Help and Fear

FEAR!!!  Where can I find out what happens when I right click on a device then choose the following options:  Restore device, delete, write update to device, Group Devices, Move to Folder.  I don't want to create problems for myself by ignorantly clicking on something in the old trial and error method.  Thanks for some help.    

1 hour ago, BillyD said:

FEAR!!!  Where can I find out what happens when I right click on a device then choose the following options:  Restore device, delete, write update to device, Group Devices, Move to Folder.  I don't want to create problems for myself by ignorantly clicking on something in the old trial and error method.  Thanks for some help.    

Restore - writes the image that ISY thinks is in the device. Not likely to ever hurt a device. Use after factory resetting a device or a link is fouled.
Delete - self explanatory. The device will disappear and need to be relinked. Back links to the PLM in the device may be deleted also
Write update - writes waiting updates involved with battery devices that must be put into Linking mode first. Battery saving feature turns linking mode off.
Group devices - used to make a group of nodes in one device look like one device under a folder style device. Eg for a stat - temp, humidity, fan, etc..
Move to folder - I don't know. I never use it but rather I drag and drop devices into and out of folders.

Everything so far is undoable and you can't really hurt them. Try each one and then fix it if required so you remember better. People are always here to help you.

@larryllix described them well.. plus

• Move to Folder - is simply a structured way to decide what folder to file it in under the Main tab. I click, drag and drop like Larry does.
  • Group - to add to larry's explanation... its for devices that have multiple nodes like a key pad.. it has 6 or 8 keys. Or a 2 outlet outlet linc. Grouping them presents one Device in main with a "+" sign, and then all the other devices underneath after you press plus.  Ungrouping makes them separate devices.
    • Some things to know:
      • Grouping does not affect how the device functions... its simply for admin console organization
      • There's no right or wrong answer in grouping or not, its what helps you organize. I typically group my keypad keys because the functions are usually specific to the location. For my dual outletlinc, I don't group it. I have completely different functions supported by it and I want the device under the right function in the right folder.
      • You can't make up your own groups of separate devices / light switches... grouping only works on multi node insteon devices

Here's a keypad in the admin console where where the buttons are grouped.

image.png.6ad594f8da1ee33b9af707f5aaf3043b.png

Here's the manual. These  topics are discussed on page 25

Paul

One more thought: 'Restore device' is has become a "catch all" for flaky insteon device behavior that involves scenes.  If a device has been in place for several years with no changes... or .. has experienced a brown out / blackout.... and... starts behaving unpredictably: The prescription is to factory reset the device, and then follow it with a restore device. This clears the device out and writes the intended links back into it. Its kind of a cliche recommendation... but solves problems a large percentage of the incidents of flaky insteon behavior with scenes.

Paul

5 hours ago, BillyD said:

Take a look at this "ISY Cookbook" it has most of your answers and then some.

ISY_Cookbook.pdf

Archived