Guest Mode

MarioLanning

James, 

Have you thought of adding a "Guest Mode" to the app?

We have an Airbnb and the entire unit is on the ISY system. Your app is by far the best out there, however it is geared for techies, but for the average non techie it is overwhelming. Ive had guest get into setting, delete things, you name it.

I would love to see a lockout mode that is simple, has on and off for the things I add to it and no way for them to get into the "advanced mode".

A home screen with icons that we can insert a photo of the room, then the sub menu for the room that lists the items they can turn on and off in that room.

A way to lock the tablet into a kiosk mode state so they cant get into anything else. I've found the dumber down you make it the easier it is for anyone to use.

If you need assistance in a design I have developed GUI interfaces that have been in use for many years and have been very successful.

Mario

This should be standard fare for this type of program (not to mention the Ajax interface for the ISY and ISY login), but unfortunately it isn't. There is another Android ISY compatible program called  "Simple home controller" by Mad Martian. Not as pretty as Agave, but very functional. At one time I thought it had a lock out feature against changing anything, but I don't see it in my latest version.  Also this product does NOT write to the ISY, so you safe with that issue. But, your guest would have to buy it I think (I'm not sure there is a trail period on it). He has a thread on this forum also. Like James and Agave, he's typically open for simple improvements and changes. 

Personally, I would not offer any such access to a guest, especially unknown types you would attract via AirBnB.  Give them a mini-keypad and an instruction list or put the mini-keypad in a table top holder with instructions on it.  Just my opinion to keep it simple. 

If I did this, I would leave a second hand tablet left out, locked down to a TV remote av/ apps and ISY app with a few simple controls,. The tablet account would be force logged in to a "house" account using parental controls and not let the guest login with their credentials at all. This assumes that the ISY app could forced logged into a simplistic user login (house account) with no admin rights and a few simple control screens to page through. Given that parents seem to let their kids play with anything, I would  not include thermostat controls, disarm the alarm... or anything that could potentially go sideways. The tablet would not be intended for general internet.. no browser, no FB, no twitter, no app installation capability, no general guest internet access...Just pick it up and use it as a simple HA interface for the property. Local LAN only access for the ISY app, so if the tablet disappeared,  the google/apple id could be killed and the "house" account for the ISY app deleted.

I have an old android tablet in my family room I use in a similar way. I don't want people "taking it over" to twitter, FB etc. Just comcast and harmony. Agave with guest mode would be the other app that would round it out.

James, thank you.. I wouldn't mind at all if you added it as a in app buy this feature for $29 as well since it is a specialized feature that only people like me would want for a business.

LFMc, I agree on the tabletop, I do have 5 of them around on coffee tables and nightstands. they system has about 20 8 key panels in the light switch areas, but the allure of the ipad control where guests can just use that is big with the luxury home renters. I have 4 ipads scattered around the house, each one tailored to the specific area they are in, and the master one in the master bedroom that can control the entire house.

13 minutes ago, MarioLanning said:

the allure of the ipad control where guests can just use that is big with the luxury home renters

Money talks as they say and that is a nice attraction for your rental.  On the other hand, my cargo trailer/tiny home rental can get by with electric wall switches. ?

Archived