Creating a Power Management Console for the ISY ZS option with Node-Red

LFMc

Just FYI, this is what I got from their tier 2 by email on Monday, with no updates since then.  If you guys can assist them in any way, please do.  ;)

At this time the Home Area Network back system is down. Our I.T. team is diligently working to find the root cause and resolve this issue. Unfortunately at this time we do not have an ETA on when this system issue will be resolved. Once our system is back up we will notify you immediately with the steps that will be taken to get your device re-register with the meter.

We thank for your patience during this time period and we apologize for any inconvenience this system error has caused. We look forward to getting your device paired and working again.

Sincerely,

Home and Business Area Network Team

Excellent.  I called this morning to start again, and it looks like everything has pushed through.  I appear to be back in business.  Interestingly, within about 30 seconds of requesting to register an existing device on the SCE website, the ZS binded and synched up.  

The SCE website still says the status is "registration pending," but at least I'm getting data.  Nothing is going to change for the next few days, so we'll see how things go.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok.  The webpage isn't pretty, but it's complete with regard to the metered data I have access to through SCE and the current stable firmware of the ISY.  There's hints here and there in this forum that 5.x will enable a few extra metered data items, but whether they're available or not shouldn't change how this works.

I should have two screen shots below.  One is the Node-Red complete flow, the other is the dashboard output that results.  I broke a general visual programming rule and allowed some traces to cross the "one page" boundary (at normal browser zoom, some traces can't fit on one screen, which can be hard to debug), but not too badly.  

I'm still running in a container on a sonology box, but I think I'm inches away from turning this into a flow running on an RPi, and once that's done and working, I can pretty easily generate a guide to get NR running, to import the flow, and to adjust a few things in the flow so that it drags data from your ZS with your credentials and plots it.

Immense thanks to LFMc in getting the ball rolling for me.  I think I'll also add in at least one device controller button on the dashboard using fahrer16's nodes so that it's provided as an example for further development (really, just like all the graphing).  I really wanted to graph all the available meter data for a while to see what rates made sense and so that a follow on user would have as much as possible in front of them, to see what their data looks like.  I may also put in a programmatic device toggle based on demand state, for an example... I just want to limit the examples to sort of the base system someone might have.  I'm guessing anyone with an ISY will have a few device controllers, but maybe won't have a smart thermostat tied in (for example).

Anyway, thoughts and comments are welcome. 

dashplot.png

Plotitall.png

7 hours ago, fisix said:

Anyway, thoughts and comments are welcome. 

Excellent job. ? ?  It is always gratifying to know you helped someone else get going on something like this. 

A  comment and a question, you may be aware that Node-Red has link-in and link-out nodes so you can "worm hole" your lines across the page or to other pages if the crossed lines bother you or for purely aesthetic  reasons. 

Do you have off grid power sources?  I guess the negative power consumption is due to you selling back power to the TDU?

Thanks fisix!

We are expanding our RATES pilot in the SCE territory. If you are in the SCE territory, are already on TOU rate, and would like more information about free equipment and requirements, please PM me. 

Some cool things:

Alexa, ask Energy Expert:

- How much electricity am I using

- When is the best time to do my laundry, charge my car, run the Pool Pump

- Set my comfort level

With kind regards,

Michel

• 10 months later...
On 7/13/2018 at 8:15 AM, LFMc said:

Excellent job. ? ?  It is always gratifying to know you helped someone else get going on something like this. 

A  comment and a question, you may be aware that Node-Red has link-in and link-out nodes so you can "worm hole" your lines across the page or to other pages if the crossed lines bother you or for purely aesthetic  reasons. 

Do you have off grid power sources?  I guess the negative power consumption is due to you selling back power to the TDU?

Thanks! and sorry for taking so long to get back to you.  I've just now started contemplating the upgrade to the 5.x firmware...

On the lines - I wanted to keep it all up front for anyone wanting to see what's going on... though any more complexity will require the link-in/out.

Yes as to the off grid - I have a solar generating system that swings power usage negative when it isn't raining (typically not an issue, but is this year).  Eventually, I'll also have some battery storage stuff and will have to link that into the system as well, ideally to communicate and manage power usage in the house.

On 7/13/2018 at 8:38 AM, Michel Kohanim said:

Thanks fisix!

We are expanding our RATES pilot in the SCE territory. If you are in the SCE territory, are already on TOU rate, and would like more information about free equipment and requirements, please PM me. 

Some cool things:

Alexa, ask Energy Expert:

- How much electricity am I using

- When is the best time to do my laundry, charge my car, run the Pool Pump

- Set my comfort level

With kind regards,

Michel

We did not move to TOU rates when we installed the solar.  Instead, we sized it so that it was unlikely that we'd use more than we generate in a year.  

For now, I'll focus on getting the firmware upgrade doing without losing link to the smartmeter, and then purchasing the external zwave add-on so that I can control some of the new motorized blinds we purchased last weekend.

And, I'll figure out a way to upload the flow in a way that might be useful for others getting started.  Are customers moving away from the zigbee option?

• 4 months later...

Archived