Open/close status after reboot

frank

How do I handle a situation when the controller ( 994i) is rebooted and a remote (limited access) open/close sensor remains stationary, in last known state? Unless the door is either opened or closed the 994i shows a blank status and won’t indicate an on or off until the next time the door is opened or closed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. In the admin console, create a state variable

2. Create a program

If sensor=detected
then variable=1
else variable=0

3. Create Alexa spoken using the state variable you created. Expose it as a sensor, with a motion detected value of 1.

The idea is that your state variable will follow the state of your sensor, except that the state will be persistent.

Benoit

Variables can be initialized to a value that is saved in NVRAM and survives reboot. This can be done manually in admin console,. but also with programs.

To add to Benoit's program:

If 
    sensor=detected
then 
    variable=1
    variable init to 1
else 
    variable=0
    variable init to 0

That assumes a change doesn't take place during reboot. For me, reboots are as short as they are rare... either I updated firmware... or a power outage

Paul

15 minutes ago, paulbates said:

Variables can be initialized to a value that is saved in NVRAM and survives reboot. This can be done manually in admin console,. but also with programs.

To add to Benoit's program:

If 
    sensor=detected
then 
    variable=1
    variable init to 1
else 
    variable=0
    variable init to 0

That assumes a change doesn't take place during reboot. For me, reboots are as short as they are rare... either I updated firmware... or a power outage

Paul

Good point, I had forgotten to set init too.

Benoit

Thanks Benoit and Paul. Am I correct in that I would substitute the variable in place of my previous “ if door sensor is on” statement? Is there a way to monitor in MobiLinc dashboard the state of the variable and possibly show this as either “on” or “off” rather than just a “1” or “0”?

50 minutes ago, frank said:

Thanks Benoit and Paul. Am I correct in that I would substitute the variable in place of my previous “ if door sensor is on” statement? Is there a way to monitor in MobiLinc dashboard the state of the variable and possibly show this as either “on” or “off” rather than just a “1” or “0”?

I think you can just use the idealized program above, it that's what you're asking. It depends how many additional statements your program has. If its simply notification, as listed above, then use the updated program and you track the variable instead of the sensor.

I don't have mobilinc so I can't help there. 

Paul

No, its a limitation of insteon wireless sensors. The only way the query button in the admin console works with wireless sensors is when you press the set button on the device.

This lack of "supervisory" type capability is why insteon wireless sensors are not a good choice for creating security / alarm systems. The controller (ISY) can not directly query the sensor or reset it. They do send daily notices they're alive, either heartbeat, or sunrise/sunset for motion sensors, which makes them good for general automation.

Paul, what would be a better sensor that has a way to add an additional contact such as the Insteon sensor? If no way to add a aux contact I could clip the reed contact and add wires. I also have the zwave board in my 994i.

Paul, what would be a better sensor that has a way to add an additional contact such as the Insteon sensor? If no way to add a aux contact I could clip the reed contact and add wires. I also have the zwave board in my 994i.

I have a formal alarm system for security that can inform the ISY of basic home/away/alerts. I don’t get individual sensor status. I’ve had good luck with an iolinc on my garage door for 7 years... it’s big and clunky though.. not wireless.

If wireless is needed and you can use z-wave, hopefully other community members can chime in on wireless sensor options that meet what your requirements. You will want to establish a z-wave grid for your house for good sensor comms.

Paul

Archived