ISY994i cannot link any insteon device

The INST-TX-I1 message to the PLM from the ISY994i and the INST-ACK  reply from the PLM to indicate the command was correct and sent are there. There is no INST-SRX messages back from the switch.

You have a communications issue. Possibly a power line noise or signal absorbed.

Hmmm.... I can't see how it would be absorbed... the PLM is plugged directly into the wall and the switch is a wired switch...  So that means noise, but again why would the HUB have 0 issues and now this combo is suddenly having problems with noise, to the extent that I cannot connect any devices...  Is it possible that assuming I can get something to link, then would the my noise issue get better as each device could potentially act as a repeater?

I can't see how it would be absorbed... the PLM is plugged directly into the wall and the switch is a wired switch...

Those power-conditioning, surge-suppressing power strips are often suspected of harming insteon communications.  It does not necessarily mean noise, rather it could be attenuating the signal at the PLM.

why would the HUB have 0 issues and now this combo is suddenly having problems with noise, to the extent that I cannot connect any devices...

Over the years, I have come to suspect that there is quite the variability between PLMs and between a PLM and a hub.  Don't know if it is intentional or simple manufacturing tolerances.  Remember, too, that you have the additional power supply for the ISY.  It seems that problem devices can be cumulative.  Perhaps that was the last straw.

I know you said you did it before, but maybe it is worth moving the PLM again.  Make sure you get it on a different circuit.  Use a long extension cord if needed.  If the problems go away, then that tends to point to the original location as having problem devices that need filtered.

This can happen with just one link out of the bunch missing for that device. That is usually the result of interference noise. I just replaced my PLM with a lot of powerline noise and what a mistake. I had to do most of them individually again, after I figured out where the noise was coming from. Months of wondering WTH was going on! 

Now I figure the PLM was just fine, and now I am ordering my first Insteon non-device module after four years of Insteon. A new garage door opener with a battery charger got me good!

Too bad you don't have a spare PLM.

9 minutes ago, oberkc said:

Those power-conditioning, surge-suppressing power strips are often suspected of harming insteon communications.  It does not necessarily mean noise, rather it could be attenuating the signal at the PLM.

Over the years, I have come to suspect that there is quite the variability between PLMs and between a PLM and a hub.  Don't know if it is intentional or simple manufacturing tolerances.  Remember, too, that you have the additional power supply for the ISY.  It seems that problem devices can be cumulative.  Perhaps that was the last straw.

I know you said you did it before, but maybe it is worth moving the PLM again.  Make sure you get it on a different circuit.  Use a long extension cord if needed.  If the problems go away, then that tends to point to the original location as having problem devices that need filtered.

IIRC, reading the forum over the years the PLM puts out a much weaker signal than the Hub and other Insteon Tx devices.
This is also very apparent with X10 signals. The distance for good operation is about half.

1 hour ago, larryllix said:

IIRC, reading the forum over the years the PLM puts out a much weaker signal than the Hub and other Insteon Tx devices.
This is also very apparent with X10 signals. The distance for good operation is about half.

So if this is the case is there another device that puts out more power??

and the currently nothing is in a power strip as I have moved it upstairs to continue debugging this.  For the additional money of getting the “kit” with the PLM seems like a total waste if it puts out less power.

53 minutes ago, Frozen001 said:

So if this is the case is there another device that puts out more power??

and the currently nothing is in a power strip as I have moved it upstairs to continue debugging this.  For the additional money of getting the “kit” with the PLM seems like a total waste if it puts out less power.

There is only one unit that works with the ISY.

Plug everything into the main panel service receptacle beside your power distribution box. Do NOT use a power bar.
Make sure the PLM is connected to the serial port, not the Ethernet port. I assume this is correct or you wouldn't be able to access ISY with the admin console.
Make sure the PLM is well booted before powering up ISY so it can read the setup info.

Write an ISY program to output some X10 codes and see if PLM LED flashes while running the program.

Freshly factory reset a simple Insteon plug-in device in the same receptacle. Use a 6 way receptacle splitter without any filtering or power protection. (dollar store stuff)

Do NOT use any linking buttons on the Insteon module or PLM. 
Use admin console to Link to the module using it's Insteon Address on the bottom of the module. Report back what the Admin Console says when you do this.

If that doesn't work then try to get the PLM replaced.

Larryllix has a lot of good ideas above, but if you plugged the PLM into the same outlet that the hub used and you tried linking to three or four devices, and then you have moved the PLM to three or four other outlets throughout the house, and tried to link to three or four different devices located in different rooms, then odds are the PLM isn't actually sending any commands.

The Event Viewer records show that the ISY is talking to the PLM via the serial port.  So the only question is whether the PLM is talking to everything else.  The new PLMs are dual-band so even if you had a powerline noise issue, when you tried linking to a sensor that was right next to it, the PLM should have acted as an Access Point to communicate with the sensor.  Since that didn't work, and none of your other attempts worked, it just seems likely to me that the PLM is defective.

Finally progress.. Plugging in the PLM to a plug right next to the panel box worked, and I can communicate with the devices finally.  Looks like have to run a network cable for the easy fix. I am also getting a range extender to place in another plug, as one of my door sensor cannot be seen now.

So all the battery powered devices I had to manually add via the "Add insteon device"  is this normal?

13 minutes ago, Frozen001 said:

Finally progress.. Plugging in the PLM to a plug right next to the panel box worked, and I can communicate with the devices finally.

Wow!  I'd have bet anything that the PLM was defective.  Glad it's working now, but don't understand why it wouldn't link to an RF device that was right next to it.  The Smarthome marketing blurb suggests that should have worked if the battery operated device was put into the SET mode.

6 minutes ago, kclenden said:

Wow!  I'd have bet anything that the PLM was defective.  Glad it's working now, but don't understand why it wouldn't link to an RF device that was right next to it.  The Smarthome marketing blurb suggests that should have worked if the battery operated device was put into the SET mode.

If the circuit is dirty enough, the lack of good zero crossing can interfere even with RF.

1 hour ago, jec6613 said:

If the circuit is dirty enough, the lack of good zero crossing can interfere even with RF.

Worse yet the Insteon devices can echo and strengthen the noise if looks like an Insteon code as in the "All On/erroneous scene" phenomenon. Now the Insteon receivers are all tied up and normal transmissions will not proceed.

Archived