Alternative to Fanlinc?

drich

The old ones are all labeled "0912 REV1.1" and the new ones are a mix of "3.1 4118" and "3.1S 3418". The old ones show up as v.41 in my ISY, the new ones as v.45.

Sorry, my resurrected fanlinc says “3.0S 3018” on the back, and is seen as v.45 by my ISY.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I just updated my open ticket with Smarthome

(My reply via browser didn’t go, so imagine my previous one to be after this resend of the missing one. *grin*)

Get a hub.

I finally gave up on the ISY and my fanlinc, as I REALLY needed to get my wife a fan solution. The ISY thought it was working the fan, but nothing was right. Comm failures, no power out to the motor, reboot loops with a load on the light output, buttons worked and the ISY saw the state, but couldn’t change it. I was getting V.00 on a query.

So I introduced this fanlinc to a hub, giving the address and a name, and letting it figure out the rest. It went through the 10-step comm test quickly, and then wrote something to the fanlinc. I tested it from the IOS app, and the light worked. So...

I deleted it from the ISY and re-added it, putting it back into the scenes I had built, and now everything is working fine on the bench.

My guess is: There is some initial configuration item that was probably hardcoded in the firmware of the old fanlincs, that is not In the new ones, and nobody at Smarthome knows that, because they always test with a hub, which automatically fixes the issue. They don’t see your problem, and the working RMA’d units we get back clearly spent their last minutes on the bench talking to a hub.

So, fresh, out-of-the-box fanlincs are braindead until they bond with a hub.

2 hours ago, lbiffle said:

(My reply via browser didn’t go, so imagine my previous one to be after this resend of the missing one. *grin*)

Get a hub.

I finally gave up on the ISY and my fanlinc, as I REALLY needed to get my wife a fan solution. The ISY thought it was working the fan, but nothing was right. Comm failures, no power out to the motor, reboot loops with a load on the light output, buttons worked and the ISY saw the state, but couldn’t change it. I was getting V.00 on a query.

So I introduced this fanlinc to a hub, giving the address and a name, and letting it figure out the rest. It went through the 10-step comm test quickly, and then wrote something to the fanlinc. I tested it from the IOS app, and the light worked. So...

I deleted it from the ISY and re-added it, putting it back into the scenes I had built, and now everything is working fine on the bench.

My guess is: There is some initial configuration item that was probably hardcoded in the firmware of the old fanlincs, that is not In the new ones, and nobody at Smarthome knows that, because they always test with a hub, which automatically fixes the issue. They don’t see your problem, and the working RMA’d units we get back clearly spent their last minutes on the bench talking to a hub.

So, fresh, out-of-the-box fanlincs are braindead until they bond with a hub.

What firmware/UI are you using with the isy? The hub doesn't change anything within the fanlinc itself. When you configured your devices with the hub, the links were stored within the devices themselves which is why they can still talk

I know this doesn't help with the problems y'all are experiencing, but I just wanted to add my two cents on fanlincs. 

I have recently put in three Modern Fan Torsion fans with a light kit with fanlincs, keypadlincs, and an ISY. It all works perfectly. There's no hum at all and the led light dims unbelievably well.

A long time ago, I put in a similar setup for an old Hunter Douglas fan when the fanlincs first came out. It worked great, too.

I did have to RMA two version 2 fanlincs when a nearby substation blew up, but they were working great before that. The latest version is 3.1, I believe.

What firmware/UI are you using with the isy? The hub doesn't change anything within the fanlinc itself. When you configured your devices with the hub, the links were stored within the devices themselves which is why they can still talk

4.7.3 for both. The hub said it was configuring the fanlinc. Whatever it did made the device work. Thanks.

Archived