ISY Program for IR Control with Insteon Thermostat

Randy S

Read this thread and it's close to what I'm looking for, but not quite... 

I want to have two buttons on a URC IR/RF remote for "Occupied" vs. "Unoccupied" using Mode Status to determine Heat/Cool and associated different Setpoints.   Is there a better way to go about that or are these two program good to go?

Program 1:
      If IR 'Command-1' is Pressed (Occupied)
         AND
          Status 'HT_Thermostat' is Mode Heat
      THEN
         Set 'HT_Thermostat' 70° (Heat Setpoint)
      ELSE
         Set 'HT_Thermostat' 74° (Cool Setpoint)

Program 2:
      If IR 'Command-2' is Pressed (Unoccupied)
         AND
      THEN
         Set 'HT_Thermostat' 66° (Heat Setpoint)
      ELSE
         Set 'HT_Thermostat' 78° (Cool Setpoint)

I want to have two buttons on a URC IR/RF remote for "Occupied" vs. "Unoccupied" using Mode Status to determine Heat/Cool and associated different Setpoints.   Is there a better way to go about that or are these two program good to go?
Program 1:
         AND
      THEN
      ELSE
Program 2:
         AND
      THEN
      ELSE
Those look reasonable. You could also save a button on your remote if it mattered by doing short press / long press.

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

Program 1:
         AND
      THEN
      ELSE
Program 2:
         AND
      THEN
      ELSE

Hard to answer this question without knowing your overall goals. What room is this? Will the buttons be consistently used when entering and exiting the room? What if the IR signal isn’t received? I suspect you’ll get odd behaviors with your ELSE statements but not sure. Are the stats set to auto mode? If that’s the intent maybe add a line to put them in auto mode in case someone changed the thermostat manually? Why change heat and cool set points? What climate are you in? Would you want another program to assume the room is unoccupied at certain times and change the set points?

Knowing more about the situation and your goals would help garner advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the feedback.  They appear to be working as I expected, but my ISY programming is in its infancy, so it seems healthy to ask for other ideas/options.  :-)   That's food for thought on the short vs. long press; I'm using some programs from the Wiki that make a single button super flexible.

It's a media room that gets occasional use (movies, sports).  The goal is simplicity of use for others.  A pair of buttons that set the temp to an "efficiency" vs. "comfort" setpoint whether in Summer (A/C) or Winter (Heat) make it easy for others to use.  Press the same button to make the room comfortable whether you're looking for A/C or Heat.

The programs are integrated into "Movie Watch" and "Movie Over" macros that turn on AV gear, lights, etc. or they can be triggered separately from individual remote buttons. 

No problems with IR issues as the remote is RF to a base station that has IR emitters attached to each device, including the ISY994i.

I used a motion sensor and had it set a variable for different windows of time.  The variable is "occupied" and it resets to 0 at 8:15 am, but you could do the same thing and wait three hours and set back to 0 after the sensor triggers it to 1.

This has worked very well for my home with a dual zone a/c system.  If the variable remains zero for 24 hours a second variable "vacation" is triggered and I go to an even larger spread in the temps.

If Occupied = 0, then set Temp AWAY and Set Vacation = Vacation + 1

If Vacation >1 then set Temp Vacation.

If Occupied = 1 and time is 6am to 9 pm then set Temp Home Day

If Occupied = 1 and time is 9pm to 6 am or "All Off" received then set Temp Home Night.

All of this has worked great for years, and I also have a flex alert set to turn both AC zones off when the alert is active.

Sadly,  I outsmarted myself trying to use trigger linc's if someone opens a window to shut of the zone.  The trigger linc's quit working and I am on my second PLM  Quality control is the pits but that is for another thread!  

Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 10.40.20 PM.png

Thanks.  I've been thinking about using a motion sensor, but haven't quite worked out how to minimize brief (in and out) room use.  Are you using any clever logic in use to set the Vacation temperature spread (Setpoint)  in Winter vs. Summer?  When/how are you using the flex alert?

21 minutes ago, Randy S said:

Thanks.  I've been thinking about using a motion sensor, but haven't quite worked out how to minimize brief (in and out) room use.  Are you using any clever logic in use to set the Vacation temperature spread (Setpoint)  in Winter vs. Summer?  When/how are you using the flex alert?

You can put a "wait xx minutes" as the first line of the program. If the motion detector switches back off in that time (or however your detecting occupancy), the program ends on its own with no action taken. You can adjust the wait in the program over time based on observing on how people use the space and report back ("Why did thermostat go down", etc)... 

Paul

Archived