multiple databases

carranoelectric

Is it possible to bring my laptop and ISY to all my jobs and upload all the devices into separate databases on my laptop for maintenace purposes? I am trying to figure out how to separate the jobs. Do I use file management? Also question 2, Is there a way to plug the ISY directly into my laptop and skip the router for jobs that have no internet service or router.

Hi carranoelectric

Is it possible to bring my laptop and ISY to all my jobs and upload all the devices into separate databases on my laptop for maintenace purposes? I am trying to figure out how to separate the jobs. Do I use file management?

Yes, you can use one ISY to configure each and everyone of your jobs. Here's the procedure (assuming that you are starting fresh):

A. Configuration Step

1. Configure your client's lighting using ISY

2. File->Backup ISY ... save it using your customer's name. This is your customers configuration

3. File->Remove Modem if and only if you want to take the PLM with you. I recommend leaving the PLM with the customer mostly because of the time it takes to "Restore" it in case you'd have to go back

B. Clean Up

When you are done with the job:

1. If you are going to take the PLM with you, then do a Factory Reset on the PLM

2. Do a Factory Reset on ISY (please consult the Advanced Configuration Guide: http://www.universal-devices.com/resources.htm

C. Next Job

If you have already done step B (clean up), then simply start with step A. Otherwise, make sure you do a clean up before proceeding with step A.

D. Modifications to an Existing Job

1. Make sure you have already done step B

2. Find the customers backup file which you saved in Step A2

3. File->Restore ISY

4. If you have left the PLM with your customer, then no other action is necessary. Otherwise, File->Restore Modem (PLM). This may take between 2 minutes to 30 minutes. That's why I do recommand leaving the PLM with the customer

5. After you've done your modifications, make sure to do another File->Backup ISY so that you have the latest configuration for the customer

6. If you want to Remove the PLM, then issue File->Remove Modem

That's about it.

Also question 2, Is there a way to plug the ISY directly into my laptop and skip the router for jobs that have no internet service or router.

Yes, there is but I really don't think it's worth your time. Anyway, here are the steps:

1. Configure your computer with a static IP address

2. Configure ISY with a static IP address (please consult Advanced Configuration Guide http://www.universal-devices.com/resources.htm). Make sure both the computer and ISY are on the same subnet and IP range (usually 192.168.1.xx and subnet 255.255.255.0)

3. Connect your ISY to your Computer using a Cross-Over Ethernet Cable

Please note:

If your computer was using DHCP before, then you would have to revert back to DHCP or might run the risk of not being able to access any network resources (internet/network printers/etc.) after Step 1.

With kind regards,

Michel

Archived