Experiment with ISY994i

pgesler

I would like to start over and completely redo my ISY994i from scratch.  If I “Backup ISY “ in the Administrative Console can I RESET my ISY and then add the devices to the new system   and then backup what I’ve done and “Restore old ISY” to get back the old system.  Later I would want to restore the new system and work on it some more as I found time.  It would be like a dual boot system in Windows.

Option 2  - I have 2 ISY994i - could I switch back and forth between the 2 ISYs?  

I have 2 ISY's but they do not control the same devices. One controls the house and the other one is used to test new devices. I have backups of all of my devices that I use to make sure that all are compatible with whatever new version firmware comes out. Due to WAF, I dont mess with the house stuff (updates/upgrades)until checked. I went this route because trying to do something and reset the ISY etc. proved to be too time consuming. 

Technically you can accomplish what you are trying to do with a single ISY the way you said. Personally, I would get a second ISY and focus on redoing your system that way as it can cut down on the number of half links you may potentially leave in older devices. 

I like your idea of a second ISY.  I would also like to make sure that a switch is not on both ISYs

Before I move a switch to the clean ISY do I need to RESET the Switch to factory settings?  If not, would the switch have any references to the old ISY that might cause issues?

35 minutes ago, pgesler said:

I like your idea of a second ISY.  I would also like to make sure that a switch is not on both ISYs

Before I move a switch to the clean ISY do I need to RESET the Switch to factory settings?  If not, would the switch have any references to the old ISY that might cause issues?

Always factory reset Insteon devices. It gets rid of any links, X10 installed links, and weird setup memories that the device has gathered over the years. It's fast and easy on most devices.

Archived