Upgrade previous Alarm System

BigEfromDaBx

I see you posted this in the Elk forum. Elk will work with your ISY seamlessly with the elk module and most likely with your sensors. Issue on the sensors could be EOL resistors if they’re hidden near the sensors rather than installed near the panel or not installed at all. Keypads are a maybe, probably yes with a DBHR if it’s 4 conductors to a keypad although I haven’t used that device/module.

That said the Elk isn’t “inexpensive” compared to lesser panels but in my view it’s worth it. Depends what you want to do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your interested in an Elk system PM me and I will be happy to help. I am an authorized Elk reseller and installer, and have sold and helped many others on this forum. You can most likely remove your current system and replace it with an Elk system with little effort.

How many keypads? If one keypad you can do a total replacement with a DSC PC1832 and an Evisalink EVL-4 Internet/ISY connectivity for about $350. Even less if you reuse box, power supply and battery from your existing system. Just to give you a comparison for ELK. Of course an ELK M1 gold is far more capable, but does have some redundancies with the ISY.

On 6/29/2018 at 9:52 AM, Goose66 said:

How many keypads? If one keypad you can do a total replacement with a DSC PC1832 and an Evisalink EVL-4 Internet/ISY connectivity for about $350. Even less if you reuse box, power supply and battery from your existing system. Just to give you a comparison for ELK. Of course an ELK M1 gold is far more capable, but does have some redundancies with the ISY.

I have only one keypad.  I went into my garage and took a picture of "the brain" i guess I would call it lol.  But I know all the wire sensors are running into it.  Attached is a pic.

IMG_3281.jpg

On 6/28/2018 at 11:33 PM, Goose66 said:

Is that a DSC PC-1550 or PC-1555? If a PC-1555 you can get an Envisalink EVL-4 from EyezON and make it work with the ISY, I believe.

If not, I’m sure the sensors will work with other DSC systems or an ELK M1.

Its a PC1555RKZ.  See snapshot.

IMG_3282.jpg

2 hours ago, Scottmichaelj said:

This is an easy to upgrade device. All the wires are/should be standard 4-wire. Remove the old keypad and brain and install a new panel whatever you want. Door and window sensors can stay and motions too. Easy peasy!

Thanks

6 hours ago, Scottmichaelj said:

This is an easy to upgrade device. All the wires are/should be standard 4-wire. Remove the old keypad and brain and install a new panel whatever you want. Door and window sensors can stay and motions too. Easy peasy!

Can you recommend one?  Keypad and brain?

There’s Elk M1 Gold package that has everything. I personally like the Elk M1KP2 keypads. If you want to use the same enclosure you could get the M1GKS kit.

https://www.elkproducts.com/products/elk-m1gks-m1gold-kit-without-enclosure

There’s other kits too. Depends on what you want to do. I would splurge and get a new battery if you get a new system.

2 minutes ago, Scottmichaelj said:

There’s Elk M1 Gold package that has everything. I personally like the Elk M1KP2 keypads. If you want to use the same enclosure you could get the M1GKS kit.

https://www.elkproducts.com/products/elk-m1gks-m1gold-kit-without-enclosure

There’s other kits too. Depends on what you want to do. I would splurge and get a new battery if you get a new system.

Thanks.

But thats like almost $700

https://www.amazon.com/Elk-ELK-M1GKS-Premium-Control-Profile/dp/B004HN8TRM

On 7/2/2018 at 10:40 AM, io_guy said:

Keypad can stay as-is.  The evl4 plugs into the panel in the garage and ethernet into your network.  Software installed on the pi links evl4 to isy.   

Interesting... So why not just get a evl...... that when I plug into the network it automatically works with the ISY and not have to use a PI?

The evl presents an API that allows 3rd party controllers to interact with DSC and Honeywell alarm controllers. However the ISY does not natively talk to to the evl.

You need a software interface on a pi, like:

• DSC link for ISY V4 firmware.
  • There are 2 interfaces to choose from with ISY V5 software , Nodelink, and one from the Polyglot store. 

The only native alarm interface in the ISY is for the elk... so the choices are

• Time and money to replace the whole system with elk, for the advantage of a native interface
  • Setting up software on the pi and use the lower cost EVL to interface with your system as is. The 3 software items listed are offered free but you can contribute to the authors

Paul

2 hours ago, paulbates said:

The evl presents an API that allows 3rd party controllers to interact with DSC and Honeywell alarm controllers. However the ISY does not natively talk to to the evl.

You need a software interface on a pi, like:

• DSC link for ISY V4 firmware.
  • There are 2 interfaces to choose from with ISY V5 software , Nodelink, and one from the Polyglot store. 

The only native alarm interface in the ISY is for the elk... so the choices are

• Time and money to replace the whole system with elk, for the advantage of a native interface
  • Setting up software on the pi and use the lower cost EVL to interface with your system as is. The 3 software items listed are offered free but you can contribute to the authors

Paul

Thanks.  I will look into it as an option.

On 7/2/2018 at 8:00 AM, io_guy said:

If all you want is cheap ISY integration go buy a $100 EVL4 and a $50 Raspberry Pi.  You can keep your keypad. 

This is what I do using Nodelink but there is now a Polyglot node server in development for this same approach as well.  It's great to be able to use 'door opening/closing' activity on the alarm system to trigger ISY things.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2018 at 12:30 PM, BigEfromDaBx said:

Thanks.  I will look into it as an option.

That's the direction I am going also. I have a DSC 1550 (not EVL4 compatible), so I am bumping it up to a newer DSC 1616 model and adding the EVL4 to it. I really tried to justify the ELK swap out, but I can't find the killer feature that it gives me to justify it.  Thanks for starting this thread and getting the great feedback. Now I know about the Pi option.  I have the controller, EVL4 and keypad for about $150 off ebay. Now to find time to install it. 

Just now, LFMc said:

That's the direction I am going also. I have a DSC 1550 (not EVL4 compatible), so I am bumping it up to a newer DSC 1616 model and adding the EVL4 to it. I really tried to justify the ELK swap out, but I can't find the killer feature that it gives me to justify it.  Thanks for starting this thread and getting the great feedback. Now I know about the Pi option.  I have the controller, EVL4 and keypad for about $150 off ebay. Now to find time to install it. 

Send me some links so that I can take a look.

5 minutes ago, BigEfromDaBx said:

Send me some links so that I can take a look.

Well, if I send you my links for what I bought on ebay, they'll be dead because I bought them. (-;

Just search Ebay for DSC 1616 for the controller and you'll get lots of hits. I got my EVL4 off Amazon.  The 1616 should be a drop in replacement for your 1555. BUT, you will still have to program it.

You might do a bit of research, DSC changed keypads right after my 1550 model, but I don't remember if the 1555 keypads work on the 1616 or not. If they don't, you might need to buy those also. Plus you can get the newer keypads that have displays. It makes it a lot easier to program.  If you go with the 1616 it has a wireless options which I wanted.

Best of luck.

Archived