)

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

At this point, a user can ask “Alexa, what did I miss?” or “Alexa, what are my notifications?

Benoit

Well first do regular ones :) After that can play with the 'hacked' option :)

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

^ What this man said . . . .  :mrgreen:

• 3 months later...
43 minutes ago, Brett said:

So did anyone ever figure this one out? Seems like there is an interest for voice notifications from Alexa without having to ask alexa what I missed. 

It was announced over your Amazon devices a few days ago. Perhaps you were not there to hear it? :)

On 5/8/2018 at 11:26 PM, larryllix said:

It was announced over your Amazon devices a few days ago. Perhaps you were not there to hear it? :)

Alright.... That was pretty good larryllix. I should have seen that coming, well done.

Archived