"translation" from Alexa to Insteon to ISY -X10

arf1410

I've got a system that is 75% X10, 25% Insteon.  I've got the ISY, and an older Insteon HUB that still handles X10 commands, but does NOT handle Alexa.  I've got purchased a cheap, new HUB (actually, refurbished) that works with ALEXA for free, but this new hub won't communicate with my X10 switches. Lets say, for Example, my Office is an X10 switch.  Is there some way I can give it some sort of "dummy" insteon address, so that when I say "Alexa, turn OFFICE ON"  it sends the dummy insteon Office ON command, which then the ISY "translates" into the X10 office on?

I can create a program within the ISY, but Alexa can't control that, unless I purchase something extra.  ONe can't create a program within the Insteon Hub, I don't think?

I have some unused Insteon wall modules... I can plug one in call it WALL1.  I can say Alexa, turn On Wall1, which the Insteon Hub executes... Meanwhile, I can program the ISY to say if Wall1 is turned on, send an X10 XYZ ON command... but this seems horribly inelegant...

I can create a program within the ISY, but Alexa can't control that, unless I purchase something extra.  ONe can't create a program within the Insteon Hub, I don't think?

Why do you need another hub ? Why not control everything with your ISY ?

Regardless of the path you choose, you will need to pay for something. While the portal is a subcription, it will allow you to achieve what you are trying to do. It is also the most cost effective and easiest path to accomplish that.

Your only other alternatives would be to replace your x10 with Insteon at which point you could use the hub2 (most costly and time consuming). You could also set up Alexa control yourself without using the portal. You would still need to purchase the network module and it is time consuming. You would also need the technical know how to make it work.

I don't mind buying stuff... what I don't like is renting stuff... this subscription model for almost everything in life these days really annoys me...

The thing about the portal subscription is that UDI has recurring costs for renting the server time (as well as ongoing maintenance and enhancement of the Alexa and Google Home skills). It sort of makes sense that the portal be a subscription, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing about the portal subscription is that UDI has recurring costs for renting the server time (as well as ongoing maintenance and enhancement of the Alexa and Google Home skills). It sort of makes sense that the portal be a subscription, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree.  For me it is same as Amazon Prime annual fee.

I also have many (very old) X10 and (older) Insteon units - all are managed by my ISY-994i controller. A few months ago, I decided to buy some Echo devices. In order to make everything work with Alexa, I subscribed to the ISY Portal, modified a few of the programs I had already created with the ISY-994i controller and linked the ISY Portal with my Amazon.ca account - all the lights and devices in my house can now be controlled by voice. Well worth the ISY Portal subscription.

Archived