isy994i inaccessible

BoxORocks

Assuming that your ISY is neither of the items that say "No" under active; see what's under the ARP menu. My guess is that's where you assign addresses to devices. 

If it lets you , create an entry for the ISY using its Mac Address (if you still have it, or get it from the ISY Portal if you have that) and then add the IP address you believe the ISY should have.  

Aha, yes, I forgot it is in the portal.  I thought it would be on a sticker or something on the ISY but it was not.

But alas, I cannot add anything.  Arrggg.  And it is not listed.  Ends in .44

image.png.1c2bfe06ef3ed6d31e05c1020c0cacad.png

Any chance something is wrong with the ET port that the ISY is plugged in to? I know on my last cable modem one of the ports could be reserved for Comcast a specific use. 

Have you swapped the ISY's cable with one of the others?

Ok, so here's a thought.  I still have my old Netgear router from two routers ago, that had the ISY set up with the static IP of 161.  I should be able to plug my computer and ISY into that and get into the ISY to change to DHCP, shouldn't I?

Assuming that something hasn't gone wrong in the ISY. It seems as if the ISY was still configured with a static IP of 192.168.1.161, it would be showing up in your current router. However, if something has been corrupted on your ISY and the static IP setting has changed, it is going to be hard to access it on any router without factory resetting it. That said, anything is worth a try.

That said, you could even hook your computer up to a crossover cable directly to the ISY and set your computer to have a static IP address (192.168.1.x) and see if you can access the ISY that way.

If you have a smartphone, you could install the free Fing app (https://www.fing.io/).  It will map the network that your phone is connected to and show you information about all the connected devices.  The map it builds is much more complete than most router's "connected devices" screen.

2 hours ago, Goose66 said:

That said, you could even hook your computer up to a crossover cable directly to the ISY and set your computer to have a static IP address (192.168.1.x) and see if you can access the ISY that way.

Are all crossover cables yellow?  There is one on my CPI Security camera server I could borrow.

I think I'll try the 'fing' also.

It's not the color of the cable but the way the ends are wired. Look at the colors of the little wires inside the clear plastic RJ-45 connectors. If the two ends are wired the same, it is a straight cable. If the green/white and white/green pair is swapped with the orange/white and white/orange pair, it is a crossover cable.

11 hours ago, Goose66 said:

It's not the color of the cable but the way the ends are wired. Look at the colors of the little wires inside the clear plastic RJ-45 connectors. If the two ends are wired the same, it is a straight cable. If the green/white and white/green pair is swapped with the orange/white and white/orange pair, it is a crossover cable.

Oh I know they are wired differently.  I was thinking that crossover cables are always yellow to differentiate them from the standard cable.

8 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

Please submit a ticket and we'd be delighted to help you out.

Thanks Michel.  It may be as simple as getting into the ISY using static IP in the old router and and changing the ISY to DHCP, so I'm going to try that first.  If it doesn't work I will submit a ticket.

Thank you!

5 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

Do you have a miniUSB to USB cable? If so, you can connect the Monitor port on the back of ISY to your computer and then use something like putty (115200, 8, 1, None) to connect to ISY's shell. There, you can reset to DHCP using the command CT.

Excellent, thank you.  I should have one in the huge pile of cables that I have.

35 minutes ago, jgcharlotte said:

Oh I know they are wired differently.  I was thinking that crossover cables are always yellow to differentiate them from the standard cable.

I don't think so I have blue, yellow, grey, black, and white straight cables in my setup. The only crossover cables I have are red and yellow and have a sticker on them that say "crossover cable". Without the sticker, I imagine the only way to tell is to look at the wiring of the ends. Of course, as paulbates said, with a fairly modern adapter, it may not even be necessary.

2 minutes ago, Goose66 said:

with a fairly modern adapter, it may not even be necessary.

Gotcha.  It is a gigabit port.  I don't guess it will hurt anything to give it a try.  So just any straight cable and it will sense that it needs to be crossover and switches?

I assume I can disconnect the PLM if I am just going into config settings on the ISY.

2 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

NO, it's not a gigabit port. It's a USB Serial port.

I'm sorry, my comment re gigabit port was referring to paulbates comment that if I have a gigabit port on my computer I don't need a crossover cable to go in via ethernet.  It looks like I have two ways to get in, USB and ethernet.

So if I power up my old router with my computer and ISY connected to it, do a release/renew on the computer to pull an IP from the DHCP server, I should be able to connect to the ISY, correct?  It worked before with the static IP in the ISY.  Then I can change the ISY to DHCP.  I originally set the static IP on the ISY so I would always know where to find out with my phone, but I've been using the portal, which doesn't care.

7 minutes ago, jgcharlotte said:

So if I power up my old router with my computer and ISY connected to it, do a release/renew on the computer to pull an IP from the DHCP server, I should be able to connect to the ISY, correct?  It worked before with the static IP in the ISY.  Then I can change the ISY to DHCP.  I originally set the static IP on the ISY so I would always know where to find out with my phone, but I've been using the portal, which doesn't care.

Assuming something has not gone awry with the network configuration in the ISY, then yes. But it also should have worked with the other router, unless it is actually a different subnet (e.g., you were thinking it was 192.168.1.161 but it is really 192.168.7.161). If the settings in the old router haven't changed, then your computer should pull an IP address from DHCP on the same subnet as the ISY.

So confused. . . .  I was sooo sure the ip was 192.168.1.161.  But when I powered up my old router, it shows up as 0.161, along with the two computers on this switch, which are 1.x.  The gateway of the old router is 162.168.1.1.  snapwerxedit is the computer I am on, snapwerxlaptop is a computer on the same switch,  If I ping 0.161 it says it is 'not unreachable'.  But I can't get on to the ISY with the finder or the UI directly with the browser.  I should be able to, no?  I finally found in my new router where to add a reserved address, but it won't take 0.161, I guess because everything is 1.x.  It will take 1.161, but of course that does me no good.

This is where my limited networking knowledge falls flat.

image.thumb.png.7862721c1da927d9fddb2359a4610bf8.png

Archived