Sudden Problems (lots of questions)

Wayne

Hello everyone! I have been gone for a long time due to a very reliable setup, but I'm back with some major (to me anyway) trouble. I hope you all can help.

My system had been running great but I had 2 SL dimmers and 3 SL relays quit working, totally blacked out with no power. So I got some replacements and installed 1 of them (a relay).

I logged in to the admin console and was advised to upgrade to the latest firmware, so I did. I performed a backup as well but the file shows that it is 0kb so I don't think there is anything in that file. I tried to restore from the backup during all this and it failed as well).

Now nothing works from the admin console. I can't even change the status of a light. I tried to do a "replace with" fuction for the new SL but I just got the eternal system busy indicator. No matter what I try I get "failed" and/or "can't communicate with device" (any of the devices even when just trying to cycle a light on and off from the admin console).

I power cycled the ISY-26 and the PLM but nothing has changed.

If I have to reset all of my devices and clear my PLM/ISY I'm ok with that as I'm going to make a bunch of changes to my current setup anyway. I have 5 replacement switches and I'm adding a couple more as well as changing a few of my scenes.

Does anyone have any suggestions I can try when I get home from work?

If I have to start from scratch, what's the best way to proceed clearing everything?

By the way here is a list of devices I have:

Universal Devices ISY-26

7 of the 8 button KPL dimmers (2486D)

11 of the Switch Link Dimmers (2476D). Will soon be 8 instead of 11.

3 of the Switch Link Relays (2476S). Will soon be 6 instead of 3.

1 Switch Link Dimmer 1000 watt (2476DH)

1 set of the old access point/phase couplers (whatever the were called)

1 OutletLink I plan to install this weekend.

1 X10 Powerflash Interface

1 X10 phase coupler that plugs in to a 220 volt drier outlet

I have about 10 scenes in the ISY.

Thanks for reading such a long post and for any input,

Wayne

If you cannot control any devices, please start by:

- close all browser windows

- clear your Java cache

http://www.universal-devices.com/mwiki/ ... Java_Cache

- open the Admin Console

- click TOOLS, DIAGNOSTICS, PLM INFO/STATUS

... and let us know what you see.

To answer your question, if you do decide to do a fresh start I personally would factory reset all your devices individually, factory reset your PLM, factory reset your ISY, and add your devices in from scratch.

I would, however, not start from scratch unless absolutely necessary. I don't believe the symptoms you are describing so far warrant it.

If you cannot control any devices, please start by:

- close all browser windows

- clear your Java cache

- open the Admin Console

- click TOOLS, DIAGNOSTICS, PLM INFO/STATUS

... and let us know what you see.

Mike,

Here is what I saw:

"0.0.0.V0 not connected"

I rebooted my ISY and power cycled my PLM but still get "0.0.0.V0 not connected".

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Sounds like your PLM has gone south.

Rand

Rand

Is it possible the PLM could have been dead for a while and I just didn't know it? I have not used the admin console to operate any devices in months? I only went to use it a couple days ago so that I could replace some bad devices. Other than that it has been a case of "set it and forget it".

Seems odd/coincidental, that everything was working fine until I uprgaded the ISY firmware, but I guess its possible the PLM was already dead.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a shot after work.

Wayne

With the PLM plugged into the wall, do you see a light on it?

If so do you see any flashing on it if you were to go to a scene button on a keypad and push the button. It would have to be something that is linked to something else in order to see the flashing.

Steve L

Smarthome

Is it possible the PLM could have been dead for a while and I just didn't know it? I have not used the admin console to operate any devices in months? I only went to use it a couple days ago so that I could replace some bad devices. Other than that it has been a case of "set it and forget it".

If the PLM is dead, you will not be able to control or program Insteon devices from the ISY. ISY programs that control Insteon devices - for example, turn lights on at particular times of the day - would also not work.

If you only used the ISY for configuring your Insteon devices you might not notice a dead PLM until the next time you need to make configuration changes.

With the PLM plugged into the wall, do you see a light on it?

When I reset the PLM, I get the flashing light sequence then it goes dark. When I press buttons on any Insteon switches/keypads I don't get any flashing of the light on the PLM.

Also, as stated earlier, I still don't see the PLM connected the the ISY when I check the status of the PLM.

It looks like I will have to call smarthome and get an RMA#.

Wayne

• 1 month later...

Hi Wayne,

All you have to do is:

1. Make sure you have Event Viewer on level 3

2. Put your RF devices in programming mode

3. Click on to File | Restore Modem (PLM)

When done - and if and only if you get a Request Failed - look at your event viewer to see which devices failed. For each that failed, please do Restore Device on that device.

With kind regards,

Michel

Just got a replacement PLM. How should I proceed? Should I start by doing a restore PLM?

Thanks,

Wayne

Archived