Wireless relays?

fasttimes

You want something like this:

https://www.itead.cc/inching-self-locking-wifi-wireless-switch.html

And if course you will need to add your own battery and a way to monitor power.

Nice find, but it appears to be WiFi or smartphone controlled, not ISY compatible (unless it's WiFi and codes are supplied plus the need for a network module or other gear such as RasberryPi).

You want something like this:

https://www.itead.cc/inching-self-locking-wifi-wireless-switch.html

And if course you will need to add your own battery and a way to monitor power.

That pulls 80ma in standby.  So, lets say you decide to use 4 AA batteries.  You'll be changing the batteries about every 6 days.

I would be shocked if you can find anything that "listens" on any radio frequency that won't pull too much power ro reasonably run on batteries.  

Maybe you could use rechargables and put a solar panel on it?  I have no idea what your situation details are.

Zwave or Insteon door locks are examples of battery-operated devices that listen and respond to commands, but I agree that there don’t appear to be battery-powered relays for either system. There’s a lot of discussion about building your own on the SmartThings forums, such as this: https://community.smartthings.com/t/zigbee-zwave-control-for-any-battery-powered-device/43429/5

That pulls 80ma in standby. So, lets say you decide to use 4 AA batteries. You'll be changing the batteries about every 6 days.

I would be shocked if you can find anything that "listens" on any radio frequency that won't pull too much power ro reasonably run on batteries.

Maybe you could use rechargables and put a solar panel on it? I have no idea what your situation details are.

And thus the reason I prefaced the message, "something like this."

And thus the reason I prefaced the message, "something like this."

I'm pretty sure their isn't "something like this" that doesn't draw similar power.

The only thing I can think of that is battery powered that is constantly listening are those "tile" devices (and similar).  If you could hack one of those to control the relay, then you would be in buseiness.  Those things have a battery that lasts over a year, and if you used a battery bigger than the little coin battery it would last several years.

I'm pretty sure their isn't "something like this" that doesn't draw similar power.

The only thing I can think of that is battery powered that is constantly listening are those "tile" devices (and similar). If you could hack one of those to control the relay, then you would be in buseiness. Those things have a battery that lasts over a year, and if you used a battery bigger than the little coin battery it would last several years.

Okay. I'm sure you know more.

How about the Ecolink Z-Wave Plus Automated Light Switch (TLS-ZWAVE5)?   It uses 2 AA batteries and flips a standard light switch on or off.   The switch being flipped could just as easily be low-voltage.

71YOlq5r7ZL._SL256_.jpg

Zwave or Insteon door locks are examples of battery-operated devices that listen and respond to commands, but I agree that there don’t appear to be battery-powered relays for either system

Somebody must have taken a Schlage Z-Wave door lock, bolted a roller switch to it so the bolt closes the switch when extended.

How about the Ecolink Z-Wave Plus Automated Light Switch (TLS-ZWAVE5)? It uses 2 AA batteries and flips a standard light switch on or off. The switch being flipped could just as easily be low-voltage.

71YOlq5r7ZL._SL256_.jpg

Somebody must have taken a Schlage Z-Wave door lock, bolted a roller switch to it so the bolt closes the switch when extended.

That's actually a good solution. Add one surface mount box, an easy throw switch and you even have room to add more batteries in parallel so power will last longer.

Great find and great idea.

Archived