Can I Use A Micro On/Off Module Behind A Fan Speed Wall Control?

gregkinney

I have an existing ceiling fan that is controlled by the 4 speed in-wall switch that came with the fan. Is it possible to use a micro on/off module either in the fan canopy or behind the in-wall fan speed switch? I only use the fan on low speed so my goal is to set the fan speed to low on the in-wall fan switch and then I can toggle it on and off with my phone or KPL through the micro on/off module.

24 minutes ago, gregkinney said:

I have an existing ceiling fan that is controlled by the 4 speed in-wall switch that came with the fan. Is it possible to use a micro on/off module either in the fan canopy or behind the in-wall fan speed switch? I only use the fan on low speed so my goal is to set the fan speed to low on the in-wall fan switch and then I can toggle it on and off with my phone or KPL through the micro on/off module

I would remove there module and then install the micromodule. That's actually my plan for the future when my fanlincs die since I never change the speeds

11 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I would remove there module and then install the micromodule. That's actually my plan for the future when my fanlincs die since I never change the speeds

Unfortunately, the fan will only operate on high when I do this. I would like to use the fan on low. Here's a picture of the wall switch that came with the fan.

91R47VFr+5L._SL1500_.jpg

It all depends on how the fan responds to its controller. If you cut power to the fan, does it start back up if left on? If it does then the micromodule will work. 

You can also use the sense wire that's on the micromodule when you use the fan locally so you don't lose any control. That however comes down to whether or not your remote is wireless though. 

36 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

It all depends on how the fan responds to its controller. If you cut power to the fan, does it start back up if left on? If it does then the micromodule will work. 

You can also use the sense wire that's on the micromodule when you use the fan locally so you don't lose any control. That however comes down to whether or not your remote is wireless though. 

It's not a remote. Just that in-wall switch in the picture. If the in-wall switch is at full power, I can toggle the fan on and off with the micro on/off module. If I set the fan speed to low using the in-wall switch, then the micro on/off module loses its power. I didn't know if I had it wired incorrectly or if it wasn't possible.

6 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

It sounds like it's wired incorrectly.the micromodule should be wired to receive constant hot. 

Thank you for your help. I believe I just corrected the wiring and hooked it up as a latching switch. I can toggle the on/off module successfully now regardless of the state of the in-wall fan switch.

When I adjust the in-wall fan switch, it turns the fan on and off. However, if I put the in-wall switch to low speed, it does not turn on at low speed. It is either high speed or off. So each time I change the in-wall switch, say from low to medium, it just changes the state of the fan to off if it was currently on, or vice versa. I understand now that the micro on/off module is operating as Insteon intended, and so it doesn't seem possible to have the fan speed set to low and then use the micro on/off module to toggle the fan state on and off, with on being the low fan speed that the in-wall switch is set to. 

2 hours ago, gregkinney said:

I understand now that the micro on/off module is operating as Insteon intended, and so it doesn't seem possible to have the fan speed set to low and then use the micro on/off module to toggle the fan state on and off, with on being the low fan speed that the in-wall switch is set to. 

That should be possible: simply wire them in series.  Your hot coming into the box runs first to the micro module, then out of the load side of that into the existing fan controller, then out of that to the fan.  Then wire your neutrals and grounds together.  The micro module has constant power, and can provide or remove electricity to the fan controller using Insteon.  Speed adjustment is only on the old fashioned fan controller.

4 hours ago, jec6613 said:

That should be possible: simply wire them in series.  Your hot coming into the box runs first to the micro module, then out of the load side of that into the existing fan controller, then out of that to the fan.  Then wire your neutrals and grounds together.  The micro module has constant power, and can provide or remove electricity to the fan controller using Insteon.  Speed adjustment is only on the old fashioned fan controller.

Thank you a million! That worked!

Archived