How to set up Google Home

sanders2222

1 hour ago, larryllix said:

I don't use any room settings and leave them blank in both GH and Alexa. I also do not set any items to Scenes as I don't want Alexa or GH to group anything. GH does someof tht anyway. ISY does it better. Most of my controls are using ISY programs as ISY knows best how to stage and sequence multiple brand lighting scenes and probably more than 50% of my devices are now non-Insteon devices. I have no Zwave.

Unlike Larry, I like the way GH groups devices.  I fully populate room info except for a few devices which logically are not in a room. It saves me doing a lot of Insteon programming and lets me ask for example "Turn off all the Outside Lights". I don't mind the staggered effect when the go off. If it bothers you then you must create the Scenes Larry talks about.

I also find that visitors/guests adapt more quickly to this room concept that having to learn a bunch of device names. YMMV

1 hour ago, andrew77 said:

Right now I'm making a scene called Living room that will have all the devices in it. Then I'll tell Alexa to turn it off and just trigger that scene.

This works great.

When I ask Alexa to turn on theatre room, she always says

"I'm sorry, I can't find a device called T-eatre Room"

(I pronounce it properly)

Any ideas?

1 minute ago, andrew77 said:

This works great.

When I ask Alexa to turn on theatre room, she always says

"I'm sorry, I can't find a device called T-eatre Room"

(I pronounce it properly)

Any ideas?

This is long shot.  Try changing the spelling of Theatre to the US spelling Theater.  One of my systems is in Canada and I use US spellings exclusively.

Paul

None of these units hear well if they are in a corner. I turned my ecobee4 unit Alexa off as it was operating things from TV sounds, about 25 feet away. The babbling that it didn't understand while watching TV was annoying. Very bad design idea. The space around them it real important so they can detect ambience. Mounted on a flat wall doesn't work well.

Standing close hardly ever works either??? When I stand in front of my one Alexa or GH the one behind my back at the other end of the room always answers and vice versa, Weird.

21 minutes ago, palayman said:

This is long shot.  Try changing the spelling of Theatre to the US spelling Theater.  One of my systems is in Canada and I use US spellings exclusively.

Paul

Thank you Paul, Worked like a charm.

Some devices seem to be able to accept the command "Dim 20%" where others don't.

Anyone have that pop up before?

1 minute ago, andrew77 said:

Some devices seem to be able to accept the command "Dim 20%" where others don't.

I was actually going to suggest it when you first posted your issue.  Sorry, but I didn't want anyone to think I thought Alexa wasn't culturally sensitive.

4 minutes ago, andrew77 said:

I suspect that 'Dim' was the only word understood. I was trying some of that last night and once the command is understood what to do, it ignored the rest of the words..

2 minutes ago, palayman said:

I was actually going to suggest it when you first posted your issue.  Sorry, but I didn't want anyone to think I thought Alexa wasn't culturally sensitive.

Have you seen the joke video with the Scottish accent? Hilarious!.

5 minutes ago, larryllix said:

I suspect that 'Dim' was the only word understood. I was trying some of that last night and once the command is understood what to do, it ignored the rest of the words..

I'll plug away at this to see if I can be more exact with the issue.

Archived