Link to universal-devices.com breaks

mikewu99

Strange problem when accessing universal-devices.com web pages from computers at home. I can initially access the website, but after following a number of links (to the wiki or to the forum, for example) my computer suddenly cannot resolve universal-devices.com - I get an error saying "This link appears to be broken". This in not just finding a stale link - I cannot even get back to the main web page.

I thought this might be a problem on the particular computer I was using, so I connected through another computer (also on my home network). At the same time that the first computer was saying that www.universal-devices.com appears to be broken the second computer pulled the page up immediately. However, after poking around the web page for a minute the second computer started giving me the same broken link errors.

I am writing this from my computer at work where I have never experienced this problem.

I have been having this problem from home ever since I installed my ISY (I don't know if I tried accessing universal-devices.com from home before I got the ISY).

Both computers at home are running Windows XP with current updates. One is running IE7 and the other is running IE8. They are running different firewall software but the same (corporate) version of Symantec AntiVirus. My ISP is Comcast which I connect to through a Netgear FVS318 router.

Has anyone else reported a similar problem? I couldn't find anything doing a forum search.

Not really an ISY problem but makes it hard to work with my ISY if I can't access the documentation.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the head's up. We are looking into this as it is certainly not correct.

Rand

Just to clarify: this is not a new problem, it happened several weeks ago when I was first setting up my ISY. At the time I thought it might have been a temporary server problem since access was fine from work the next day (I hadn't tried to access again from home until this morning).

Did a little experimenting this morning, here are results in no coherent order:

(1) The problem may be when I try to reach the forum - I was able to poke around the main website and the wiki, but shortly after opening the forum all universal-devices.com becomes unreachable via web browser. I haven't tried this often enough to be scientific, but it seems like the forum webpage triggers the oroblem.

(2) When universal-devices.com is unreachable via IE it still responds to ping from a command prompt, so it is not likely a DNS error.

(3) I downloaded Firefox. If the universal-devices.com is in the unreachable state it is also unreachable from Firefox. However, I haven't been able to go into the unreachable state from Firefox, just from IE.

(4) The only way to reach universal-devices.com after it enters the unreachable state is to wait. Rebooting the PC does not help. I haven't studied the wait time, but rlav's estimate of 10 minutes seems about right.

(5) I also tried rebooting my router - didn't help.

Could this be a Comcast problem?

I guess for now I will try Firefox to access universal-devices.com. I probably won't get a chance to try anything more for at least a week as I am going out of town.

I worked with one of the users experiencing the issue, and here is what I found:

- Site was reachable at first, but after clicking around the site for 10-60 seconds the site becomes unreachable.

- Reboot makes the site accessible again, but again after clicking around the site for 10-60 seconds the site becomes unreachable.

- User had AVGFree and SpyBot S&D installed, but I disabled modules in both and it did not seem to help. I did not completely uninstall, however.

- Problem only occurs when using IE, BUT once the problem occurs in IE the site was not accessible in FireFox either. Customer running IE8 and FireFox 3.0.5.

- If PC is rebooted and ONLY FireFox is used, site seems to work fine indefinitely.

- Customer is using Videotron as an ISP, and is located in Canada.

- User has a laptop that exhibits these issues at home, but if he goes to his workplace with the same PC he is able to browse the site with no issues. The workplace uses Videotron as their ISP as well.

- Problem affects main site (including wiki) as well as the forums.

- Customer is able to browse the site using HTTPS with no issues (but Forums do not support HTTPS).

- Site always responds to PING.

- Customer tried connecting directly to cable modem (bypassing router), and reports the same results.

This issue seems very strange, especially because it is only affecting a small percentage of users (that we're aware of). No one on the UDI team is experiencing this issue. I am personally using IE8 full-time with Verizon for my ISP.

I would appreciate if anyone experiencing this issue could comment on any of the above. I'm very interested in finding a common ground between the people who are seeing this problem.

Thanks

I concur with all the observations in MikeB's post, except that for me rebooting the PC does not seem to help.

Possibly related to the cable modem? My modem is Motorola SB4100:

Software Version: SB4100-1.4.9.0-SCM00-NOSH

Hardware Version: 0

MIB Version: II

GUI Version: 1.0

VxWorks Version: 5.3

Both computers at home are running Windows XP with current updates. One is running IE7 and the other is running IE8. They are running different firewall software but the same (corporate) version of Symantec AntiVirus. My ISP is Comcast which I connect to through a Netgear FVS318 router.
  • 3 weeks later...

Add me to the list of people who can't access this site from my home network. I use Firefox and, like mentioned above, I can see the site for about the first page or two and then nothing.

I have HughesNet internet and use AVGFree.

What is interesting is that I can access this site from the same computer, on the same network by bouncing off a proxy server first. This however is a pain.

Any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived