Power Consumption

sbenton9291

Hi all,

Can the ISY monitor current power consumption using various zwave energy monitoring devices. I have a tv that I want the ISY to know if it’s on/off and I’ve concluded this may be one of my best bets.

I ultimately want the ISY to know if someone is still watching TV at night and to delay the goodnight trigger if it knows the tv is still running.

Thanks

Can the ISY monitor current power consumption using various zwave energy monitoring devices. I have a tv that I want the ISY to know if it’s on/off and I’ve concluded this may be one of my best bets.

Yes. Using a Z-Wave device which can report power consumption (without requiring multi-channel) ISY can see the current wattage in use and act on that.   For example, I have a  the ZW075-A02 and I can use the current power usage in a program, see here.

The Insteon alternative would be to use a SynchroLinc (are they still in production?)

I ultimately want the ISY to know if someone is still watching TV at night and to delay the goodnight trigger if it knows the tv is still running.

My TV has an Ethernet port, link is up when the TV is on.  I check if the TV is on the network to decide if somebody is watching.

Archived