Had to ReSync Amazon Too

apostolakisl

2 hours ago, apostolakisl said:

I added an AV device to my Alexa without any errors in the process.  But it didn't work.  I finally unlinked then relinked it and now it works.

Had you try to "discover" devices?

When you add spoken on ISY Portal, they need to be discovered by Alexa. The easiest is to ask "Alexa, discover my devices".

Benoit

Just now, apostolakisl said:

I have toggled the live update, I have gone in and "forgotten" the AV device and re-discovered.

Live update is a different thing. All it does is open a permanent subscription with the ISY and sends device states to Amazon. It only sends the state for which there is a spoken.

When a new spoken is created, it needs to be discovered.

Just now, bmercier said:

Live update is a different thing. All it does is open a permanent subscription with the ISY and sends device states to Amazon. It only sends the state for which there is a spoken.

When a new spoken is created, it needs to be discovered.

OK, but I still did "forget" and discover, the device is there on the alexa app.

1 minute ago, bmercier said:

That's the correct thing to do. The forger is optional. At first, you said you had unlinked and relinked, which you don't have to.

I kind of realized that after I unlinked the device and realized you had to do the discover.

But still, nothing on input selection.  I have changed the volume and turned it on/off, but no input.  Alexa says stuff like that device can't do that or hmmmm . . . 

8 minutes ago, apostolakisl said:

The device is there and other features work.  

I am trying things like

"alexa set input to satellite on device"

and

"alexa set device input to satellite"

I'm feeling like that SNL skit here.

Suggestions:

Try "Alexa, change input to <input> on <device>". This one is known to work.

Try different input name. game works. Alexa can be picky on the input names, and it has to exactly match one of the inputs.

Look at the history. Make sure she understood the input name like you intended.

Benoit

Just now, apostolakisl said:

Ive tried hovering over every different thing there is and I don't get any dialogue boxes.  Using Chrome.

I'm also using Chrome, and this should work for most browsers.

To be more specific, when you have the A/V Dialog open,  let's say on the input tab, hovering over "Input 1" should show you a tooltip (A small popup) with a sample wording.

Benoit

Just now, bmercier said:

I'm also using Chrome, and this should work for most browsers.

To be more specific, when you have the A/V Dialog open,  let's say on the input tab, hovering over "Input 1" should show you a tooltip (A small popup) with a sample wording.

Benoit

OK, I see where to hover now.  

Still, should put the language in the wiki.  This stinkin language is quite specific and so hard to remember.  Seriously, it is like the SNL skit where the old people keep yelling crap at their alexa.

The wiki doesn't point out that for every change you make to your echo configuration on the portal, you have to "discover devices" from the echo.  For someone like me who has already configured the Google home and used the update button on the portal, this is not at all intuitive.  The "live update" button would seem to be declaring itself as updating echo as you make changes, when in fact it is not.  The wiki only says this about that button:

Proactive State Update

• This will require the live update to be active. When you go to your Amazon Echo device list, make sure to enable the Live Update -- NOTE: This may not be working properly at this time

I'm not even sure what the above means or if it is currently working or not.  And if it needs to be on, why do we even have the option of turning it off?

IN SUMMARY:

1) Wiki needs to document language for using inputs on AV

2) Wiki needs to explain what the live update button is for in more clear terms.  I don't know why echo needs to receive status updates from my devices.  Does that mean if I manually turn a light on, echo knows it?

3) Wiki needs to point out that for any and all changes to your echo configuration in the portal, you need to "discover devices", even if you haven't added any devices.

Archived