Ring doorbell to ISY using Alexa routine

bmercier

Today I noticed that you can use a ring doorbell to trigger a routine. So, you could do simple things such as to have Alexa announce that there is someone at the door. But, you could do more complex things such as simulate presence by "turning on" a program.

To do so, go to the Alexa App under Routine.

Select "When this happens"

Select Device

Choose your Ring device

Choose either "motion" or "Doorbell", Save

Click Add action

From there, you can have Alexa say something, or choose Smart Home and select one of your device to turn on (or program exposed as a device) to do something on ISY.

Benoit

• 4 weeks later...
Hi guys,
We should have an announcement within couple of weeks. Currently testing Ecobee, SolarEdge, and very soon Nest. Everything is working perfectly!
Any of you interested in developing a node server for Ring?
With kind regards,
Michel

I wish I knew Python......
On 11/2/2018 at 10:35 AM, Michel Kohanim said:

Hi guys,

We should have an announcement within couple of weeks. Currently testing Ecobee, SolarEdge, and very soon Nest. Everything is working perfectly!

Any of you interested in developing a node server for Ring?

With kind regards,

Michel

Learning Python is on my post-retirement bucket list which a couple of years off.

• 1 month later...

I received a Ring security system for Christmas (wouldn't have asked for it).  The complete lack of integration between the Security and Doorbell products is astounding.  They use the same app on my phone, but in the most awkward way possible.  I've had the doorbell a couple if years and I like it.  The security system, I'm not sold on yet.

Apparently Ring doesn't publish their API, except to their "Partners". I have seen that there are some python libraries for Ring products, this one looks like it might be good as a starting point for a Polyglot NS, but no security system support from what I can tell (beyond basic hardware health). There is a Node.js API (the guy put it together after getting blown off by Ring on twitter)  that seems well put together.  And seems like there's a chance it will work with the security systems.  Apparently the API's for the doorbell products and the security systems are a bit different.  Best I can tell, the doorbells use rest and the Security system is primarily web sockets. 

This is all pretty far out of reach for myself.  I'm learning as I go, but I'm a long way from putting all that together.  But, I'd be a tester! ?

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2019 at 9:11 PM, builderb said:

Apparently Ring has been letting their Ukrainian AI team access customer videos with little oversight or control. Yikes.

That’s why I refuse to use a cloud recording service for anything other than the front door and that’s mainly because of the doorbell integration.  When I eventually replace my analog NVR I fully intend to replace my front door camera with an IP camera that will also be recording 24hr/day locally and only instant screenshots be sent to/by Ring as a “worst” case scenario backup.

I bought and tested but haven’t fully installed a Uniden U-bell. Looked good in testing though. It’s a hikvision rebrand and can record to most DVRs using onvif. Bought 2 pretty cheap at brand smart. Will install soon. You can use the hikvision app which is better than the uniden app... I’d suggest looking into it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, TrojanHorse said:

I bought and tested but haven’t fully installed a Uniden U-bell. Looked good in testing though. It’s a hikvision rebrand and can record to most DVRs using onvif. Bought 2 pretty cheap at brand smart. Will install soon. You can use the hikvision app which is better than the uniden app... I’d suggest looking into it

The Uniden U-bell looks very interesting. I ordered 1 too. I'm very interested in your experience. Perhaps start a new thread?

The Uniden U-bell looks very interesting. I ordered 1 too. I'm very interested in your experience. Perhaps start a new thread?

I’ll start another thread. Not much to add yet except that setup worked much better for me with the hikvision app not the uniden app. There are a couple other apps that work too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived