ISY Finder: Not Found (New Computer, Old ISY99i)

Hi all,

I apologize for being so out of it, but my system has just tootled right along for so many years without any attention from me, I've essentially forgotten how it works!

My system is just exterior lighting and I noticed the lights have not been on the last few days. I reckon it's because I just got a new compute and updated to the latest Mac OS (Mojave). So, I tried to access my system parameters using the old software I had, "ISY994 Administrative Console." This would not launch. I did a little searching, came to the conclusion I needed to update. Came here and dowloaded the new ISY Launcher (v1.0) and ran it (after dealing with Java exceptions). It didn't launch anything. I went to preferences and added ISY Launcher to the Java quick launch applications. Still ISY Finder comes up with "Not Found." I've gone to Add and manually entered the two URLs I've found for the two connected devices I think could be my controller (192.168.1.130 and 192.168.1.119). That still returns "Not Found." Oh, I have an ISY99i and the power light is on, but no other lights (that's probably a bad sign).

I figure I am missing the point and should be doing something else entirely. But I no longer know what that might be. Can anyone advise me? There's probably a sticky post or a simple how-to manual that I should consult.

Thanks for any advise or pointers.

Franz

Hi Franz

It sounds more like something happened to your ISY, not that the computer change, by itself, is a problem. The ISY does not need the admin console or the computer its on for normal operation, only for changes.

Is you lighting control Insteon based? If yes:

• How old is the PLM?
  • Go look at the PLM and see if there is a solid LED on?
    • If no, what happens if you unplug it and replug it back in?
  • For the power light, can you describe the lights on your ISY? Compare to this
    • Sounds like your powersupply went bad, but look at all the lights and be sure

Report back with your findings

Paul

Hi Paul et al.,

Thank you so much for your reply, Paul. I think you're right because, yes, the system is Insteon based and, yes, the PLM does look dead. Unless the LED is ridiculously dim, it's entirely off. I unplugged and replugged, plus I tried the SET button, just for fun, pushing it for six seconds or so. No change. As for the ISY lights, PWR is on, RX, TX, Mem, and Error are off. I bought the PLM a few years ago because the first one went dead. Perhaps this is a normal PLM wear and tear thing (though there is zero of that, just sitting there plugged into a receptacle) and just happened to occur at roughly the time I changed the computer system, making me suspect software issues when it was really hardware.

Franz

(going into a meeting, will check back at 5:30pm PST)

Update: the unit I was calling the "PLM" is in fact an "access point," a Smarthome 2443. The PLM is a 2413S. Its light is on and it shows up on my list of networked devices as 192.168.3.143. ISY Launcher does not, however, connect to it when I use Add and input its URL, nor can I directly connect to it by going to the URL on a browser. Also, when I unplug and replug the ISY994, its RX and TX lights go on and the RX light remains on. When I plug in the 2413S, the ISY994's RX light immediately goes off. A clue? Heck if I know.

18 hours ago, franzmetcalf said:

Hi all,

I apologize for being so out of it, but my system has just tootled right along for so many years without any attention from me, I've essentially forgotten how it works!

My system is just exterior lighting and I noticed the lights have not been on the last few days. I reckon it's because I just got a new compute and updated to the latest Mac OS (Mojave). So, I tried to access my system parameters using the old software I had, "ISY994 Administrative Console." This would not launch. I did a little searching, came to the conclusion I needed to update. Came here and dowloaded the new ISY Launcher (v1.0) and ran it (after dealing with Java exceptions). It didn't launch anything. I went to preferences and added ISY Launcher to the Java quick launch applications. Still ISY Finder comes up with "Not Found." I've gone to Add and manually entered the two URLs I've found for the two connected devices I think could be my controller (192.168.1.130 and 192.168.1.119). That still returns "Not Found." Oh, I have an ISY99i and the power light is on, but no other lights (that's probably a bad sign).

I figure I am missing the point and should be doing something else entirely. But I no longer know what that might be. Can anyone advise me? There's probably a sticky post or a simple how-to manual that I should consult.

Thanks for any advise or pointers.

Franz

Take a look at these troubleshooting tips for the MAC   https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page#ISY_Finder_does_not_find_ISY

If your ISY is the 99i and not the 994 then you should consider upgrading the ISY as the 99i is no longer supported, and its firmware is obsolete.

Okay, thanks Paul and Techman. Zeroing in on the 99i, I have powered it off and on and connected directly to it via ethernet. I find that its lights are all doing what they should do. That is, on powering up, RX and TX flash, seemingly looking for the network. And, when I disconnected  the 99i from the network, MEM and ERR flashed, then went out when I reconnected the 99i. This suggests, I believe, that the 99i has power. So, I followed the troubleshooting instructions and learned that my hostname seems to be socal.rr.com. But the text in /private/etc/hosts is:

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1    localhost
255.255.255.255    broadcasthost
::1             localhost 

Troubleshooting says "make sure you have right below the first 127.0.0.1 listing: 127.0.0.1 whatever-hostname-you-copied-in-step2." Clearly, I don't have that. What's next?

Thanks,

Franz

Paul,

Last night I noticed that *some* of my lights were on and others were not. I'm confused. I'll pay attention tonight, but I really do need to be able to access the ISY eventually.

BTW: it's nice to see someone else putting a typo in his own name. I do it all the time!

Franz (I was careful)

If you're trying still trying to determine the IP address of your ISY, you might be able to do the following, provided that your ISY is on the same subnet as your Mac.

Open a terminal on your Mac.  At the command prompt, type the following: ifconfig | arp -a | grep 0:21:b9

This should return something like this:

iMac:~ user$ ifconfig | arp -a | grep 0:21:b9
? (192.168.1.20) at 0:21:b9:x:xx:xx on en1 ifscope [ethernet]

The first three octets of the ISY's mac address should contain the Organizationally Unique Identifier for Universal Devices (which appears to be 0:21:b9, followed by three more octets that identify the specific machine).  As you can see above, this should return the IP address of your ISY.

EDIT: Calling 'ifconfig' stimulates network activity on all the hosts in the network, which updates the cache that 'arp' uses to resolve mac addresses to IP addresses.  Or something like that... ?

• 2 weeks later...

Using terminal I find no ISY. The command ifconfig | arp -a | grep 0:21:b9 returns nothing. Being more inclusive returns this:

My-Dharma:~ Franz$ ifconfig | arp -a

linksys25657 (192.168.1.1) at 60:38:e0:2f:37:e0 on en6 ifscope [ethernet]

? (224.0.0.251) at 1:0:5e:0:0:fb on en6 ifscope permanent [ethernet]

No ISYs there. I've opened up a ticket and will report back, in case a resolution to my case might help anyone else.

Cheers,

Franz

@franzmetcalf are you running any virtualization like parallels or virtualbox, vmware fusion?  

I ran into a similar issue and it was the virtual network adapter that virtualbox had installed.  The ISY Finder and several other programs were having UDP broadcast issues.  It took me a while but then I remembered I had a similar issue before and I disabled the vnic and viola ISY finder and my other program worked again!

Archived