Diagnosis and Query Okay, but Some Lighting Doesn't Come On

franzmetcalf

Hi all,

I recently replaced a six button controller (seemingly successfully) and a responding simple non-dimming switch (also seemingly successfully). Everything seems to check out fine using the admin console. I can query the system and it looks good. All the links check out and communication between my PLM and all the devices, including the new ones, seems fine. The console even tells me I can successfully use the program to turn my exterior lights on and off. But...in reality, only some scenes in my system turn on at night. The scenes associated with my new switch (2477s) do not turn on, neither by the program, nor manually.

I'm stumped and I have this feeling I'm neglecting something crushingly obvious. Can anyone suggest what that might be or some way to further diagnose the situation?

Thanks,

Franz

Thanks, lilyoyo1, I have a very simple setup with my PLM connecting to two exterior lighting areas. "East Yard Down Lights" is controlled by one dimmer switch. "Stairs, Landing, and Pergola" is controlled by the new switch I just installed, which is, in turn, controlled by "Front Keypad" with six buttons, which I also just installed. There is only one program. To be clear, "East Yard Down Lights" does come on; "Stairs, Landing, Pergola" does not.

But perhaps a couple of pictures are worth a couple thousand words...

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 1.21.49 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 1.25.59 PM.jpg

lilyoyo1, as it turns out, I went back into the basement today for unrelated reasons, and I noticed a couple of previously ignored toggle switches in the box in which my new device sits. Just for fun I decided to toggle them the opposite way and use the new switch to try to turn on the lights. Darned if they didn't come on! What the heck those toggles are doing there, I don't know. And why I have this giant box I don't know, either. I reckon the installer put it there for future-proofing ten years ago. Oh, and why were the toggles toggled off? Again, no idea, but I'm pretty confident the lights will come on at sunset +10 minutes, this evening.

Bottom line: simplest possible fix, ignored until every other possibility was exhausted. Typical!

Franz

25 minutes ago, franzmetcalf said:

lilyoyo1, as it turns out, I went back into the basement today for unrelated reasons, and I noticed a couple of previously ignored toggle switches in the box in which my new device sits. Just for fun I decided to toggle them the opposite way and use the new switch to try to turn on the lights. Darned if they didn't come on! What the heck those toggles are doing there, I don't know. And why I have this giant box I don't know, either. I reckon the installer put it there for future-proofing ten years ago. Oh, and why were the toggles toggled off? Again, no idea, but I'm pretty confident the lights will come on at sunset +10 minutes, this evening.

Bottom line: simplest possible fix, ignored until every other possibility was exhausted. Typical!

Franz

When I still had regular toggle switches that could cause issues when in a wrong position, I had covers so they couldn't be easily toggled. it boggled my mind how many people will flip a switch, not see anything happen, then leave it in that position! I would discover it when a light that should come on at sunset, didn't. Everything is "smart" now, and programmatically automated, so no longer an issue, but what a pain until I reached full automation. 

Archived