Can't add Insteon 2472d dimmer outlet

Have tried adding a new Insteon 2472d Dimmer Outlet multiple times and keep getting "Cannot determine Insteon engine" error.  Tried with current 4.x firmware and after reading somewhere in the forums about the newer beta working, I upgraded to 5.0.14 and still get the same error trying to add this device.  I get the same error with a siren, but it was already in the system when I migrated to the ISY so it works with previous configurations.

I have tried both methods, multiple times. Linking mode would go through and attempt to link my  window and door sensors but my siren would not add either.  Since it was already configured properly I left that alone.  However I did mistakenly link the outlet with the siren while trying to set them both to linking mode during one of my Start Linking attempts that failed.

I had read a couple of weeks ago that people had been having success adding the sirens with the new beta firmware, so this morning, on a whim, I decided to try and add the siren and was able to add it.  The outlet, being manually linked to the siren, was also added at this time. I am completely ignorant of why this process worked while manually adding the device would not, I had just assumed it was a result of using the Insteon hub to create all these scenes and links.  When I migrated to the ISY I did not remove existing links as I did not want to have to redo everything since I have many switches, keypads, fanlinc's, sensors, and remotes.

The painful part is waiting out the linking of 12 window / door sensors while I removed the outlet from the new scene it created for the outlet and the siren.  The ISY still writes changes to each sensor associated with the siren, even though I have removed the outlet from the scene that had been created then deleted that scene.  When I renamed the outlet, after it should have had no remaining links to the siren and sensors, it still made changes to every device associated with the siren.

14 hours ago, taxxin said:

Have tried adding a new Insteon 2472d Dimmer Outlet multiple times and keep getting "Cannot determine Insteon engine" error.  Tried with current 4.x firmware and after reading somewhere in the forums about the newer beta working, I upgraded to 5.0.14 and still get the same error trying to add this device.  I get the same error with a siren, but it was already in the system when I migrated to the ISY so it works with previous configurations.

Take a look at this ISY troubleshooting video  regarding " Cannot determine Insteon Engine"..

All devices must be linked to the ISY, one at a time. If you put two or more devices in the linking mode at the same time their link tables can become cross linked. In that case the ISY cannot accurately determine their state. Any devices that you think are cross linked should be deleted from the ISY, factory reset, then linked, one at a time back to the ISY.

13 hours ago, taxxin said:

I have tried both methods, multiple times. Linking mode would go through and attempt to link my  window and door sensors but my siren would not add either.  Since it was already configured properly I left that alone.  However I did mistakenly link the outlet with the siren while trying to set them both to linking mode during one of my Start Linking attempts that failed.

I had read a couple of weeks ago that people had been having success adding the sirens with the new beta firmware, so this morning, on a whim, I decided to try and add the siren and was able to add it.  The outlet, being manually linked to the siren, was also added at this time. I am completely ignorant of why this process worked while manually adding the device would not, I had just assumed it was a result of using the Insteon hub to create all these scenes and links.  When I migrated to the ISY I did not remove existing links as I did not want to have to redo everything since I have many switches, keypads, fanlinc's, sensors, and remotes.

The painful part is waiting out the linking of 12 window / door sensors while I removed the outlet from the new scene it created for the outlet and the siren.  The ISY still writes changes to each sensor associated with the siren, even though I have removed the outlet from the scene that had been created then deleted that scene.  When I renamed the outlet, after it should have had no remaining links to the siren and sensors, it still made changes to every device associated with the siren.

You'll spend more time troubleshooting and fixing your system trying to import everything from the hub than you would taking screen shots of your scenes, factory resetting everything, and adding them to the ISY cleanly. To make things easier, I would do 1 room at a time.

Archived