Fire Place Help

lurlette

Problem with the three-way switch configuration is that the ISY or voice commands can’t turn the fireplace on or off. All you could hope for was to try both commands (on and off) and one of them would toggle the current state. With the momentary switch hooked to the sensor port, the momentary switch toggles the current state from on to off or off to on, but the ISY commands (or voice commands through the portal) will work as expected.

If I have time tomorrow, I will make a video of my setup and post it. Mine is exactly like yours.

Before you go where you don't need to go...

Where do you intend to plug in the I/O Linc?

Is it possible to run a 4-wire cable from the current switch to the I/O Linc?

Why 4 wires?

Problem with the three-way switch configuration is that the ISY or voice commands can’t turn the fireplace on or off. All you could hope for was to try both commands (on and off) and one of them would toggle the current state. With the momentary switch hooked to the sensor port, the momentary switch toggles the current state from on to off or off to on, but the ISY commands (or voice commands through the portal) will work as expected.

If I have time tomorrow, I will make a video of my setup and post it. Mine is exactly like yours.

The 3-way configuration I proposed will function as 3-way switches do because it is a 3-way configuration. If the wall switch is momentary, then an even easier solution is possible requiring only two wires between the I/O Linc and the wall switch.

ISY control is easy, swap/flip the current state of the I/O Linc the reverse the current state of the fireplace exactly how a 3-way configuration functions. That will allow the OP to control (turn on, turn off) the fireplace from the wall switch or the ISY. OTOH, I agree, voice control is a bit more complex, a smartphone and programs are needed.

Wires have two ends.

Two for control of the fireplace valve and two for hooking a switch to the I/O Linc.

That two wires connect between a switch an the I/O Linc describes both end of one pair. That two control the fireplace valve doesn't.

My fireplace came with an RC remote control and receiver. I disconnected the two wires that went into the receiver and when I manually shorted them the fireplace turned on, and when separating them it turned off. So I plugged in an Insteon 2450 in an outlet near the fireplace and connected that to the two wires using a thin gauge pair of wires taped along the baseboard.

Since I have the ISY portal running.... Hey Google, turn on the fireplace. FWOOOOMFFF! I think the cats are trying to learn how to speak now.

Archived