Scenes Not Populated

DrLumen

What specifically are you trying to accomplish? Adjust Scene is used to change one or more settings on an already created scene, for example, On-Level, based on a particular condition, otherwise run the scene as created. What's the result when you clock on the down arrow?

What specifically are you trying to accomplish? Adjust Scene is used to change one or more settings on an already created scene, for example, On-Level, based on a particular condition, otherwise run the scene as created. What's the result when you clock on the down arrow?

Change the levels of the scene based on time of day or a flag. Like have all the security lights on a scene and have it turn on at sunset to 40% but go to full if there is motion. After x minutes of no motion it would then drop back down to 40%.

When clicking on the drop down, it is blank. FYI, the screen cap is with the drop down expanded but it is blank.

I can do it without using a scene but a single entry would be easier.

----------Edit

I just tried it in 5.0.11b and it is populated in it but it was not what I was thinking it was or expecting...

Like have all the security lights on a scene and have it turn on at sunset to 40% but go to full if there is motion. After x minutes of no motion it would then drop back down to 40%.​

I am not as sure that the approach you are taking is correct.  Unless I am missing something (still very possible) you may require two separate scenes for this.  Both scenes would have the same responder devices, but with different ON levels (40% versus 100%).  Once established, use those scenes and a couple of programs to turn each on at the appropriate times and in response to motion.

Changing the responder levels within a scene will do nothing more than cause that scene to react differently once it is commanded to be on.

DrLumen,

What were you expecting? Based on your description, it seems that it would do precisely what you outlined.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel, This was my bad. Once I upgraded to 11b the scenes populated correctly. Then, when I initially saw they were populating, I must have been looking at a switch that didn't have a dim option or there was a program delay. The only options I had for the device were Command, Default and Ignore. I have since tinkered and was able to get the options that made more sense - like the flyout to set device dim levels. It turned out to just be a pothole in my learning curve...

I am not as sure that the approach you are taking is correct.  Unless I am missing something (still very possible) you may require two separate scenes for this.  Both scenes would have the same responder devices, but with different ON levels (40% versus 100%).  Once established, use those scenes and a couple of programs to turn each on at the appropriate times and in response to motion.

Changing the responder levels within a scene will do nothing more than cause that scene to react differently once it is commanded to be on.

As I'm still learning this, I'm not completely sure if I understand what you are saying. I did find the way to set levels for each device in a scene (a plus but not really needed in this scenario). I also realized that the simple action of setting a master scene level in the program which would work as well.

I should be able to get it to work without the use of a scene. Luckily, it was only 3 devices but if I had tens or hundreds of devices to control then a scene would definitely be needed. I should know once I replace my motion sensors from zigbee to zwave.

As I'm still learning this, I'm not completely sure if I understand what you are saying. I did find the way to set levels for each device in a scene (a plus but not really needed in this scenario). I also realized that the simple action of setting a master scene level in the program which would work as well.

I should be able to get it to work without the use of a scene. Luckily, it was only 3 devices but if I had tens or hundreds of devices to control then a scene would definitely be needed. I should know once I replace my motion sensors from zigbee to zwave.

Your action from post 1 (adjust scene) will do nothing more than set a single controller/responder relationship.  If, for example, you have a motion sensor as controller and switch as responder, the action would change the ON level of the switch from XX% to YY%.  When that happens and the motion sensor triggers the scene, the switch will now go to YY% for a period of time, then turn off.

In order for lights to come on to YY% for a certain period of time, then have motion cause them to go to XX% for a short time during that period, then back to YY%....you would need two scenes in my mind.  One scene would contain all your security lights, with all having responder levels full on.  The second scene would contain all your security lights with responder levels at 40%.  Neither of the scenes need a controller device, so leave the motion sensor out of it.

Then, you would have two programs:

if

time is from some time

to some other time

set '40% scene" to on

else

set '40% scene off

if

control motion sensor is on

and first program is true

then

set '100% scene' on

wait x minutes

set '40% scene' on

else

nothing

If you use the motion sensor as scene controller, then you loose the option to limit response to motion based upon time.  (There are other practical considerations to using motion sensors as scene controllers, including response time (quicker) and maintenance (more painful) but I will skip that discussion at this point.)  During the period of time you want motion response, you will always require BOTH a 100% and 40% level response option from your security lights for response to motion and quiet times, respectively.  

If you have specific questions about other approaches, please ask.  If you had another approach in mind, feel free to offer it.  Perhaps you can come up with a better way that I have not thought about.

Archived