All Battery/Wireless Devices Stopped Working Simultaneously

BrianWJ

Rock solid system running for about 3 years.  A few days ago all wireless/battery devices lost all connectivity with the system.  Tried the usual reboots, battery replacements, and charging.  No change. Tried factory resetting a few of the devices and using the 'Restore device' option.  All attempts reported restore not possible because the device was not responding (devices were in pair mode). 

Decided it might be a failing PLM, already had a new one on hand, followed forum instructions to replace, which was successful for all hard-wired or plugged in devices, but wireless devices are all behaving exactly as before.  

Example, placing mini remote 3E.FB.BE into link mode and attempting to Write Updates to Device:

Sat 10/27/2018 04:06:04 PM : [INST-TX-I1 ] 02 62 3E FB BE 0F 0D 00

Sat 10/27/2018 04:06:04 PM : [INST-ACK ] 02 62 3E.FB.BE 0F 0D 00 06 (00)

Sat 10/27/2018 04:06:13 PM : [INST-TX-I1 ] 02 62 3E FB BE 0F 0D 00

Sat 10/27/2018 04:06:13 PM : [INST-ACK ] 02 62 3E.FB.BE 0F 0D 00 06 (00)

Sat 10/27/2018 04:06:22 PM : [INST-TX-I1 ] 02 62 3E FB BE 0F 0D 00

Sat 10/27/2018 04:06:22 PM : [INST-ACK ] 02 62 3E.FB.BE 0F 0D 00 06 (00)

Updates do not write.  Same behavior for all wireless devices. Anybody seen anything like this before or have any advice?

ISY994i v4.7.3

~ 20 Various SwitchLincs

8 LampLincs

5 Motion Sensors (all 2842-222)

4 Mini Remotes (all 2342-2)

PLM 2413S V2.2

Alexa Integration

Your log information you posted shows the Mini Remote is not responding as you suspected.

Did you wake up the Mini Remote before trying to write to it. As battery devices go into power saving mode to preserve batteries.

22 minutes ago, Brian H said:

Your log information you posted shows the Mini Remote is not responding as you suspected.

Did you wake up the Mini Remote before trying to write to it. As battery devices go into power saving mode to preserve batteries.

Yes, i put each device I tried into pairing mode, and none of them respond.

Ok, I was suspecting a dead PLM, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Another possibility is that something happened to a dual band device that's on the path to the PLM.

Let's start with the PLM. You mentioned doing reboots, etc. Did you restart the PLM or factory reset it. 

For the reboot....

• Unplug the ISY and PLM
  • wait a minute
  • Plug the PLM back in
  • wait 10 seconds
  • plug the ISY back in

Do rf devices work after the ISY is restarted?

Paul

1 minute ago, paulbates said:

Ok, I was suspecting a dead PLM, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Another possibility is that something happened to a dual band device that's on the path to the PLM.

Let's start with the PLM. You mentioned doing reboots, etc. Did you restart the PLM or factory reset it. 

For the reboot....

• Unplug the ISY and PLM
  • wait a minute
  • Plug the PLM back in
  • wait 10 seconds
  • plug the ISY back in

Do rf devices work after the ISY is restarted?

Paul

Paul,

First, thank you for taking the time to help me with this, it is much appreciated!

I have both restarted and factory reset the PLM.  Most recently, I did the following (with my new replacement PLM):

1. Restore ISY to a backup when the system was working normally
  2. Unplug the ISY from the wall
  3. Unplug the PLM from the wall
  4. Unplug the PLM from the ISY
  5. Wait 5 minutes
  6. Factory reset the PLM (hold button while plugging in, keep holding until red light turns green and sound stops)
  7. Wait a minute or two
  8. Connect the ISY to the PLM
  9. Power up the ISY
  10. Launch admin console and run Restore Modem (PLM) from File menu
  11. It took about 20 minutes, all the hard-wired devices 'beeped' as they were being rewritten
  12. All hardwired/plugged in devices work exactly as expected (I can control them from admin console, switches perform actions as expected, Alexa integration works normally)
  13. All of the wireless devices have the grey '1011' symbol next to them
  14. Putting any of the devices into linking mode (ie green light blinking on mini remote, or red light blinking on MS) and right clicking the device and choosing 'Write Updates to Device' results in the errors/non-communication previously described.

I should also note I have tried this with the devices 1-2 feet from the PLM as well as from my normal workspace in the house (which is surrounded by dual-band devices).

8 minutes ago, paulbates said:

Brian ok

Can you take one wireless device,

• factory reset it
  • find it on the device tree, right click it
  • Pick Restore device?

Paul

Paul,

I factory reset a 2342-2 mini remote (turned off power switch, held down button while turning power switch back on, continued holding button until beep stopped, and heard the two-beep confirmation).  

The remote is in pairing mode and, and communications are being  attempted, but here are the results (and this is the same with all of the devices I have tried this with, both MS and MRs).

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 7.15.13 PM.png

Have you recently introduced into the house any RF devices that might be interfering with the communication between your wireless devices and your dual band devices?  Or perhaps one of your dual band devices is misbehaving and interfering with the communication between the wireless devices and other dual band devices?  Or maybe one of the wireless devices is misbehaving.  Have you tried taking the batteries out of all the wireless devices except one, and then try communicating with the one?

5 minutes ago, kclenden said:

Have you recently introduced into the house any RF devices that might be interfering with the communication between your wireless devices and your dual band devices?  Or perhaps one of your dual band devices is misbehaving and interfering with the communication between the wireless devices and other dual band devices?  Or maybe one of the wireless devices is misbehaving.  Have you tried taking the batteries out of all the wireless devices except one, and then try communicating with the one?

kclenden,

No new items in the house in a few months.  I have thought about air-gapping all the SL's and unplugging all the LL's and seeing if I could successfully communicate with a wireless device.  Great tip to power down all the other wireless devices for the test as well.  I will post the results of the test.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

This appears to have happened to me as well.  Added 6 Leak Sensors and 1 Motion Sensor II about 2 weeks ago.  Everything linked fine and all devices were working as expected.  As of late last night, none of these device signals are showing up in the system.  The devices appear to be sending a signal.  The motion sensor lights up as well as the Leak Sensors when placed in water.  None of this activity is showing up in the ISY.  I reset the PLM and the ISY; no change.  All of these devices were working; heartbeat, etc., but now nothing.  This is my first experience with wireless Insteon.  All other devices are wired.  Did UDI provide any guidance on this?  I'm running 5.0.14.

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, mbking said:

This appears to have happened to me as well.  Added 6 Leak Sensors and 1 Motion Sensor II about 2 weeks ago.  Everything linked fine and all devices were working as expected.  As of late last night, none of these device signals are showing up in the system.  The devices appear to be sending a signal.  The motion sensor lights up as well as the Leak Sensors when placed in water.  None of this activity is showing up in the ISY.  I reset the PLM and the ISY; no change.  All of these devices were working; heartbeat, etc., but now nothing.  This is my first experience with wireless Insteon.  All other devices are wired.  Did UDI provide any guidance on this?  I'm running 5.0.14.

Thanks!

What are your "write to devices" and "write to battery devices" options set to, in the admin console?
Have you created any device update programs in ISY?

larryllix,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I have not been able to find those settings in the admin console.  Where are they?  I guess I'm showing my novice position when it comes to the wireless devices.

mbking

If you don't have a PRO version. Those two options are not available.

In the File drop down menu and two small icons on the Top of the screen. One is a Green circle with 1010 in it and the other one is a small graphic looking like a battery.

9 minutes ago, Brian H said:

If you don't have a PRO version. Those two options are not available.

In the File drop down menu and two small icons on the Top of the screen. One is a Green circle with 1010 in it and the other one is a small graphic looking like a battery.

Brian,

Thanks for clarifying that.  No, I don't have a Pro version.  

Have done more digging into this.  Looks like I have 0 links in the PLM.  I installed a new PLM (2413S V2.4) about 6 weeks ago replacing my very old but still working 2412S, so it's very new.  Wanted the faster response and dual-band capabilities of the 2413S.  The wired device links look OK as well as the ISY links.  Haven't tried the wireless devices yet.  It's looking like the PLM has failed in some fashion although everything but wireless is working OK.  Unless someone has a better approach, I think I'll need to reset the PLM and try to restore it or get it replaced.

The PRO versions have more Scene/Devices and Programs size.

So if your system out grows the smaller sizes. You can purchase the PRO module added to your system in the Purchase Modules tab. It is a firmware  thing UDI does remotely.

• 8 months later...

I know this is an older thread but I just experienced the same issue. I replaced my PLM to try to get X10 commands, which failed suddenly and stayed failed, to be read by the ISY. Replacing the PLM did not resolve this. When everything came back up after multiple restores to the new PLM (after factory reset on PLM) and multiple reboots both ISY and PLM, PLM first then ISY, all my wireless devices went/stayed offline. To add in the mix I also had to replace a defective lamplinc, which went reasonably well. 

So I after reviewing this thread I tried to add another motion sensor (which I had on hand) which I was able to do, with difficulty but apparent success. I then replaced one of the two non-working motion sensors with the newly added one, in the admin console device tree, and it seems to be working with the new motion sensor. Now I was able to re-add the original motion sensor, under a different name and after factory reset, and got it working as well. In addition I have about one or two wired devices, one is a keypad linc, that is not responding well also. I don't believe I got hit with any power spikes etc. Everything was working well for years, just like Brian H's situation, and then the X10 commands stopped working and in trying to fix that I dug myself into a deep hole. However, unlike an original poster in another thread, adding the new motion sensor did not bring the others back to life. So it looks like I have to add a new (or at least a factory reset) device to match a non-communicating device, under a different name though, for each device that is not communicating. This will be a long process, one more motion sensor, three door sensors and the keypad linc. I am at the latest 4.xx revision on this Non-Pro ISY. And still no X10 communications.

So I would like to know if anyone has a simpler answer to this and or what the solution was, if any, to this.

Thanks,

Archived