What does ISY do with the info?

Just wondering if the ISY does any type of logging with the info from the energy meter, or if the information is only available for real-time use in programs?

Thanks!

Currently it is only available for use real-time in programs.

I did an experiment with some javascript served from the ISY's web server where I tacked some of the climate module data in the java script variables and then charted them. The same could be done with the energy module.

Ah, thanks! Anyone from Universal Devices: Is there any future plan to build in any type of enhnaced logging for these devices? I know it can be accomplished via a computer, but one of the reasons for running an ISY is to eliminate the need to have a computer on at all times. :)

I haven't tried it out yet, but there's a web service called Pachube that looks like it would be useful for logging/graphing energy usage. Might also be useful for logging climate data.

You would need to have the Network module enabled on the ISY in order to send updates to the website.

-Jim

Since the ECM-1240 has multiple inputs, one action I hope will be part of its future ISY support is the ability to take action when an input starts drawing power and stops drawing power. I plan to put the washer and drawer on their own zones, and I'd love to be able to trigger an ISY program to run when either of them stops drawing power (e.g., finishes a cycle).

It is free to sign up at the wattzon site, at least for individuals. I keep meaning to try and put my data in the right format and upload it but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Hi Bob, I would be very interested in your experiences ... please keep me posted.

With kind regards,

Michel

It is free to sign up at the wattzon site, at least for individuals. I keep meaning to try and put my data in the right format and upload it but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Hi Jim, this is excellent. Now, the only thing we need is to click on a time and then figure out the status of all devices during that time period!

With kind regards,

Michel

I've been playing around with Pachube a bit and have a data feed working here to log energy usage. Until I saw a 24-hour graph, I never realized what a bad job our local utility is doing about maintaining a steady line voltage!

-Jim

• 2 years later...

Has there been any progress with Pachube or other logging service? I haven't seen anything specific in any of the code updates. I recently started logging my Brultech to Pachube and it would be nice to figure out a way to correlate ISY event's to a central location. If anything, just be able to show things with a common timestamp.

I can envision having a check box on each device to indicate whether status changes (ie. On/Off) should send a log event. To handle internet outages or just to cut down on traffic, the ISY could queue these log events to a local buffer and upload periodically (once a minute/hour/etc.)

Thanks, Morris

Hello mohansen,

Unfortunately not simply because I can count the number of our Brultech Modules customers in one hand!

This said, we have been working with some utilities using Orchestrator 994iE (with an integrated High Powered Zigbee radio) and Brultech monitors for monitoring energy. Check-it.ca is the portal company which collects all the information and you can view it in very many different types/formats. This said, Check-it.ca is NOT a free service and I am entirely sure how much they charge with this server.

In addition to monitoring, you can see the status of your devices and even control them through Check-it.ca AND you do not need port forwarding.

We were almost 1/4 way in supporting Google Power Meter before they decided to close down.

So, currently, we do not have any plans for any other types of logging/event publishing of energy information.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel,

I think my message was a little confusing. I only mentioned Brultech because that is how I started using Pachube.

I have over 75 Insteon devices and I would guess my reliability is probably around 80% which is better than I had before I replaced my 2 v35 devices. I have not had a large chunk of free time to devote to debugging my Insteon network and from watching various other users, it looks like debugging events is a challenge. I don't even know where to start.

I thought having a central repository would help with debugging and have the upside to having others create a way to correlate energy/security/etc data to the ISY.

Even syslog which is more common than Pachube could be used to log the data.

Sorry for the confusion.

Morris

Hello Morris,

I agree that syslog would be a good idea and that's on our plate.

In the meantime, please start with the Error log. Do you have any communication errors? Is there a pattern to these comm. errors? Is it only specific devices or random? Does time play a role? Is it more scenes related or do you have errors even if you communicate with devices directly?

Once we narrow down the problem, then we can use the Event Viewer to figure out what's causing the errors.

With kind regards,

Archived