On off switch sometimes controls keypad

7 minutes ago, smarthome_newbie said:

Ugh. I’m screwed. 

Try the electrical utility first. They may provide some free inspection and/or monitoring of your incoming system. Home Automation people are usually locksmiths here, and would know very little about electrical things. If you are getting it free then why not?

Try unplugging your ISY and PLM and see if things change. Unplug every other device than the keypad with the biggest problem.

Try the electrical utility first. They may provide some free inspection and/or monitoring of your incoming system. Home Automation people are usually locksmiths here, and would know very little about electrical things. If you are getting it free then why not?
Try unplugging your ISY and PLM and see if things change. Unplug every other device than the keypad with the biggest problem.

If it was electrical related, wouldn’t I have same issues with flashing before Insteon was installed? I didn’t have that issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one is saying what you have. If you don't believe it's electrical it doesn't take away from your problems. There are only 4 things out there that it can be. Electrical, the worse install ever done, made up issues, or gremlins. Regardless of reason, We cannot help you. 

Mechanical switches are not the same as electronic switches. 

No one is saying what you have. If you don't believe it's electrical it doesn't take away from your problems. There are only 4 things out there that it can be. Electrical, the worse install ever done, made up issues, or gremlins. Regardless of reason, We cannot help you. 
Mechanical switches are not the same as electronic switches. 

What do mean by “made up issues?”

Haven’t read this closely. Sounds unfortunate. For the light flicker - have you tried incandescent bulbs? If those don’t flicker then that issue is not (likely) a wiring issue. I’ve had LEDs flicker when other switches are activated. Seems they respond to powerline noise at lower dim levels for me.

I have, occasionally, noticed LED lighting rapidly flicker during periods of insteon communication.  I am not sure that I would describe it as "flashing", but just wanted to be clear.

I would expect that most electrical problems would be evident consistently.  Assuming the wires are good (new house), the only wiring thing that comes to mind that might cause intermittent issues would be poor connections.  This seems unlikely to me from a reputable electrician.

Based upon what I have read here, I would focus on:

- surge suppressor

- incompatible loads

- sources of interference for insteon communication

- programming and scenes in the ISY-994.

I do not think you are screwed here, but you must be ready for troubleshooting.  This can be very tedious and requires a certain amount of precision and focus, along with time.  

Who performed your programming of the ISY-994?  Do you even have one?

I have, occasionally, noticed LED lighting rapidly flicker during periods of insteon communication.  I am not sure that I would describe it as "flashing", but just wanted to be clear.
I would expect that most electrical problems would be evident consistently.  Assuming the wires are good (new house), the only wiring thing that comes to mind that might cause intermittent issues would be poor connections.  This seems unlikely to me from a reputable electrician.
Based upon what I have read here, I would focus on:
- surge suppressor
- incompatible loads
- sources of interference for insteon communication
- programming and scenes in the ISY-994.
I do not think you are screwed here, but you must be ready for troubleshooting.  This can be very tedious and requires a certain amount of precision and focus, along with time.  
Who performed your programming of the ISY-994?  Do you even have one?

Thanks for your comments. I programmed the ISY, but have done a factory reset on the switches and the issue still persists, so don’t think it’s ISY related. Can you elaborate on what you mean by “incompatible loads”?

1 hour ago, smarthome_newbie said:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by “incompatible loads”?

Light bulbs which are not compatible with the switch, as an example.  Fans (an inductive load) connected to the wrong switch is another.  I don’t know whether this is the case with you, but these kinds of things need to be considered.

Archived