Garage Door Control

raptor

I have this https://www.insteon.com/garage-door-control-kit/ to control/monitor my garage doors. HomeSeer is set to send me an email if the doors stay open for longer than a certain period. Occasional I get an email saying the door is open, when in fact it's closed. The issue is not with HomeSeer because when I check ISY the status shows that the door is open, when it's actually closed. This happens on both doors. One of the devices is a few years old but the second one is less than a year old and has done that from the beginning. I tried to upload a picture of how the sensors are installed but got error 200. The sensors are very close apart. Probably less than 1/8".

I have this https://www.insteon.com/garage-door-control-kit/ to control/monitor my garage doors. HomeSeer is set to send me an email if the doors stay open for longer than a certain period. Occasional I get an email saying the door is open, when in fact it's closed. The issue is not with HomeSeer because when I check ISY the status shows that the door is open, when it's actually closed. This happens on both doors. One of the devices is a few years old but the second one is less than a year old and has done that from the beginning. I tried to upload a picture of how the sensors are installed but got error 200. The sensors are very close apart. Probably less than 1/8".
It sounds like you are missing links between the PLM and the door ioLinc.

You may need to do a factory reset of the ioLincs and the PLM and reinstall them.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Does the little LED indicator on the IOLinc accurately reflect the door status?  (if so, this suggests that the sensors are working)

Do you have the IOLinc plugged into the same outlet as the opener?  (I have long suspected a running opener is very detrimental to insteon communications)

When you query the IOLinc, does the status become accurate?

10 hours ago, oberkc said:

Does the little LED indicator on the IOLinc accurately reflect the door status?  (if so, this suggests that the sensors are working)

Do you have the IOLinc plugged into the same outlet as the opener?  (I have long suspected a running opener is very detrimental to insteon communications)

Never checked. And since this only happens every 2-3 weeks I will have to wait until it happens again to check.

Yes the IOLinc is in the same outlet as the opener.

8 hours ago, paulbates said:

Are you using the ‘Trigger Reverse’ setting in the ISY options for the iolincs? That can cause a false trigger when queried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what you mean by this. If it's not set by default I'm going to say no.

24 minutes ago, raptor said:

Yes the IOLinc is in the same outlet as the opener.

One thing you may try is to temporarily plug the IOLinc into a different outlet (use an extension cord if needed).  If that solves the problem, a filterlinc may be a permanent solution.  

If, when it happens again, the LED is correct but the ISY status is not, this would be a good indication of comm problem also.

If you want to try Larryllix' solution, I would perform a "compare" function.  From the device listing, choose "show links" on the IOLinc and then "compare" that with the ISY.  They should match.  If not, try restoring it.

• 1 month later...
On 8/13/2018 at 9:10 PM, oberkc said:

so it happened again today. While the doors was closed ISY was showing it opened. The green status light was on. According to my other door that means sensor are reading correctly. I query the IOLinc and the status updated to correct value. I'm still running IOLinc and opener on same outlet. Unless above points to another issue I can try it. Does it have to be on a complete different circuit or just different outlet? 

30 minutes ago, raptor said:

so it happened again today. While the doors was closed ISY was showing it opened. The green status light was on. According to my other door that means sensor are reading correctly. I query the IOLinc and the status updated to correct value. I'm still running IOLinc and opener on same outlet. Unless above points to another issue I can try it. Does it have to be on a complete different circuit or just different outlet? 

I had something similar happen a few years back. The root cause was that my garage is far away from my electrical panel, in terms of wire feet which made insteon signalling iffy. This is important to know for the iolinc as it is single band, the insteon signal only gets to it on the powerline.  If there are powerline issues, and especially if the garage door motor creates powerline noise, this can create intermittent signal problems

Insteon only retries to verify status so many times when the signal doesn't go through- but it eventually gives up after so many tries,  which can leave the device and the ISY (and keypad key lights, etc) out of sync. When you query it directly from the ISY when signalling is ok, it catches up to the right value. This could explain what you are experiencing.

Things to try:

• I solved the problem by placing and access point (now called a range extender) in the garage near the iolinc so that insteon signals traveled there via RF in addition to the powerline. I have not had the problem since. You could test this by temporarily plugging in a lamplinc or on/off module into the iolinc in question and see if that addresses it 

• If you can determine that it is the garage door opener motor creating line noise and interrupting the insteon signal, the garage door opener could be plugged into a filter linc. But its not clear that this is the problem, it could be something else.

Paul

6 hours ago, raptor said:

If the door is closed and the sensor is "on", do you interpret "on" as "closed" or as "open".  Make sure you have your setup and understanding correct.  Most, it seems, think of "on" as open.  

If a query changes things, this points to two possibilities in my mind: bad communications, or trigger reverse set.  If it is not the latter, and there is no confusion about the meaning of sensor on/off = open/closed, then I would head down the path of comm problems.  The suggestions by paulbates are the same as I would have given.

To answer your specific question, I suggest putting the IOLinc and opener on separate CIRCUIT as a troubleshooting method.  If that solves the problem, then I would consider that pretty conclusive.

On 9/14/2018 at 8:22 PM, oberkc said:

If the door is closed and the sensor is "on", do you interpret "on" as "closed" or as "open".  Make sure you have your setup and understanding correct.  Most, it seems, think of "on" as open.  

If a query changes things, this points to two possibilities in my mind: bad communications, or trigger reverse set.  If it is not the latter, and there is no confusion about the meaning of sensor on/off = open/closed, then I would head down the path of comm problems.  The suggestions by paulbates are the same as I would have given.

To answer your specific question, I suggest putting the IOLinc and opener on separate CIRCUIT as a troubleshooting method.  If that solves the problem, then I would consider that pretty conclusive.

I never changed any setting from default and it's always been set as "on" means closed. I assume this is because when sensors are in contact they are "on". Both doors were closed and one door showed as on and one showed as off.  Once i did a query the one that showed as "off" became "on" as it should.

I don't think the distance is an issue. The garage is shares a wall with my electrical room and there is probably 25 feet from panel to outlets.

I'll have to check and hopefully all the outlets in the garage are not on the same circuit and I'll move the IOLinc to a new outlet and hope this fixes the issue.

Archived