Initializing with only a computer

I am trying to find the instructions for getting an ISY994i ZW+Pro operating.  I am only using a computer connected directly to the network port on the ISY.  The ISY finder does not see the 994i.  Can someone please point me to where the instructions are to get this configuration working?  They are referenced in the 994i manual but the hot link only takes you back to the wiki page.  I could not see the instructions there.

Thanks!

I am trying to find the instructions for getting an ISY994i ZW+Pro operating.  I am only using a computer connected directly to the network port on the ISY.  The ISY finder does not see the 994i.  Can someone please point me to where the instructions are to get this configuration working?  They are referenced in the 994i manual but the hot link only takes you back to the wiki page.  I could not see the instructions there.

Thanks!

You don’t have a router? It’s probably doable but it would require network knowledge that I don’t have. I believe you would need to configure your computer network settings to do this and would maybe need a crossover cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the UDI forums! 

You can do it this way but you’ll need a cat 5 cross-over cable. Either terminate one yourself or buy one. I’ve not tried that so not sure how it would work, meaning I’m not sure where the ip addresses would come from.

As @TrojanHorse pointed out, ideally your computer and ISY should be connected to the intended network with a router and TCP/IP addresses assigned. Not just for configuration, but also regular operation. 

Depending what network functions of the ISY you will use, or nodeservers, you will probably want to assign an address to your ISY.

A couple of links. 

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Quick_Start_Guide#Network_Connection

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Paul

A regular cable will do just fine unless your computer is over 20 years old. Ethernet ports are self reversing now.

However, you will have to manually set your ISY port and turn off DHCP, or you will need to know what it's IP address us set to.

On your PC you will need to manually set the IP address of its port, to the same IP subnet.

IOW if your ISY is set to 192.168.0.161 then set your PC to 192.168.0.1.

When you are done you will need to set both ports back to DHCP again.

For the ISY finder I have always had to add a manual url to it, as it has never found my ISY yet, for 5 years and dozens of versions.

Sent using Tapatalk

Archived