Jump to content

Options when migrating to Nodelink


johnnyt

Recommended Posts

I'm migrating to NodeLink after having used DSCLink and VenLink for many years and wanted to get advice on the options I have.

Option 1 is to find each one of my programs with a DSCLink/VenLink variable and change each instance with the matching NodeLink device. Using the "find" function I counted roughly 80-90 programs with relevant variables. As this is not something I can use the "Replace" function to do, it's going to be a bit tedious.

Option 2 is to write a program for each one of the NodeLink devices that changes the relevant DSCLink/VenLink variable as those devices change and just leave all the other programs alone.

The advantage of #1 is that I could delete the unneeded variables and wouldn't need to add more programs to support/troubleshoot. With over 900 programs and almost 300 variables the admin console is already painfully slow to load and backup, etc. so a reduction in the number of programs and variables is more where I'd like to go, but...

The advantage of #2 is that I wouldn't have to spend the time going through 80-90 programs.

Are there other options? or options to make the job of changing 80-90 programs easier?

Are there advantages to either one that I'm not seeing? In particular, does working with devices (option #1) provide functionality or other benefits (present or future) over working with variables (#2)

Any advice would be appreciated.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having done this, a strong vote for 1. Nodeservers are about direct integration to the ISY. Having an abstraction layer of variables will use memory and processor overhead and potentially vexing to debug. I do have a few “no other choice” scenarios where I do copy from node to variables, but only when direct won’t work.

One thing I did was leave venlink running and cut over a little at a time. I did that in some cases by copying a venlink program and disabling the original. Then make the node for variable substitutions. If I got it to work, I deleted the original venlink program and variables. Or, if it took a few days to figure out. I could disable the new node program and enable the original venlink program to keep things running. Eventually in finished and shut venlink down 

Paul

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...