How to trigger a scene using double tap

born2dive

I realize this is a basic question but I was not able to find the answer.

I have 3 patio lights, each controlled by an Insteon on/off switch (not dimmer) and they operate fine individually.

I have setup a scene that include all 3 that allows me to turn on all the lights in the backyard at once.  The scene works fine from the ISY admin console or from Mobilinc.

I'd like to be able to turn the scene (all 3 lights) on from the any of the switches using a double tap so I can keep the flexibility to turn them on individually or all together.

Can I trigger the scene using a double tap? How? 

Can I also turn off the scene using a double tap? 

I assume that the 3 lights should be setup as responders.  Is that right?

Thanks.

Insteon scenes can't be specified by double tap. However, you can get the same results with this:

1. Create a scene where all 3 are Responders only
  2. Create 2 programs

If 

switchA is switched fast on

or switchB is switched fast on

or switchC is switched fast on

Then

Set SceneAllThree on

Create as similar program for off

There will be a second or two delay

Paul

Insteon scenes can't be specified by double tap. However, you can get the same results with this:

1. Create a scene where all 3 are Responders only
  2. Create 2 programs

If 

switchA is switched fast on

or switchB is switched fast on

or switchC is switched fast on

Then

Set SceneAllThree on

Create as similar program for off

There will be a second or two delay

Paul

Perfect!  Thank you!

I realize this is a basic question but I was not able to find the answer.

I have 3 patio lights, each controlled by an Insteon on/off switch (not dimmer) and they operate fine individually.

I have setup a scene that include all 3 that allows me to turn on all the lights in the backyard at once. The scene works fine from the ISY admin console or from Mobilinc.

I'd like to be able to turn the scene (all 3 lights) on from the any of the switches using a double tap so I can keep the flexibility to turn them on individually or all together.

Can I trigger the scene using a double tap? How?

Can I also turn off the scene using a double tap?

I assume that the 3 lights should be setup as responders. Is that right?

Thanks.

My insteon on/off switches do not have fast on/off options. Only dimmers have that feature.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Only dimmers can make functional use of fast on / fast off on their loads -- it overrides a slow dim up or down rate. However, insteon on/off switches support the ability to be locally double tapped fast on/off, and ISY programs can detect that. 

On/Off switches also send dimming commands to dimmable devices linked scenes when when using "press and hold" of the paddle or keypadkey.  ISY programs do not see this and not able to respond to it

Paul

Only dimmers can make functional use of fast on / fast off on their loads -- it overrides a slow dim up or down rate. However, insteon on/off switches support the ability to be locally double tapped fast on/off, and ISY programs can detect that.

On/Off switches also send dimming commands to dimmable devices linked scenes when when using "press and hold" of the paddle or keypadkey. ISY programs do not see this and not able to respond to it

Paul

Paul, your double taps must be faster than mine. Lol. Never got it to work. Research on my switches showed there is no such response on my on/off switches. Maybe you have a different model?

Paul, your double taps must be faster than mine. Lol. Never got it to work. Research on my switches showed there is no such response on my on/off switches. Maybe you have a different model?

Leon,

If you open your ISY Admin Console, find the on/off device and click on it, look at the options at the bottom. Fast On / Off should be there.

This is what was recommended to the OP

I have several on/offs that I detect being switched locally fast on / off.  Attached is a pic of one of my oldest togglincs in the if part of an ISY program. The fast on / off buttons are there and work in the Admin console.

Also a sample If statement where the ISY is allow me to detect fast on/off from in a program

Its the same double tap speed as any other switch.

Paul

post-5496-0-94327300-1512917028_thumb.jpg

post-5496-0-19482000-1512917523_thumb.jpg

Just confirming, I followed the suggested solution and it worked just fine (ISY detected double tap) using on/off switches.

Leon,

If you open your ISY Admin Console, find the on/off device and click on it, look at the options at the bottom. Fast On / Off should be there.

This is what was recommended to the OP

I have several on/offs that I detect being switched locally fast on / off.  Attached is a pic of one of my oldest togglincs in the if part of an ISY program. The fast on / off buttons are there and work in the Admin console.

Also a sample If statement where the ISY is allow me to detect fast on/off from in a program

Its the same double tap speed as any other switch.

Paul

Ok, yes, mine has the fast on/off buttons on the Admin console also, but I spent a lot of time trying to get a program to respond to the fast on/off from the switch and gave up. I have that same type of program working else where with dimmer switches that work great. I just programmed (for grins) it again and still doesn't work. Mine is a  2476s v.41 switch which I think is a bit older and powerline communications only. I just chalked it up to all on/off switches not have the fast features. 

what is really interesting is even if I issue the fast on from the admin console, the program still doesn't run. 

Mine is a  2476s v.41 switch which I think is a bit older and powerline communications only. I just chalked it up to all on/off switches not have the fast features. 

Leon

I believe this feature was designed into insteon and in the Insteon whitepaper.  

what is really interesting is even if I issue the fast on from the admin console, the program still doesn't run. 

This is "working as designed". The messages generated by insteon switches that are associated with "if xxx is switched on/off" are transmitted only when locally and physically tap/double tap/holding the switch. Remotely activating the switch does not send the messages back out, ISY programs won't respond.

This applies to linked devices too.. turning on a switch via admin console or ISY program does not turn on linked devices it activates when switching it on locally.  What should work in programs is status on/off, no matter how the switch is activated, its status should be detected.

Paul

Leon

I believe this feature was designed into insteon and in the Insteon whitepaper.  

This is "working as designed". The messages generated by insteon switches that are associated with "if xxx is switched on/off" are transmitted only when locally and physically tap/double tap/holding the switch. Remotely activating the switch does not send the messages back out, ISY programs won't respond.

This applies to linked devices too.. turning on a switch via admin console or ISY program does not turn on linked devices it activates when switching it on locally.  What should work in programs is status on/off, no matter how the switch is activated, its status should be detected.

Paul

It appears this 2476S switch may have partially failed, if that is possible. It does not send DON, DOF or DFON, DFOF when pressed locally. It turns on and off the light locally and responds to all inbound requests from the ISY. I tried factory reset, did a restore device  and it is still acting the same way. I am going to yank it and put in a newer dual band unit. Then I can test it further off line. Sorry for the confusion. 

Ok, yes, mine has the fast on/off buttons on the Admin console also, but I spent a lot of time trying to get a program to respond to the fast on/off from the switch and gave up. I have that same type of program working else where with dimmer switches that work great. I just programmed (for grins) it again and still doesn't work. Mine is a 2476s v.41 switch which I think is a bit older and powerline communications only. I just chalked it up to all on/off switches not have the fast features.

I've used insteon for many years (even early 2476 models). Though all of my devices are newer for the most part, even back then the DBL tap worked as a fast on.

I had a similar issue before, somehow the switches lost the route back to the PLM. A reset device from the ISY console should fix it, if not, try removing the device, reset the device locally, re-add to ISY.

If all that fails, then yeah, switch could be bad.

It appears this 2476S switch may have partially failed, if that is possible. It does not send DON, DOF or DFON, DFOF when pressed locally. It turns on and off the light locally and responds to all inbound requests from the ISY. I tried factory reset, did a restore device and it is still acting the same way. I am going to yank it and put in a newer dual band unit. Then I can test it further off line. Sorry for the confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar issue before, somehow the switches lost the route back to the PLM. A reset device from the ISY console should fix it, if not, try removing the device, reset the device locally, re-add to ISY.

If all that fails, then yeah, switch could be bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to suggest the same.  I had some devices orphaned from PLM after a replacement that could be operated fine but did not report status because the PLM link was missing in both the ISY and the device, so restore did not rebuild the reference to the PLM.  They had to be removed and re-added after reset rather than restored.

You might be able to save programming and whatnot be temporarily "replacing" the switch with another, then swapping back, but that might erase the new PLM link again.

• 2 weeks later...

I just was able to set up two scenes using the double tap feature that turns flood lights on multiple buildings from six different switches. It works fine. Had one issue with one of the switches that wasn't responding. I deleted it from the scene and then re-added it. That solved the problem. Now everything works great.

I just was able to set up two scenes using the double tap feature that turns flood lights on multiple buildings from six different switches. It works fine. Had one issue with one of the switches that wasn't responding. I deleted it from the scene and then re-added it. That solved the problem. Now everything works great.

With a program?  Or you just connected all the devices in a scene as all controllers?

Archived