Lamplincs Suddenly Unreliable

GTCJ

Thank you.  I hadn't seen that.  I did reset the PLM earlier today and now it only list 61 links.

that's not good. Try a few more times. If the count remains low, then that's a sign of a failing PLM. Each device has at least one link. If there's more than one mode, then each mode has a link (e.g., KPL). If a device is both a controller and responder, as most are, then that's at least two links. Responds to more than one device, more links; controls more than one device, more links. And you have 300 or more devices.

Hello GTCJ,

While it is entirely possible that your PLM is having power supply issues, getting a good PLM link table read is actually quite difficult to do.  Problems arise if there is ANY program or device activity while the reading is in process. 

LeeG posted a rather nice explanation of what happens when the read process is interrupted here : https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/19022-cant-view-plm-links-table/?p=177734

The fact you were seeing wide variations in the link count is more likely due to the read process being interrupted.

Your most recent post after resetting the PLM has me confused.  Either the PLM is failing or you "FACTORY RESET" the PLM, and in doing so wiped out the Link table.  If you did perform a factory reset, you will need to restore the PLM from backup to restore the Link Table.

I do agree with Stu that, with over 300 devices, you are likely at or over the PLM table limit of 1000.

Good Morning IndyMike: I think the only way I could get a good count would be to disable a lot of programs and make sure no one is home during the test. I have about 19 motion / photo cell detectors that trigger lots of scenes from programs.

I did factory reset the PLM on Friday. I did not do a restore but did re-link all of the motion detectors and wireless remotes. I can see, query and run all of the hardwired devices.

I was concerned that running a restore would basically restore the excess links, a few hundred of which I deleted on Thursday.

No doubt I am approaching or at the limit.

Good Morning IndyMike: I think the only way I could get a good count would be to disable a lot of programs and make sure no one is home during the test. I have about 19 motion / photo cell detectors that trigger lots of scenes from programs.

I did factory reset the PLM on Friday. I did not do a restore but did re-link all of the motion detectors and wireless remotes. I can see, query and run all of the hardwired devices.

I was concerned that running a restore would basically restore the excess links, a few hundred of which I deleted on Thursday.

No doubt I am approaching or at the limit.

Hello GTCJ,

You are correct about disabling the programs.  The following is what I have done to read the link tables:

1) All programs in a folder which I disable with a $Programs_disable variable.  This takes care of scheduled programs and queries.

2) Place the PLM behind 2 - filterlincs to prevent powerline communication from reaching the PLM.  This does not always work.  The filters are not 100% effective in eliminating the powerline signals. 

3) I have removed the antennas from my PLM in an attempt to eliminate RF communication.  Again, not 100% effective.  My reasoning for eliminating the antenna is a bit obscure. Suffice it to say that I do prefer the PLM to operate in powerline only communication mode.

Please note that I am not advocating that anyone perform the above operations.  I am posting this mainly to show how difficult it can be to get a reliable PLM link count.  If you cannot get a consistent link count 3 times (with nothing showing in the event viewer), I would not trust the result.  Not a very useful function for most users.

Since you factor reset your PLM, the ISY knows of the existence of your devices but your PLM does not.  If you go to a Switchlinc and turn it on/off, the PLM will likely not register it's activity.   You will need to restore the PLM before it recognizes communication from these devices.

3) I have removed the antennas from my PLM in an attempt to eliminate RF communication.  Again, not 100% effective.  My reasoning for eliminating the antenna is a bit obscure. Suffice it to say that I do prefer the PLM to operate in powerline only communication mode.

You disassemble the PLM for this?  Always or just for the link count?

Since you factor reset your PLM, the ISY knows of the existence of your devices but your PLM does not.  If you go to a Switchlinc and turn it on/off, the PLM will likely not register it's activity.   You will need to restore the PLM before it recognizes communication from these devices.

Since you started with a concern about poor response, this seems like a critical flaw in the plan given that now the ISY will be oblivious to activity in the network.  Restore should only put valid links in the table.

You disassemble the PLM for this?  Always or just for the link count?

Since you started with a concern about poor response, this seems like a critical flaw in the plan given that now the ISY will be oblivious to activity in the network.  Restore should only put valid links in the table.

Scott,

I do disassemble the PLM and physically remove the antenna.  I did this years back after having a all-on event.  Can't say this was a solution since I made many other changes at the same time.  I have had 1 all on since then.  It was KPL triggered.

I am a bit confused by your second statement.  I was trying to point out to the OP that performing a factory reset would wipe the PLM.  He has a very low link count now because he only added the motion sensors back in.

It sounds like you and I agree that the PLM will ignore traffic that it does not have a link record for.  That was the point that I was trying to make in my post.

Did you mean to address this to the OP?

I am a bit confused by your second statement.  I was trying to point out to the OP that performing a factory reset would wipe the PLM.  He has a very low link count now because he only added the motion sensors back in.

It sounds like you and I agree that the PLM will ignore traffic that it does not have a link record for.  That was the point that I was trying to make in my post.

Did you mean to address this to the OP?

Yes, was quoting your statement for the OP's attention, in that case.  We do agree that he needs to restore or all is for naught, really.

Archived